Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673890 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #675 on: November 15, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »

If you want to buy something that doesn't need assembly, or very little assembly, look for
1. ARF (Almost ready to fly, requires some assembly)
2. PNF (Plug and fly, plug in your own radio receiver and your ready to go)
3. BNF (Bind and fly, bind the radio to the receiver and you are ready to go, this is the most complete option)
4. RTF ( Ready to Fly ) complete kit just charge batteries and fly.

Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #676 on: November 15, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
Hey Chris,

Here are some figures from the sonar.

Its working, but not as accurately as I hoped. The higher it gets the error in the reading grows by about the same percentage. The error may be due to the quad not being level during my tests. That would probably explain why the closer it gets to the ground the more accurate the reading becomes, maybe, read on.

I've hung it from my pergola and got the following measurements:

Measured height    Sonar Height   Difference  Error %
180cm                   228cm             +48cm        +26%
124cm                   158cm             +34cm        +27%
75cm                      96cm              +21cm        +28%
45cm                      57cm              +12cm        +26% (not much to worry about at this height)

Importantly the readings seem to only move about by a centimetre or two during the test in the Mission Planner CLI. So they are pretty consistent and were probably due to the slight breeze outside moving the quad around which is hanging from a piece of string.

The sonar has a separate board with an Atmel chip on it that must be taking a reading from the HC-SR04 ultrasonic module and tweaking the reading into something the APM can read, so I'm thinking they have an error in the firmware on the sonar Atmel chip given that the error percentage seems reasonably consistent.

Or because the quad is not 100% level, the reading is taking a longer path from the trigger to the echo transducer on the ultrasonic module. I reckon there is a high probability that this is what the problem is.

I think as long as the APM software can keep up with the readings then it should be a good sonar for assisted landing. I think I read somewhere that the sonar reading is only used under 2 metres anyway, I'll check some of the forums and see if I can find where I read that.

I've gotta say, I'm very happy with the Reptile-Aphid frame. I've pulled it partially apart numerous times to put more hardware on it and as can be seen from the picture below, it has a purpose made fibre glass mini board for the sonar that is connected to the main board by standoffs. I'm going to install the Optical Flow sensor that arrived with the sonar now, then I'll give it a flight.

Cheers, Mark
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:34:10 PM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #677 on: November 15, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »
I was thinking the other day of putting a solar panel and mini reg on the top panel of the Alien .. I'll have to work out what size and milliamps I can get .. LOL - might get a little longer in the air ??

Why do you need sonar for landing ?? Can't you land manually ?

mandrake

Marschy

« Reply #678 on: November 15, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
I was thinking the other day of putting a solar panel and mini reg on the top panel of the Alien .. I'll have to work out what size and milliamps I can get .. LOL - might get a little longer in the air ??

Why do you need sonar for landing ?? Can't you land manually ?

mandrake
The sonar helps with altitude hold and landing, and no, I can't land without doing some damage nearly every time I take these bloody things out for a fly, LOL.

The Max-botics sonars are accurate to 5+ metres, but they cost 5 times the cost of this sonar, sometimes more depending on where you buy them from. I have an LV-EZ4 that I bought from Spark Fun via snail mail, it's not a top of the line model, and set me back $29 using snail mail. I haven't installed it yet though. The HC-SR04 is easy to install because my quad has provision on the frame for it.

The XL-EZ4 from Maxbotics will set you back about 70-80 dollars if you get them from Spark Fun. Aliexpress sell them for over $100. Must be that the sonar module is only made by one manufacturer so they are stitching up the Chinese resellers with  retail prices only so they can't discount them more than Spark Fun and Maxbotics web sites.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:51:38 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #679 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »
Hey Chris,

Here are some figures from the sonar.

Its working, but not as accurately as I hoped. The higher it gets the error in the reading grows by about the same percentage. The error may be due to the quad not being level during my tests. That would probably explain why the closer it gets to the ground the more accurate the reading becomes, maybe, read on.

I've hung it from my pergola and got the following measurements:

Measured height    Sonar Height   Difference  Error %
180cm                   228cm             +48cm        +26%
124cm                   158cm             +34cm        +27%
75cm                      96cm              +21cm        +28%
45cm                      57cm              +12cm        +26% (not much to worry about at this height)

Importantly the readings seem to only move about by a centimetre or two during the test in the Mission Planner CLI. So they are pretty consistent and were probably due to the slight breeze outside moving the quad around which is hanging from a piece of string.

The sonar has a separate board with an Atmel chip on it that must be taking a reading from the HC-SR04 ultrasonic module and tweaking the reading into something the APM can read, so I'm thinking they have an error in the firmware on the sonar Atmel chip given that the error percentage seems reasonably consistent.

Or because the quad is not 100% level, the reading is taking a longer path from the trigger to the echo transducer on the ultrasonic module. I reckon there is a high probability that this is what the problem is.

I think as long as the APM software can keep up with the readings then it should be a good sonar for assisted landing. I think I read somewhere that the sonar reading is only used under 2 metres anyway, I'll check some of the forums and see if I can find where I read that.

I've gotta say, I'm very happy with the Reptile-Aphid frame. I've pulled it partially apart numerous times to put more hardware on it and as can be seen from the picture below, it has a purpose made fibre glass mini board for the sonar that is connected to the main board by standoffs. I'm going to install the Optical Flow sensor that arrived with the sonar now, then I'll give it a flight.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,

To be out by 25% each time you'd need to mounted non square by a reasonable amount I'd have thought?  If it is firmware that would be a little disappointing.  I'll have to check out mine when it arrives.

I think there is a sonar max height, which is the 60% of the normal max range of the particular sonar.  If it's below that height and it's getting a reading then it uses it as the height.  So if even if it's out by 25% it should still be good.

Now the wait time for mine to arrive, sigh.....

Regards,

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #680 on: November 15, 2014, 11:02:35 PM »
The sonar helps with altitude hold and landing, and no, I can't land without doing some damage nearly every time I take these bloody things out for a fly, LOL.

Try landing in ALTHOLD or Loiter mode and you should land fairly easily without any damage.  I do so if the wind is gusty, just to make sure there is a level of redundancy.  Happy to say, landings are not my issue.  I have more failures and damage on takeoff's - from my landing gear getting stuck on grass.....

I had a catastrophic failure on a quick flight I did on Friday night.  I broke an arm.  At the time I thought I had thrown a motor as I found one disconnected on the ground next to it.  On review of the video footage the motor I thought I lost I hadnt as it flipped in the opposite direction, so I dont know what went wrong.....  Funny thing was I was only the air for a short time, I traveled 40m and then it happened.

After I finish delivering this floodboat course on Sunday I'll try to make the repairs (broken boom and one bullet connector was ripped off) and hopefully there will be some clear sky's next week.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #681 on: November 16, 2014, 06:23:39 AM »
Hi Mark,

To be out by 25% each time you'd need to mounted non square by a reasonable amount I'd have thought?  If it is firmware that would be a little disappointing.  I'll have to check out mine when it arrives.

I think there is a sonar max height, which is the 60% of the normal max range of the particular sonar.  If it's below that height and it's getting a reading then it uses it as the height.  So if even if it's out by 25% it should still be good.

Now the wait time for mine to arrive, sigh.....

Regards,

Chris
I think once you receive your sonar and run some tests if the results are similar to mine it will indicate the firmware on the sonar as the culprit. I tried other sonars in Mission Planner (XL, XXL etc), they gave the same result, so it's not an MP firmware issue. I am going to try changing the sonar gain in MP today and see if that makes a difference.

The good thing is, for $15 they work.

I didn't end up putting the filter suggested on the arducopter website on the power cable. The sonar is supplied with a 3 wire servo cable which I wrapped a narrow piece of alfoil around then I wrapped that with spiral wrap tube to provide some shielding. I've used the same stuff on all the video cabling as well, it works really well.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #682 on: November 16, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
When landing in bad areas or windy conditions I hover my copter just above head height and the catch it before lowering the throttle for auto shutdown.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #683 on: November 16, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
When landing in bad areas or windy conditions I hover my copter just above head height and the catch it before lowering the throttle for auto shutdown.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy
I'll have to give that a go.  :cheers:

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Marschy

« Reply #685 on: November 17, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »
Oops :)

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/mt-martha-woman-snapped-sunbaking-in-gstring-by-real-estate-drone/story-fnii5sms-1227124892062

I wouldn't be surprised if these real estate agents don't have the appropriate license for operating a drone for commercial purposes.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #686 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:20 AM »
If I was her I would sue them .

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #687 on: November 17, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
If I was her I would sue them .

Why, what for?, what level of expectation of privacy does she have in her backyard?  The image of her is not exactly detailed now is it?  She admitted she was aware the drone was there, so its down to her not understanding what it can do, had she known then she would have retreated indoors.  The backyard is not exactly a private location anymore, any planes flying over could have gotten a much higher quality image than what we saw and operate at a much higher alt (such that she may not have realised it's doing aerial photography).  I have reasonable sized fences but I don't treat my yard as a private area anymore, I know that neighbors on their balconies can see in.

I think the question at hand here is was the person a licensed operator?

At least he is willing to blur it our for her and that will meet the privacy test.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #688 on: November 17, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
Common courtesy would have been to advise the neighbours that an aerial camera would be used tomorrow. Then its her fault if she gets caught out.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #689 on: November 17, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
Common courtesy would have been to advise the neighbours that an aerial camera would be used tomorrow. Then its her fault if she gets caught out.

Yes I agree that would have been nice, but no legal need to notify them so cant really sue them.  How far should he have notified?  Everyone has a different definition of a reasonable distance (would you say every property that can be seen, or just the immediate neighbor?  What I think is ok, may not be okay for someone else.

Now once it was noticed she was sunbathing, if he'd then hovered over her for further specific shots then sure she might have some argument but in this instance I think it would be covered as an unintentional intrusion and perfectly fine.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #690 on: November 17, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
Why did she go to the media to let the world know that the person in the photo was her?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #691 on: November 17, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
These guys took the pics http://www.skyrobot.com.au/
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Marschy

« Reply #692 on: November 17, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »
The story from the women's perspective doesn't make sense. If she was embarrassed by the photos, she was obviously placated enough by the media for them to publish them to a much wider audience, otherwise wouldn't the media be complicit in her embarrassment as well?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:37:44 PM by Marschy »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #693 on: November 17, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »
I did some googling and came across this thing: https://www.airdog.com/

That seems very handy.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline DarWen

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #694 on: November 17, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
Just saw the story on ACA, one camera angle from the backyard over her shoulder you could clearly see through the chainwire fence out to the road. not very private in my eyes.

Marschy

« Reply #695 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »
Ahhhh, ACA, quality journalism, not. I can't remember the last time I watched that show.

Marschy

« Reply #696 on: November 17, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
Read the comments from readers on the Herald Sun, most of them echo what I'm saying.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mt-martha-woman-snapped-sunbaking-in-gstring-by-real-estate-drone/story-fni0fit3-1227124892062#itm=newscomau%7Cnews%7Cncam-story-body-link%7C3%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fnews%2Fvictoria%2Fmt-martha-woman-snapped-sunbaking-in-gstring-by-real-estate-drone%2Fstory-fni0fit3-1227124892062%7Cstory%7CMum%26%238217%3Bs%20topless%20sunbake%20ends%20in%20ad%20nightmare&itmt=1416218426073

The comments by 'Diane' are truly whackadoodle cr@p. She sounds as though she is a politician or a councillor with an election agenda. The accusations she is making about people who fly drones are offensive as she is suggesting that anyone and everyone who flies a drone is a pervert with plans to kidnap your children. She obviously knows 2/5 of stuff all about drones with her ignorant comments.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:38:44 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #697 on: November 18, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »
Read the comments from readers on the Herald Sun, most of them echo what I'm saying.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mt-martha-woman-snapped-sunbaking-in-gstring-by-real-estate-drone/story-fni0fit3-1227124892062#itm=newscomau%7Cnews%7Cncam-story-body-link%7C3%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fnews%2Fvictoria%2Fmt-martha-woman-snapped-sunbaking-in-gstring-by-real-estate-drone%2Fstory-fni0fit3-1227124892062%7Cstory%7CMum%26%238217%3Bs%20topless%20sunbake%20ends%20in%20ad%20nightmare&itmt=1416218426073

The comments by 'Diane' are truly whackadoodle cr@p. She sounds as though she is a politician or a councillor with an election agenda. The accusations she is making about people who fly drones are offensive as she is suggesting that anyone and everyone who flies a drone is a pervert with plans to kidnap your children. She obviously knows 2/5 of stuff all about drones with her ignorant comments.

Yep she is absolutely crazy, I love how people think just because they dont like something that they can sue for it.  The world dont work that way.  There so many on the comments that are thinking like her, that really worries me.  What do people think, it's absolutely amazing.  Again it's covered under the common law unintentional intrusion, so really its a lot of noise about nothing.  I cant believe channel 7 has given so much coverage.

I find it absolutely amazing how she see's everyone as perverts.  It's people like her that give dads like me the evil eye when you take your daughter to the bathroom, I like to smile back to those people (I feel sorry for them, what a sad reality they live in).  I really think that there is a set of society that are so willing to give everything up to feel safer then in reality they gain nothing and lose so much.   Seems people like to be over regulated.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #698 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »
Back to "reality" now ---
Just found and bought this Remzibi OSD for Naza M Lite !!!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251714574158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hopefully this will prevent me from letting that electric smoke out .... Mandrake

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #699 on: November 18, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
Back to "reality" now ---
Just found and bought this Remzibi OSD for Naza M Lite !!!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251714574158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hopefully this will prevent me from letting that electric smoke out .... Mandrake

Are you sure, it looks like it has just as many wires if not more than anything else!  That looks like a magic white smoke generator to me.

I hope that it's forgiving if you get a few wrong :-)  I'll say good luck on that one.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander