Author Topic: 4wd club  (Read 4803 times)

Offline brettc

• Swag User
4wd club
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Hello everyone
i've been thinking of joining a 4wd club for a while but would like an opinion or 2 on which club and why. firstly i live in the newcastle area and needs to be family orientated and camper trailer friendly. i'm interested in weekends away or longer trips with like minded people. any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brett

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 4wd club
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »
Hi Brett. Do you want a vehicle specific club for the type of 4wd you drive or just a general club?
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
My recommendation to anybody looking for a club is take your time.

Go to 2 general meetings with each club...   See what the people are like. See what vibe you get. Some are full of relics that love politics, and motions, and points of order etc... others are more interested in 4wding/camping/travelling..

Then go on at least 1 trip with each of them to make sure they aren't drunks, or swingers or stoner hillbillies. You get the drift.

Also look into what you get for your money. Some clubs represent great value for money with driver training included in membership, others charge you up the wazoo for it. The amount some clubs in this country charge should get you your own acre to keep.

Good luck.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
. Some clubs represent great value for money with driver training included in membership, others charge you up the wazoo for it. The amount some clubs in this country charge should get you your own acre to keep.

Or charge you a membership and then for the COMPULSORY club driver training, even if you have been driving 4x4's for 20 years or have qualifications from somewhere else.... :(

Some of them have an over  inflated sense of their own self importance, while others are good family oriented clubs. I must admit to leeting  my membership of my Service Organisation affiliated club lapse due to my own lack of ability to participate, and didnt see the point of paying membership for something i never use, but no other reason. Clubs can be a great place to make friends, organise trips and general good times. I hope you find a good one in your area!!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:30:13 PM by DeLuxHiLux »
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
Then go on at least 1 trip with each of them to make sure they aren't drunks, or swingers or stoner hillbillies.

Lost you got the details of that club ;D
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:29 PM »
Quote from: DeLuxHiLux
Or charge you a membership and then for the COMPULSORY club driver training, even if you have been driving 4x4's for 20 years or have qualifications from somewhere else.... :(
Yep you are right.

But in their defence, I've seen people who tell you that they have been wheeling since your grandpappy were an itch in his daddys pants yet you wouldn't let them in your passengers seat. I've also seen *trained* people that are the same.

What is the solution?

It all comes down to safety of all members in the end... If someone has to do training again, stiff Shit for them. I'd rather see someone prove to me that he can do what he suggests than find a shackle going thru my forehead. Most people dont have an issue with it.
Also sadly it is insurance rules for some clubs (not all go with the 4wd association insurance). Most clubs include the training in their membership..

These days recognised qualifications elsewhere if they are accredited training courses should get you past... but I bet it wont save you the $$$ on the membership.

Some of them have an over  inflated sense of their owen self importance, while others are good family oriented clubs.
Agree 500%!!!!!! Or small groups of people may have their own agenda... like a club property they are setting up to suit themselves with the everyones money...

Thus why I suggest trying many clubs and to go to more than one event too.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »
Quote from: Burnsy
Lost you got the details of that club ;D
Yes I do... you'd be suprised how much tag team goes on in it....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
Lost...... Exactly!!!

It's one thing however to make someone sit through seemingly endless "theory" when a recognition officer could evaluate someone on what they can actually do etc by watching and observing their skills. It's in the way they go about it i suppose. Such is the the landscape now where everyone is sh!t scared of getting sued 5 ways to Sunday that it's all a bit over the top really, and common sense has no place in the modern world :(

'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline RichardW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Out and About from North Rocks, Sydney
    • Profile and Images
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:34 AM »
Brett,
You can have a look here:
http://www.4wdnsw-act.asn.au/club_search.php
Select Hunter  in the second box and click on Region
Richard
2005 Landcruiser TD100 & Wallaby Hard Top Camper Trailer
Profile and Images

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
We are club members for almost 5 years and we love it.
It is a family orientated club with all sorts of vehicles, we even had a Jeep. :-)
We do day trips, weekends away and long holiday trips: CSR, Israelite Bay, Lake Eyre.
The problem we find now is that everyone is so busy personally that the same people is coming for a trip, some you won't see at all: too busy.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
Brett,
You can have a look here:
http://www.4wdnsw-act.asn.au/club_search.php
Select Hunter  in the second box and click on Region

Ah, finally someone answered the question of the OP rather than ranting on about the pro and cons of clubs.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Ah, finally someone answered the question of the OP rather than ranting on about the pro and cons of clubs.
Im fairly sure he would have found that with 5 seconds and google.. maybe he was asking for personal thoughts on the clubs in the area
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »
this is why we need a "karma" system
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
I could have given mine, but as he isn't in WA that wouldn't have helped him.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline brettc

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Hi Brett. Do you want a vehicle specific club for the type of 4wd you drive or just a general club?

Hi Pete
I drive a prado which is basically standard except for a couple of things ( many on the wish list ) so probably a general club would be the best bet. i'm not into hard core stuff but would tackle medium grade tracks. i have looked at couple on the web but might go to a couple of meetings before i decide.

Thanks Brett                                     

Offline brettc

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
Hello everyone
i've been thinking of joining a 4wd club for a while but would like an opinion or 2 on which club and why. firstly i live in the newcastle area and needs to be family orientated and camper trailer friendly. i'm interested in weekends away or longer trips with like minded people. any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brett
Thanks to everyone who replied, i have looked at a couple of clubs but need to attend meetings first. As always the info put forward by members has been very helpful and i have taken all those points to help make a decision.

Thanks again
Brett