Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 678917 times)

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #500 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
I did some mods to my F450 this week.
I have removed the second battery that powered the Gimbal and have replaces it with a 12v ubec.
It is now under 2kg by about 5g.
I will have to do some more tests with flight times as the VTx is also on the main battery.
If I can still get about 9 min I will be happy.
I also replaced the standard GPS mast with a folding one so the quad should fit in the car better.
I think I will remove another part which is doubling up on anti vibration for the camera as the dampeners are all failing but my gimbal has anti vibration built in.
Have to suck it and see.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #501 on: October 12, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
something I found on a hobby shop site
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #502 on: October 16, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
Well I've taken the plunge as well and ordered a heap of gear to scratch build a tricopter. I'm going to build the tricopter v3 from David Windeståls site rcexplorer.com using pretty much his exact parts list. Being a novice I'm trying to stick with something reasonably simple so it will just be the basic tricopter with no cameras/fpv gear...... yet!

I pulled the trigger on a couple of orders from Hobbyking last night - the main order is from the Australian warehouse but I've had to order the radio gear from China. I went with a Turnigy 9xr and OrangeRx Tx module and receiver. Hopefully the radio will be ok for a beginner and still allow me to grow into it.

The radio gear from China is on back order and the frame is coming from Sweden and is also on back order for another 2 or 3 weeks so I'll be at the door waiting for the delivery man every day for a while.

Can't wait!!
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Marschy

« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »
Cool Spartan,

What flight control board are you going to fly with?

Cheers, Marschy

Marschy

« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
The 3DRobitics guys have been busy again.

Small | Large

Offline Markoutback

• Swag User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #505 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
Been out flying my Phantom taking off from the deck and flying down to check on the cows has been great seeing it all in real time back to screen mounted on controller.
Ford ranger with a cub camper in tow

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #506 on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
What screen are you using.
I am considering the boscam one.
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #507 on: October 19, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
What screen are you using.
I am considering the boscam one.
Regards
Crispy

Be careful with which screen with built in receiver you buy. The Boscam doesn't always have the same channels as the fatshark/immersionRC transmitters for VTx.

Have a look at the new Quanum 7 inch monitor at Hobbyking. You can connect a DVR to record your FPV camera from the ground without having to modify it, and has 32 channels dual diversity in-built receiver, so no matter what transmitter you get in the future, your receiver will work.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__64660__Quanum_7inch_Auto_Scan_32CH_5_8GHz_Diversity_Monitor_With_Built_In_Battery.html

Bit better than the one I bought.  I had to modify mine to connect a DVR but it at least has 32 channels.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arriving-5-8ghz-32channels-LCD-wireless-receiver-7-inch-quadcopter-fpv-monitor/1730659499.html

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #508 on: October 19, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
Be careful with which screen with built in receiver you buy. The Boscam doesn't always have the same channels as the fatshark/immersionRC transmitters for VTx.

Have a look at the new Quanum 7 inch monitor at Hobbyking. You can connect a DVR to record your FPV camera from the ground without having to modify it, and has 32 channels dual diversity in-built receiver, so no matter what transmitter you get in the future, your receiver will work.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__64660__Quanum_7inch_Auto_Scan_32CH_5_8GHz_Diversity_Monitor_With_Built_In_Battery.html

Bit better than the one I bought.  I had to modify mine to connect a DVR but it at least has 32 channels.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arriving-5-8ghz-32channels-LCD-wireless-receiver-7-inch-quadcopter-fpv-monitor/1730659499.html

Hi Marschy and Crisp Image,

I looked into this when I was getting my screen.  I use a 7inch RC800 DVR screen so that I can capture screen data.  It runs off a 1.5c 3s tx lipo and seems to go for around an hour so off the battery which is good.

It's okay as long as you get a full 32 channel receiver, the issue is when you get an 8 channel receiver it may not cover the 8 channels that FatShark use.  They break it up into 4 frames of 8 channels, the Fatshark and the Boscam (or skyzone as I'm seeing everything as now) use different frames.

Regards,

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #509 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm back!!!

I was busy getting ready for Fraser, then I was away for 2 weeks on Fraser (did over 1000km) and then stayed up in Queensland for a few more and then when I got back it has been hectic (between work, family, SES and being sick I've had no spare time).

I finally got my tricopter up and flying today on the APM board.  No fly away this time, very nice board and I put in loiter mode and it just worked nicely.  Stabilise had some drift but it was a little windy where I was.  I'm uploading some video footage to youtube, it's not very good but I wasnt strapping my $500 gopro to something that was going to fly away....

I also now make sure I do a read WP from the APM before flying, it apparently updates the home location, so this happens everytime now.

Now to play with the setting to get a more fluid feel, it was a bit too jerky.  I'll try the simple settings first and then move into the Advanced PID settings if needed (hoping not).

Now I trust it again, I'll strap the cheap action cam back on and put the non recording FPV camera on (much better quality).

I also picked up a bixler 2 which I've assembled and waiting to maiden (with an APM 2.6 board in it).  Also have FPV gear on it and telemetry (I pickup a 2nd set for this - I hate having to swap stuff around).  I think I need a bigger area to test it out, thinking I should have gone smaller.....

I'll post an message when my upload to youtube finishes.

Hi Marshy,

How'd you go with the sonar?  I'm almost ready to order and thought I'd see how you went first :-)

Regards,

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #510 on: October 19, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
Gday Chris,

Looking forward to seeing some of your video.

Haven't done much of late. I broke the under carriage when I came into to land too hard with both quads on the October long weekend, I have been waiting for parts since for my quad that's setup for aerial photography, which is also the one with the sonar on it. So nothing of note to report here yet.

I've got my second quad going again, but I've been slack this weekend. I ended up tidying up my computer/work room where I put them all together, as the missus was getting a bit sick of it looking too much like a workshop and not so much a computer room.

Interested in the 'read WP' you refer to you, so much to learn with the APM.

I still have my Tek Sumo flying wing I am yet to maiden. I've got a head strap for my AEE Magicam now, so hoping to do this shortly as well and get some footage.

On another note, I've put in my Xmas order in for all the bits and pieces I need to put my Alien 560 into operation with the DJI Naza M V2 flight controller. It's going to be a fun time this Xmas, not so sure the missus is going to be happy though. The October long weekend she banged on at me to do something with her rather than the quads, so I will have to be careful to keep her happy as well.

I know what Crispy meant now when he said they attract an audience. A bloke at Port Hughes came wandering over as soon as I started flying my quad. He crashed his Walkera 350 the day before I arrived when the battery died at about 70 feet high and it fell on the road (ouch). When I broke the undercarriage he wandered off and returned with his quad and showed me the damage to his quad. He commented that he was going to look into a quad that was less expensive to repair, something along the lines of the F450. That was my thinking right from the word go. It is proving to be less expensive to repair, but you still have to wait for parts to arrive if you are doing it on the cheap from China.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »
The boscam screen I am looking at has a 32ch receiver and covers the immersion frequencies that I use.  It also gets a good rap and has a built in battery.  Not sure about the quantum.  I need to look into it a bit further.
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #512 on: October 20, 2014, 07:36:40 AM »
Hello Crispy,

Then perhaps the only thing to consider is, but only if required, how easy is it to hook up a DVR?

Cheers, Marschy

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »
Hi Crisp ... went through the same when I was choosing my screen. Got the same screen with no RX for less than $40 and put a 200w RX on it for $20. Not as neat but upgradable ect. Now to fine tune my gimbal.

yogi

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
New toy arrived today :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New outback swan has arrived let the good times roll!

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
Quick question to everyone here.......

What is the cheapest flying thing I can get my hands on that will work to chase off a Common Koel.......

Just so you no what I am talking about have a listen...........

A Common Koel and Its Annoying Bird Call / Sound - A Black Bird with Distinctive Red Eyes

I have thought about an air rifle and slingshot but theres to many branches and houses around so figure a noisy helicopter or something might do the trick.

Thoughts......

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
A cardboard cutout of a Falcon from a pest remover would do the trick - just place it up on a branch near where the koel "sings".. Mandrake 
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #517 on: October 21, 2014, 06:39:04 AM »
A cardboard cutout of a Falcon from a pest remover would do the trick - just place it up on a branch near where the koel "sings".. Mandrake

Yep tired that, even downloaded some falcon calls and played them through the stereo......worked for about 2 days. Its time to get aggresive unfortunately.

This things starts at 3.30am.....

Marschy

« Reply #518 on: October 21, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #519 on: October 21, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
Well I pitched the boscam today.  Now have to wait for the post to arrive.  When I get it I'll post my thoughts.
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #520 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
The quanum is pretty similar by the look of it. So the boscam will be just as good I reckon. Pretty good features on both. Are you not happy with your goggles Crispy?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #521 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »
Goggles are illegal aren't they unless you have a watcher ??
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #522 on: October 21, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Yep, law says you've got to have line of sight

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #523 on: October 21, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
Goggles are good but to play the correct way we should be Los. Now even using a screen is not playing right but when I get to the limit of my vision I can't tell which way the quad is pointing so a quick reference to the screen will let me know how to bring it home again. It will also include the osd information so I don't have to keep asking how much battery I have used. It will also make it easier to show the crowd that will show up what we are looking at.
Always looking at improving the way I do stuff.
Work is looking at using quads for a bit of thermal imaging subject to the laws of course.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Marschy

« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:57 PM »
Which of the two OSDs are you going to get Crispy? iOSD mini or the full blown iOSD. Haven't used my iOSD mini yet, so I can't comment on it yet.