Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673544 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #725 on: November 21, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
Could I ask an opinion on the Quanum Nova FPV GPS Waypoint QuadCopter (Mode 1 or 2) (Ready to Fly) ......as an entry level Quad.

http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/__55105__Quanum_Nova_FPV_GPS_Waypoint_QuadCopter_Mode_1_Ready_to_Fly_.html

Thoughts really appreciated.

I haven't used this particular model but for that cost for an RTF, I'd say if you arent a build it type then I'd say go for one of these.  I'd suggest going for a mode 2 radio if you can, just that mode 1 is not very common (even here in Aus - which mode in the US think we use...)

Just read Marschy's reply, I agree with what he's saying.  Good access to spares, ready do go.  Note the charger is a US plug, so I'd invest in another LiPo charger, plus a Lipo bag to charge it in too.

I'd also pick up a few extra batteries too.

Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:17:11 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Signature035

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The older I get...... the better I was
« Reply #726 on: November 22, 2014, 07:13:07 AM »
Thanks Marschy & CBRK,  I have no idea, and thinking it might be a bit of fun over Christmas....
Like the idea of buying something with a bit of quality, not just a toy.
Just looked, Is Hobbyking not in Oz?
Rob
2012 Prado D4D Altitude &
04 Jayco Eagle Outback

Marschy

« Reply #727 on: November 22, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »
Thanks Marschy & CBRK,  I have no idea, and thinking it might be a bit of fun over Christmas....
Like the idea of buying something with a bit of quality, not just a toy.
Just looked, Is Hobbyking not in Oz?
They have a Melbourne warehouse, and soon a Sydney one. But some products, like the Quanum Nova you can only purchase through the international warehouse which is in Hong Kong. Postage at this time of the year is slow because of lots of stuff going through customs, so if you want it for Xmas, you may have already missed the boat.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #728 on: November 22, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »

They have a Melbourne warehouse, and soon a Sydney one. But some products, like the Quanum Nova you can only purchase through the international warehouse which is in Hong Kong. Postage at this time of the year is slow because of lots of stuff going through customs, so if you want it for Xmas, you may have already missed the boat.

Cheers, Marschy
I think the oz warehouse is in NSW South Coast near batemans bay. I had to return something and that is where I sent it.
But still it is in oz.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #729 on: November 22, 2014, 07:30:57 AM »
You would also have to order the one without the battery as most carriers nowadays won't ship LiPo batteries from overseas. You will need to make two orders, one for the quad below, and another for the battery from the Australia warehouse. You'll find the batteries in the accessories list

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55108__Quanum_Nova_FPV_GPS_Waypoint_QuadCopter_w_out_Battery_Mode_2_Ready_to_Fly_.html

Marschy

« Reply #730 on: November 22, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
My friendly Auspost contractor turned up again today (yep Saturday again). This time with an early Xmas present.

The EMAX MT3506 650Kv motors. A less expensive clone of the Tiger Motor equivalent. They are CW and CCW spinners, hence the different colour prop nuts.

Comparison in size to the NTM 2830 800Kv motor

And they fit nicely on the new Tarot motor mounts. They can fit on the original mounts, but these mounts have rubber anti-vibration screws between the carbon fibre plate and the aluminium mount to remove some of the vibration between the motor and the frame. All for the purpose of jello free video

And the start of my hack job on the GBC gimbal. I have removed the housing and mounting frame from the roll motor, and attached it directly to a carbon fibre motor mount that I pinched from the Alien. I will make some brackets out of aluminium to which anti-vibration rubber balls will be mounted onto, which in turn will attach to the frame of my F450. I am going to make a fibre glass adapter plate to secure it to the frame. I want to get rid of the crab landing gear, so I need the gimbal to not hang under the frame anymore. Then I'll need to find some space to mount the control board.

Marschy

« Reply #731 on: November 22, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
Done as much as I can now until more parts arrive. I've been waiting nearly 40 days for a power distribution board, I may have to bite the bullet and order by express post.

Just a bit of wiring to go then it will be ready for a flight.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #732 on: November 22, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
Have you got the receiver in yet ?? Just wondering where you placed it and the antenna/s ??
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #733 on: November 22, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »
Have you got the receiver in yet ?? Just wondering where you placed it and the antenna/s ??

Yes, mounted behind the Naza flight controller. The cables between the flight controller and the receiver have been shortened using my crimping tool and new servo connectors from Hobbyking.

The receiver is a dual satellite receiver, I have installed one satellite so far and I have another on order. This is highly recommended for carbon fibre frames, so I'm playing it safe. The first satellite is mounted on the left rear leg, and once the other one arrives it will be mounted as far forward as possible.

I just used a biro ink tube that I emptied, messy job but works. The zip ties hold the pen tube in really well. The electronics for the satellite are wrapped in glad wrap then alfoil then finally heat shrink to shield the receiver. A bit of hot glue hold the antenna horizontally, but prop wash will stuff that up.

The receiver antenna just hangs under the belly with the unshielded part of the antenna clear of the biro tube.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:13:16 PM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #734 on: November 23, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
Sad Bad morning !! Phantom flew off - Went searching with video receiver and my Loc8tor - Nil Nada Gone ... Now can only rely on
someone finding it and reading the reward sticker with my mobile number ... Bugger !! Fingers are crossed ... Trouble is the direction it went off in is 50% house roofs so every possibility its up on someones roof within 500 metres of my home point ... God damn ...

Marschy

« Reply #735 on: November 23, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »
Sad Bad morning !! Phantom flew off - Went searching with video receiver and my Loc8tor - Nil Nada Gone ... Now can only rely on
someone finding it and reading the reward sticker with my mobile number ... Bugger !! Fingers are crossed ... Trouble is the direction it went off in is 50% house roofs so every possibility its up on someones roof within 500 metres of my home point ... God damn ...
That not good. Did you have GPS lock before take-off? Shows how important an OSD with a ground station DVR is so you can record GPS location. Best of luck finding it.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #736 on: November 23, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
A bit lost myself as I had both GPS and Homepoint locks established before take off and it refused to take any notice of the failsafe command .. I lost orientation and then lost sight of it for a second and it was gone ...

Marschy

« Reply #737 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
A bit lost myself as I had both GPS and Homepoint locks established before take off and it refused to take any notice of the failsafe command .. I lost orientation and then lost sight of it for a second and it was gone ...
The DJI Naza M V2 has a habit of this. Are you going to take this up with DJI?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #738 on: November 23, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »
Don't think so .. its been working OK up til now.. plus I have modified it a bit...good job I am building the alien ...

Marschy

« Reply #739 on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »
Got me worried now. I am going to see if I can find the DJI video that gives advice on how to avoid this problem.

Did it head off determinedly in one direction?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #740 on: November 23, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
I think I had control up to a point but without FPV I didn't know which way it was pointing and it looked like every time I moved the sticks it went away from me even when I had selected home lock and hit the full throttle reverse ...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:30:38 AM by Mandrake »

Marschy

« Reply #741 on: November 23, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
Did you have the latest firmware. It automatically goes into failsafe if transmitter signal is lost for more than 10 seconds. It's seems the most important issue is updating firmware then recalibration to fix up the known issues with fly aways.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #742 on: November 23, 2014, 09:36:15 AM »
Yep.. as I said it was fine a few days ago...my fault for flying too far from me..

Marschy

« Reply #743 on: November 23, 2014, 09:38:31 AM »
Well, here's hoping you get it back. Lesson's learned with these things are rarely an inexpensive one unfortunatley.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #744 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
Looks like this weekend hasn't gone well for me either.... After fixing up my Tricopter from the previous week, I took it down to a different local park to the one I go to.  Good news was I met another guy who walked up as i was setting up, he asked if he could share the airspace.  I had no issues and he started setting up.

I took off and all was good - new site is very turbulent but manageable (tri was going bouncing from flat to up to 30 degree lean to the side to hold position on loiter), I flew around for a while without any issues.  After around 10mins for some reason as I was flying I had the same problem as last time, the left motor seemed to drop and it rolled upside down and fell 4m to the ground.  Almost made it around again but the rear hit the ground first.  So I should be able to flip in about 6m, say 10m with a bit of leeway (not that this is an acro platform).

Broke the tail boom this time and the camera tray again, grrrrrr.....  So now I have more repairs to make....  I needed to pull it apart to put my new method of attaching the battery tray.  I plan to reverse some of the bolts so it's easier to detach parts in the future, just wish I had more time between the last fix and this one.....

Given I've had that same side drop in catastrophic failures twice now, I plan to replace the motor and esc in that location....  I'll have to bench test them to see which one is the guilty culprit....

On a plus I have my airfame and electronics, I feel for you Mandrake, nothing worse than loosing an airframe.  Another plus is that I also might have a flying buddy which will be good.

I have abandoned my buying embargo, since it will take a few nights to fix it all up again.  So I will start purchasing the quad parts next week, thinking  of a small 250 size, but may go one up from there, haven't decided yet.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:12:53 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #745 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
I've splashed out $20 US for an Alien 500 X-mode quad frame. It will easier to fit the inline gimbal I'm hacking. Swapping all the running gear from my F450 frame. Pulled my F450 apart on the weekend.

I don't know why they call it an X-mode frame. Its more a dead cat frame.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #746 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
Oh Santa stop this copter curse ---LOL

I now have 19 items at various stages of ordering / shipping -
Lovely wife decided to get me a new FC40 for Xmas 2014 - 2017  .. LOL
Got so much stuff on order I had to make up a spreadsheet to keep track of it all --
Got a Parcel locker from Aust Post ( Free ) so all my packets get shipped there now ..

Hope I get some stuff soon ...

Steve

Marschy

« Reply #747 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
Oh Santa stop this copter curse ---LOL

I now have 19 items at various stages of ordering / shipping -
Lovely wife decided to get me a new FC40 for Xmas 2014 - 2017  .. LOL
Got so much stuff on order I had to make up a spreadsheet to keep track of it all --
Got a Parcel locker from Aust Post ( Free ) so all my packets get shipped there now ..

Hope I get some stuff soon ...

Steve
Howdy Steve,

Are you spending your allowance quicker than you're earning it , LOL? So I take it you have given up on the phantom?

Cheers, Mark

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #748 on: November 24, 2014, 08:05:26 AM »
Yeah - Lost but not forgotten .. Walked the streets with my Loc8tor and the video receiver - Nothing -- not a beep .. SO
Its underwater or crashed with battery out , or up a tree , or on a roof ... etc etc -- Its got a reward sticker with Phone
which might help if anyone bumps into it ... Got to get a new loc8tor transmitter too ( Bugger that's 20 items )

Marschy

« Reply #749 on: November 24, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »
Better buy a gift for the missus, she's being very understanding. When I flew fixed wing I used to feel so self indulgant as this hobby is very selfish. Only you typically get to play with your toys and when they crash, well, you know what happens, lots of coin down the tube.

The FC40 looks like a nice piece of kit as well.

So does that comes with gimbal and camera?