Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 678719 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #750 on: November 24, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
I had plenty of Brownie Point credits after her Canon 6D with 24-105 mm L kit , 32 Gb card ...
Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #751 on: November 24, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »
I had plenty of Brownie Point credits after her Canon 6D with 24-105 mm L kit , 32 Gb card ...
Steve
Imagine the video you could get with that slung under your Alien, LOL

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #752 on: November 24, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »
Saw this one and bought it straightaway yesterday -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361099982743?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

If its half as good as it sounds I'll be real happy ...

Marschy

« Reply #753 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:53 AM »
Saw this one and bought it straightaway yesterday -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361099982743?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

If its half as good as it sounds I'll be real happy ...

I've got the same one Steve, good specs, but unfortunately they don't fit into Gopro gimbals that are 41mm high. These ones are 47mm high, so can only fit in the gimbals with velcro strap, aka (GBC style)

You can also get a HDMI to AV out converter, but you can't turn off the inbuilt OSD so no good for FPV because the camera's OSD overlays the flight OSD.

But apart from that they take a really nice video and still shot and work great in low light.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:42:20 AM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #754 on: November 24, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
I just wanted one with a tripod nut - Fits on my GBC that way - The On/Off remote was a bonus .. My current camera only has Off , record , snap , This new one has the correct USB socket too so I'm hoping that the GoPro cable I got with something might just work for FPV as well  ... Steve

Marschy

« Reply #755 on: November 24, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
I just wanted one with a tripod nut - Fits on my GBC that way - The On/Off remote was a bonus .. My current camera only has Off , record , snap , This new one has the correct USB socket too so I'm hoping that the GoPro cable I got with something might just work for FPV as well  ... Steve
Mine is live video out via mini HDMI, not USB. They may have updated them, like the SJ4000 now has live AV out via USB.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #756 on: November 24, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
Think I have that cable too..

Marschy

« Reply #757 on: November 24, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »
Think I have that cable too..

I think mine came with a mini HDMI cable, but I don't think HDMI is compatible with the video transmitters, hence you need something like these converters on Goodluckbuy.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=hdmi+to+av+converter&x=0&y=0

It'll still be good as a flight camera tho.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:00:29 AM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #758 on: November 24, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
I checked out the performance specs for the motors, they are very similar to the NTM 2830 800kv motors as far as thrust goes (1020g on a 11x4.7 prop for the Emax, 1050g on a 11x7 prop for the NTM), but far more efficient for the Emax 179 watts and 276 watts respectively on a 4S battery.

Only the video to connect now and the pesky power distribution board which still hasn't turned up. I'm about to open a dispute with Aliexpress. The shipping company has stopped tracking it.

Not much room under the top plate left now that the motors have been wired up to the ESC's. I moved the BTU to where the satellite receiver was on the left rear leg and put the LED module on the right hand rear leg and the satellite under it as far away from the BTU as possible. Once the video transmitter turns up in the mail from Hobbyking, I'll be able to finish all the wiring under the top plate then put the lid on permanently.

Marschy

« Reply #759 on: November 29, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
The Emax motors and ESC's for the mini quad turned up yesterday. Hoepfully most of the bits and pieces, minus the flight control board will turn up before Xmas. I going to relax this Xmas (no camping) and finish the Alien, and start on the ZMR250. The wife wants to rest up and not do anything, so that suits me.

These motors come in a nice little box. Here they are in comparison to the NTM 2830 propdrives. They will spin a 5 inch prop at 15910 rpm!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:07:07 PM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #760 on: November 29, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »
Got my tx and ESC , numbers on ESC don't match up to motors unless you turn it upside down ..This is going to be very interesting when the motors turn up...LOL

Marschy

« Reply #761 on: November 29, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
What frequency transmitter are you running with this time?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #762 on: November 29, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
Got the Phantom 2 ,2.4 GHz , with 5.8 fpv stuff..Using DJI TX for now . Will probably change to Orange or Radiolink later...
gotta get off the ground first...;

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #763 on: December 01, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
catch of the day
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

« Reply #764 on: December 02, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
My power distribution board finally turned up.

So I've made a power distribution module for feeding the Naza PMU and the 12 volt video equipment.

I just need to solder some 4S balanced plugs onto the power cable for the Naza PMU and the 12 volt UBEC.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #765 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Hi Marschy,

I've been informed a small box was delivered today, so it should be the sonar as I'm not expecting any other deliveries.

I'll see if I can spare some time over the next few nights to let you know if it's a firmware / hardware issue or if you're just unlucky with yours.

I've almost completed my rebuilding of the tricopter, should be a bit more resilient and easier to swap out the camera / battery tray.  I've swapped out a motor, not sure if I should swap out the ESC too.  I'll now have to run some tests on it as it definitely was loosing thrust from that side.

Just waiting to confirm what's happening with my contract at work to see if I'll spend the money on a quad......  Isn't it funny, you have the money to play when you work (but not the time) but when you have the time you don't want to spend the money, sigh......  Thinking I'll just buy one anyway, I'll need a pet project if I'm off work.....

I have to be honest and say I'm looking forward to a month or two off.....  Not the ideal time (I love camping just not in the middle of summer, sigh...)  Would have been perfect in March / April oh well......

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #766 on: December 03, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »
Crikey that was quick Chris.

The power distribution board that I got from a seller on Aliexpress took 48 days to arrive (see picture above), but had been sitting somewhere in Australia since the 25th October (probably customs). Having said that, all my orders that I paid for EMS shipping are still only taking about 1.5 weeks to arrive from the date of payment.

I don't think the error on the sonar will cause any issues, because as I noted before, the error is consistently around 25%, which means the shorter the distance, the smaller the error.

You have to select the LV-EZ0 sonar in Mission Planner to get the HC-SR04 sonar with the additional board from Thanksbuyer to work. The documentation for Arducopter states that selecting the appropriate sonar is so the correct algorithm is used to get the correct scaling for the sonar you are using. When I selected other sonars, I got similar errors, but the  sonar distances where much further out when compared to when LV-EZ0 was selected.

Now to my mind being a programmer for nearly 30 years suggests to me that that statement suggests that the possible problem area may be the Arducopter firmware, and that perhaps it may be able to be corrected by customising the firmware. I may have a look at this at some point in the future.

The fact that different scaling is used for different sonars would suggest to me that it is quite fixable to someone who can interpret where this scaling is applied in the firmware.

Marschy

« Reply #767 on: December 03, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
Forgot to mention, give the sonar a good coating of liquid electrical tape. The exposed circuitry can be shorted quite easily with a bit of moisture. Before and after shots below. I also coated the board camera circuit board.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #768 on: December 04, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Forgot to mention, give the sonar a good coating of liquid electrical tape. The exposed circuitry can be shorted quite easily with a bit of moisture. Before and after shots below. I also coated the board camera circuit board.

That's a great idea, I noticed that I wasnt going to be able to shrink wrap it....  I'll get some before I do too much outdoors flying with the sonar.

Grrr, this weather is conspiring against me, was out again until 4am cutting trees and fixing roofs (hmmm 4 hours of sleep is not good).....  Forecast is not good for rest of week, sonar testing might have to wait till the weekend instead.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #769 on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
Stuff isn't cheap, $25 from Jaycar for a small 4 oz tin, or $13 for a 1 oz tube. The can at least has a paint brush in it, so it's a bit more easier to use than the tube.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NM2832

I can think of lots of tasks for it though with quad building, so it will come in handy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:26:11 AM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #770 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
Stuff isn't cheap, $25 from Jaycar for a small 4 oz tin, or $13 for a 1 oz tube. The can at least has a paint brush in it, so it's a bit more easier to use than the tube.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NM2832

I can think of lots of tasks for it though with quad building, so it will come in handy.

You aren't wrong there, seems that it is the going rate....  Couldn't find any cheaper deals out there.  Unless I lived in the US, then it's $6USD for the same container, go figure.....

I've thought about buying the stuff ages ago, I think I'll get some because there is no way to protect it otherwise unless I do a dodgy wrap with electrical tape but it will only make it resistant and not proof :-)

Chris
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:35:26 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User

Marschy

« Reply #772 on: December 04, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
What about this stuff - does the same job - more of it and a little bit dearer ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHOOSE-YOUR-COLOUR-PERFORMIX-PLASTI-DIP-FLEXIBLE-RUBBER-DIP-BRUSH-214ml-/350586388029?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item51a093be3d
Mandrake

Only 99 cents more for another 3.5 oz (nearly double the jaycar one). Good find. Have you used this before Steve?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #773 on: December 04, 2014, 06:19:46 PM »
Only used it on handtools - Dip handle in and let it dry - Instant insulated handle .. Worked really well for that so a small drop over a solder point should be OK ... Steve

Marschy

« Reply #774 on: December 04, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »
I'll grab some of that Plasti Dip once the little tin I bought runs out. You should put that on the 'Have you found a bargain" thread. It's sure to be handy for lots of things in a camper trailer.