Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 678710 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #825 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
Using the purpose built space for the ESC's in the undercarriage has saved me heaps of space. Even if at some stage I break the undercarriage, where they are at the moment is perfect. Have a look at the thread on rcgroups for the Alien 560 I posted before. A lot of people have replaced the undercarriage with crab landing gear and lost that space altogether, but it would be simple enough to cut the ESC mounts off of the legs if need be and still have a purpose made place for your ESC's.

I have removed the heat shrink from the ESC's unsoldered the power supply cables and then soldered them back on so the cables face in the same direction as the motor cables, all in the name of making sure the cables are as short as possible.

Very nice, I like that little spot for the ESC's.  Offers some protection there too by the looks of things.  I'd also say that they'd get some of the prop tip air pushing onto them too to help keep them cooled.

I just put an order into HK for my quad bits, I'm going to try a 250 frame.....  I'm going to order a blackout clone frame but that can wait till after Christmas, till then it will be the HK frame....  I cant believe that HK is out of 2 bladed 5030 props.....  I had to buy the clear ones, I'll have to order some from elsewhere as I will get disorientated.

Plan is to move the APM board and bits from my Bixler 2 to the Quad 250 and swap them over as required (the tricopter will keep it's APM).  I may give up on that and just used my old KK2 board if the APM and it's gear is too heavy, it will largely depend on how punchy it feels.....  In order to get most of it built before Christmas I've gone with most of the parts from HK.  Was about to try emax for motors and ESC's but with the trouble you had Marschy I decided to order some HK ESC's so then the motors (using 2204's) were a no brainer (didnt want to pay 2 lots of freight).  Plan is to use the 2200mah 3s batteries I have, now that I've switched the Tri over to larger batteries.  I did order one smaller 3s 1300mah 30C battery so that if the 2200's are too heavy I can still have some fun :-)

Now the waiting game..... 

Oh, I realised that I have a meeting tomorrow night so sonar will have to weight even longer, I was going to be running a flood rescue professional development day on Saturday but due to lack of numbers I'm cancelling it so I'll play with the sonar then (hoping I'll get some flying in too).  Getting the feeling that something doesnt want me to play with this sonar.....

Chris

Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #826 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

The X-mode Alien frame arrived in the mail today. So did the miniAPM (Aliexpress variety, not Hobbyking) with GPS for the blackout clone and an OrangeRX R615X CPPM receiver for the mini, and the cable I need to 100% finish off the Alien 560. The blackout clone frame was ordered the day before the X-mode Alien frame, so I'm hoping it will turn up before the end of the week.

My wife wants me to do some welding on the weekend to add another concrete sleeper to one of the retaining wall bays, so I am going to try and get as much done before the weekend because I have a feeling the retaining wall is going to be a PITA.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #827 on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

The X-mode Alien frame arrived in the mail today. So did the miniAPM (Aliexpress variety, not Hobbyking) with GPS for the blackout clone and an OrangeRX R615X CPPM receiver for the mini, and the cable I need to 100% finish off the Alien 560. The blackout clone frame was ordered the day before the X-mode Alien frame, so I'm hoping it will turn up before the end of the week.

My wife wants me to do some welding on the weekend to add another concrete sleeper to one of the retaining wall bays, so I am going to try and get as much done before the weekend because I have a feeling the retaining wall is going to be a PITA.

That has to bite, you have newly acquired toys but you cant play with them.  I know that feeling.  Worse yet when the wife has expectations.  I'm guessing I'll have a big list of items to work through during my downtime.....

I've just put the order in for a miniAPM (from aliexpress) as it will fit in the 250 quad better, plus I wont have to swap stuff around as much.  This hobby is costing me a small fortune.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #828 on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
I bought mine from the 'Ready to Sky' store. $59.85US plus $14.05 EMS shipping. Got it in 11 days.

I have just finished shaping the aluminium mount for the gimbal motor for the front of the Alien. I made a head start on it on the weekend by drilling the holes for the motor. I just have to drill and tap some holes to secure it to the frame, then I can start putting all the other hardware on from the F450.

Marschy

« Reply #829 on: December 09, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »
I'm liking this frame a lot.

Marschy

« Reply #830 on: December 10, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »
All silicon wire, cool!! The single connectors make it look like there is a lot of cable here.

Once I've had a bit of sleep and can get my head around this, I'll hook it up to the computer and see if it's working. The GPS is supposed to have a compass, so I need to test that as well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:44:08 AM by Marschy »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #831 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:29 AM »
Come on you blokes us wanabi's are hanging for the inflight footage of all these techno gadgets your playing with Christmas is nearly here you know . ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Marschy

« Reply #832 on: December 10, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
Was about to try emax for motors and ESC's but with the trouble you had Marschy I decided to order some HK ESC's so then the motors (using 2204's) were a no brainer
The Emax motors seem pretty good, and the ESC's are popular due to their small size. I just stuffed up by unsoldering the leads. I should have soldered the leads directly to the motor leads and heat shrunk them. So now I've gone with HK Blue Series 12A. These are only 1 gram heavier, but a bit larger due to the heat sink.

Are the 2204's the Multistar Elites?

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #833 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
The Emax motors seem pretty good, and the ESC's are popular due to their small size. I just stuffed up by unsoldering the leads. I should have soldered the leads directly to the motor leads and heat shrunk them. So now I've gone with HK Blue Series 12A. These are only 1 gram heavier, but a bit larger due to the heat sink.

Are the 2204's the Multistar Elites?

Hi,

I've gone with the 2204 Multistar Elites (2300Kv), I did a bit of read up about them, and they appeared to be reasonable.  A little pricey, I could have gotten equivalent emax ones for a few dollars less, but then you factor the freight was already paid for on the HK order I couldn't refuse.  Please dont say you have seen some bad reviews somewhere....

LOL, just realised I bought the same 12A ESC's as you.  Also couldn't find any bad info on them, and they are above the required max amps.....

I'm putting it on the long version 250FPV frame, will switch to the blackout next month.

I was weak and I ordered the APM Mini last night, as well as a GPS, and MinimOSD.  I have a spare telemetry radio so no need to order another one plus if it needs a diet there are a couple of grams there.  I have a couple of spare cameras too.  I also picked up a RC305 and TS351 combo too, I have a USB analogue capture device and didnt like the idea of the screen being tethered to the computer (for a ground station), so I can use the VTx from the combo for it (or work out which one is the lightest).  I figured I'd get tired of moving stuff around.

I figure the 250 on the HK frame will weigh in at 450g - no battery.  With battery approx 600g, with 1.55kg of thrust on 5x3 props.  I figure I've got 2.5/1 thrust to weight ratio, so it shouldnt be too sluggish.  I have a 3 to 1 ratio on the Tricopter (with only the FPV camera) and in acro mode it really moves.

I'm hoping the blackout 250 frame will lighten it a bit and bring it almost to a 2.8 to 2.9/1 ratio.  I am working on the 2200mah 3s batteries giving me approx 10-11 mins flight time (with 400mah in reserve).  Although I'm going to redo the numbers because it seems low for the 2200mah's

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #834 on: December 10, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
Post arrived again today - 2.4Ghz Video receiver ( which I now no longer need !! ) and my bandy leg setup for the alien - Had a quick look at it and am wondering how to fit it to the frame ??

Hopefully some bolt/screw holes will match up as it seems to hang off the twin rods that the gimbal/ camera hangs off ??

Will probably wait until Friday now to have a good look - Waiting on my 12V FPV cameras so I can finish the FPV setup wiring - Then its just wait for the new controllers / receivers to arrive and

I can start flying /  testing ....
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #835 on: December 10, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »
Hi,

I've gone with the 2204 Multistar Elites (2300Kv), I did a bit of read up about them, and they appeared to be reasonable.  A little pricey, I could have gotten equivalent emax ones for a few dollars less, but then you factor the freight was already paid for on the HK order I couldn't refuse.  Please dont say you have seen some bad reviews somewhere....

LOL, just realised I bought the same 12A ESC's as you.  Also couldn't find any bad info on them, and they are above the required max amps.....

I'm putting it on the long version 250FPV frame, will switch to the blackout next month.

I was weak and I ordered the APM Mini last night, as well as a GPS, and MinimOSD.  I have a spare telemetry radio so no need to order another one plus if it needs a diet there are a couple of grams there.  I have a couple of spare cameras too.  I also picked up a RC305 and TS351 combo too, I have a USB analogue capture device and didnt like the idea of the screen being tethered to the computer (for a ground station), so I can use the VTx from the combo for it (or work out which one is the lightest).  I figured I'd get tired of moving stuff around.

I figure the 250 on the HK frame will weigh in at 450g - no battery.  With battery approx 600g, with 1.55kg of thrust on 5x3 props.  I figure I've got 2.5/1 thrust to weight ratio, so it shouldnt be too sluggish.  I have a 3 to 1 ratio on the Tricopter (with only the FPV camera) and in acro mode it really moves.

I'm hoping the blackout 250 frame will lighten it a bit and bring it almost to a 2.8 to 2.9/1 ratio.  I am working on the 2200mah 3s batteries giving me approx 10-11 mins flight time (with 400mah in reserve).  Although I'm going to redo the numbers because it seems low for the 2200mah's

Chris
The Multistar Elite motors are very nice. The good thing about the ESC's with stock firmware is you can wire them all up the same to the motors and then use the transmitter to program motor direction.

Your order for the APM was who I was going to order from (91 Hobby?), there were two sellers with similar prices, both the cheapest APM's with GPS combo's. Can't remember which one was cheaper, but I think we are both in the running for the biggest cheap skate award  ;D ;D. The only thing I'm worried about is if the GPS has a compass. The ad is ripped off from the Goodluckbuy web site (refer to the SKU numbers on the ad and you'll see what I mean). But the GPS module from Goodluckbuy is different. I'll check the GPS when I get home tonight to make sure it has a compass.

I have a bluetooth module that I want to see if it works with the APM mini. If not, I'll order a telemetry module in the new year. I have 2 spare power modules/BEC's after I replaced the ones that had dodgy voltage monitor outputs. I'm going to use one of them and see how it goes on the mini APM.

I have a MavlinkOSD which is a version of the minimOSD that does not have the ability to run the whole board on 5 volts, it has 5 volts for the atmel chip and 12 volts for the video chip with a BEC to reduce the power to 5 volts. I'll see how that goes as well and if it overheats the regulator then I'll replace it with a minimOSD.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #836 on: December 10, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
The Multistar Elite motors are very nice. The good thing about the ESC's with stock firmware is you can wire them all up the same to the motors and then use the transmitter to program motor direction.

Your order for the APM was who I was going to order from (91 Hobby?), there were two sellers with similar prices, both the cheapest APM's with GPS combo's. Can't remember which one was cheaper, but I think we are both in the running for the biggest cheap skate award  ;D ;D. The only thing I'm worried about is if the GPS has a compass. The ad is ripped off from the Goodluckbuy web site (refer to the SKU numbers on the ad and you'll see what I mean). But the GPS module from Goodluckbuy is different. I'll check the GPS when I get home tonight to make sure it has a compass.

I have a bluetooth module that I want to see if it works with the APM mini. If not, I'll order a telemetry module in the new year. I have 2 spare power modules/BEC's after I replaced the ones that had dodgy voltage monitor outputs. I'm going to use one of them and see how it goes on the mini APM.

I have a MavlinkOSD which is a version of the minimOSD that does not have the ability to run the whole board on 5 volts, it has 5 volts for the atmel chip and 12 volts for the video chip with a BEC to reduce the power to 5 volts. I'll see how that goes as well and if it overheats the regulator then I'll replace it with a minimOSD.

Hi Mark,

Yep your right it was with 91 Hobby, do you have a pic of the GPS, it should be the stuff on the opposite side of the GPS antenna.  If it looks light of IC's then we may have been burnt on that one.  No biggy, I've got a GPS sitting on the Bixler 2 I can use in the mean time while I get it sorted.  How long did your aliexpress order take from order to the door?

Yeah I thought the motors looked good and I couldn't find people complaining much about them so I figured I'd give them a chance.  Seem to have good thrust ratings on a 5x3 prop.

Bluetooth range is pretty limited, I'd be going the telemetry module (even if you had to swap it over each time), plus BT can be power hungry beast......

My additional minimOSD is from ebay - was the cheapest I could find, if the pics are right then it looks just like the HK one....  Only way to know for sure is when I get it here.

Looks like most of my stuff has been marked as shipped.  So that means my HK stuff will be here for the weekend.  My other stuff will be here when I get back from Christmas holidays!!

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #837 on: December 10, 2014, 07:12:29 PM »
Hi Mark,

Yep your right it was with 91 Hobby, do you have a pic of the GPS, it should be the stuff on the opposite side of the GPS antenna.  If it looks light of IC's then we may have been burnt on that one.  No biggy, I've got a GPS sitting on the Bixler 2 I can use in the mean time while I get it sorted.  How long did your aliexpress order take from order to the door?

Yeah I thought the motors looked good and I couldn't find people complaining much about them so I figured I'd give them a chance.  Seem to have good thrust ratings on a 5x3 prop.

Bluetooth range is pretty limited, I'd be going the telemetry module (even if you had to swap it over each time), plus BT can be power hungry beast......

My additional minimOSD is from ebay - was the cheapest I could find, if the pics are right then it looks just like the HK one....  Only way to know for sure is when I get it here.

Looks like most of my stuff has been marked as shipped.  So that means my HK stuff will be here for the weekend.  My other stuff will be here when I get back from Christmas holidays!!

Chris
Ok, the GPS does have a compass. It's an L883. Mine is date stamped 2412, your will probably have a different date stamp.

EMS shipping with the APM took 11 days from order to delivery.

I'm only going to use the bluetooth module for changing settings, otherwise I'm going to disconnect it.

Marschy

« Reply #838 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Here is a photo of the mini GPS next to my full size GPS that came with the APM 2.6 flight controller. No, the mini is the one on the right, yes that's correct, the bigger one.  ??? ???

And also the location of the compass chip.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:56:13 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #839 on: December 10, 2014, 09:32:01 PM »
Ok, the GPS does have a compass. It's an L883. Mine is date stamped 2412, your will probably have a different date stamp.

EMS shipping with the APM took 11 days from order to delivery.

I'm only going to use the bluetooth module for changing settings, otherwise I'm going to disconnect it.

Yay, no dud then!  Hmmm, with some luck I might have my other stuff before xmas then......

Ah, that makes sense on the BT module.  Not a bad idea for the 250 quad.....  If I had one laying around I'd do the same otherwise my strategy will be if needs to go on a diet then I'll remove the telemetry radio and do the usb plug in method.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #840 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
I'm going to wait until the mini quad arrives so I can get some measurements, then I'll get a case for the GPS.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #841 on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

I'm guessing that would be in the APM that it would be reversed?  I wonder how that is done, I'm thinking the motor must be a signed value and the negative PWM is then filtered in the ESC so that it reverses the polarity and and use the positive value.

I might have to read up a bit on that feature, to be honest I'll most likely just swap the power around till I'm happy, that is if I use the 2mm bullet connectors.  If I direct solder then yes I'll be using that feature :-)

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #842 on: December 10, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »
There is nothing mini about this GPS at all. Its 35x35mm and about 30x30 between centres on the mounting holes. Its designed more for mounting directly to standoffs than putting them in a case. The inner size of most cases is 28x28mm

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #843 on: December 10, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
I'm going to wait until the mini quad arrives so I can get some measurements, then I'll get a case for the GPS.

My plan for the GPS is to just clear shrink wrap it to help keep the weight down and provide some protection.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #844 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
I think I'll do the same. I found a case though.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Protective-Case-with-GPS-Mount-KITS-For-APM-UBLOX-NEO-6m-UBLOX-LEA-6H-GPS-Free/2009483417.html

The only issue will be is it wider than the mini quad top plate. I don't want to use a pedestal.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #845 on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »
I have a mini GPS antenna from the Remzibi OSD that I fizzled with 12 volts ... Any good for either of you two ?
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #846 on: December 10, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »
I have a mini GPS antenna from the Remzibi OSD that I fizzled with 12 volts ... Any good for either of you two ?

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass, I have enough items without magic white smoke.  I've tried to resurrect some items and have had mixed success.

I just realised your offering the antenna.  Do you know the rough dimensions?

I'm thinking it would be some tiny connectors to connect the GPS antenna to the chip....  My soldering skills are ok, but not the best out there.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:02:10 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #847 on: December 10, 2014, 10:03:30 PM »
I've got my full quota of GPS modules, thanks for the offer though Steve. I think the GPS also has to have compatible firmware, not sure if the Remzibi GPS would be.

Im about to try and resurrect my OrangeRX R900 receiver that I created magic smoke with when I connected it directly to my 3S lipo. I ordered some 6206A 3.3v regulators for 7 bucks delivered. If it works, I'll save myself about 20 bucks, if not, it was worth a shot.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #848 on: December 10, 2014, 10:13:32 PM »
I've got my full quota of GPS modules, thanks for the offer though Steve. I think the GPS also has to have compatible firmware, not sure if the Remzibi GPS would be.

Im about to try and resurrect my OrangeRX R900 receiver that I created magic smoke with when I connected it directly to my 3S lipo. I ordered some 6206A 3.3v regulators for 7 bucks delivered. If it works, I'll save myself about 20 bucks, if not, it was worth a shot.

I think he's offering the antenna component.  I'm not sure I'm game to test out on a now working GPS module the swapping out to a smaller antenna - not sure of what the results would be.

I'm guessing you realised the mistake in less than a second right :-)  Have to say I'm yet to kill a receiver, I've done a Tx by with reverse polarity.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #849 on: December 11, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »
I think he's offering the antenna component.  I'm not sure I'm game to test out on a now working GPS module the swapping out to a smaller antenna - not sure of what the results would be.

I'm guessing you realised the mistake in less than a second right :-)  Have to say I'm yet to kill a receiver, I've done a Tx by with reverse polarity.....

Chris
Yep, the regulator made a really good 'Pop' sound which was immediately followed by me making an 'ah cr@p' sound. It blew the top right off the regulator. I've checked the regulator on my other R900 receiver, I asked my daughter to read the letters on the top with a magnifying glass as I couldn't do it for the life of me. I should have done what I did with the GPS compass chip, take a photo of it then zoom in using Microsoft Paint.

To solder the regulator  back on I've ordered a $9 jewellers headband magnifyer with LED light. 10x magnificaction.