Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 684104 times)

Offline rokster72

• Tent User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1050 on: December 22, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Well, I must have more burnt braincells that I realised, but I not remember ordering 4 Blue Series ESC programming cards, 1 yes, 4 no. They came with the pan-tilt gimbal this morning from Hobbyking.

Does anyone want one, my stuffup, your win. It should fit in a regular business envelope, so how much is a stamp worth now? 3 on offer.

Merry Xmas to the first lucky 3, I'll pay for shipping and you can have one for nothing. I can't use all 4.

Hi Marschy..

Since I'm about to enter this quad-flying-thing.. if you have any left, can I stick my hand up for one ?

Thanks
Rokster

Marschy

« Reply #1051 on: December 22, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
Hi Marschy..

Since I'm about to enter this quad-flying-thing.. if you have any left, can I stick my hand up for one ?

Thanks
Rokster
Sure thing, just PM your address

Marschy

« Reply #1052 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »
Only one left

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1053 on: December 23, 2014, 07:18:51 AM »
Goodluckbuy have now got the mini OSD for Naza in stock .. This one has all the correct sockets for the Naza GPS and LED plugs ...

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/fpv-flight-controller-n1-osd-module-for-dji-naza-v1-v2-naza-lite-gps.html

Same as the one I'm getting through Ebay ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251604435645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

but $15 cheaper !!! Dammit ...

My Radiolink 10 ch turned up today - I'll spend the next few days reading the 90 page instruction manual !!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:46:06 AM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1054 on: December 23, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Ok, another call out for help please.

Tri flew great for about 4-6 batteries. Took it down to the footy oval on a reasonably breezy day and had a bit of trouble flying it - felt like a lack of power or response really but I thought maybe it was due to the wind, so the board was using up a fair amount of engine power just to keep steady?

Had a bit of a hard landing although landed perfectly level with a bit of sideways drift. Found the yaw mechanism cracked all the way through - not happy Jan considering the small amount of abuse it took. Took it apart, reglued it and reinforced it. Put it back together and went to fly it - then it yawed fast and uncontrollably one way (can't remember which way).

Spent the night trawling the internet for answer but didn't really come with anything except possibly reverse the yaw channel in the channel mixer from 100 to -100. I didn't think this would correct anything as it was flying fone before and nothing had changed except for the hard landing. So I tried it and it made it do the same thing - spin but in the opposite direction. So I set it back to how it was and take off again and low and behold it seems to fly fine again!

Put a fresh battery in this afternoon and it's back to yawing in one direction but slowly and I can stop it by holding in probably 15% yaw on the stick in the opposite direction. I tried trimming it on the Tx with no effect although in the receiver test screen it now shows 20 yaw instead of 0.

I checked to make sure the servo was centered and adjusted it in the yaw mechanism with no effect - as soon as I lift off it tilts the prop and starts yawing again.

I've been through all the kk screens and can't see anything else to try. It does it in self level and I think it also does it in ACRO but it was a bit hard to check properly because I had my hands full just trying to control it in self level.

I'm pretty sure it's the board doing it - not anything mechanical or the Tx or anything like that although it seems strange that it changed after the landing.

Oh I also changed the servo because I thought it was faulty but that obviously didn't fix it.

Help!!
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1055 on: December 23, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
I may have it sorted.

I've adjusted the yaw offset in the channel mixer from 50 up to 75 and it seems to have cured it. Not sure if it's 100% because I've only been hovering in my front yard but fingers crossed....

Now to try and recover the over discharged battery - did a factory reset on the board and then forgot to reset the low voltage alarm  >:(.

I've managed to get my charger to recognize that it's a 4s not 3s by doing a dodgy NiCad charge on it for a couple of minutes so we'll see how it goes...
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback

Marschy

« Reply #1056 on: December 23, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
I may have it sorted.

I've adjusted the yaw offset in the channel mixer from 50 up to 75 and it seems to have cured it. Not sure if it's 100% because I've only been hovering in my front yard but fingers crossed....

Now to try and recover the over discharged battery - did a factory reset on the board and then forgot to reset the low voltage alarm  >:(.

I've managed to get my charger to recognize that it's a 4s not 3s by doing a dodgy NiCad charge on it for a couple of minutes so we'll see how it goes...
Stick it on a 12 volt field charger (it must be a dumb charger, at least one that doesn't care if the battery voltage is too low for the type of battery) for about 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour or until it gets back to the minimum voltage that your balance charger doesn't reject it for too low voltage. If it has had it, nothing to lose. I've done this a couple of times now, pushing my luck though. One of my batteries has puffed up every so slightly and I keep a very close eye on it now.

Marschy

« Reply #1057 on: December 23, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
I had lots of trouble with getting anywhere near the CoG using the stock battery plate and the 4S battery. I tried extending the rear end of the existing tray, but the battery was hanging off the end of it and it still wouldn't balance.

I had a spare gimbal rail in my pile of stuff so I've hung that from the rear of the quad along with a battery tray that I pinched from my F450 crab undercarriage.

Thats taken care of the CoG problem. I can still move it back another 1.5 inches.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1058 on: December 23, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
I may have it sorted.

That should do it if it was a consitent spin in the same direction. Just adjust till spin is gone, may need more or less. I take your taking about the kk2 setting. Its been a while for me with a kk2.

If you get a sloppy yaw, I'd suggest the servo but you switched it. Did you get metal gear servos? They survive crashes much better and last longer.

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1059 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
I had lots of trouble with getting anywhere near the CoG using the stock battery plate and the 4S battery. I tried extending the rear end of the existing tray, but the battery was hanging off the end of it and it still wouldn't balance.

I had a spare gimbal rail in my pile of stuff so I've hung that from the rear of the quad along with a battery tray that I pinched from my F450 crab undercarriage.

Thats taken care of the CoG problem. I can still move it back another 1.5 inches.

Nice solution to the problem, its looking bigger and bigger every day . I had to shift my battery more rearward on the miniquad, had to balance the action cam...

Whats its overall length now?

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1060 on: December 23, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
Stick it on a 12 volt field charger (it must be a dumb charger, at least one that doesn't care if the battery voltage is too low for the type of battery) for about 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour or until it gets back to the minimum voltage that your balance charger doesn't reject it for too low voltage. If it has had it, nothing to lose. I've done this a couple of times now, pushing my luck though. One of my batteries has puffed up every so slightly and I keep a very close eye on it now.

It took 2800 odd mA according to my charger so I'll use it and see how it goes. It didn't get warm or puff or anything so I might be lucky.

Ended up that I didn't sort the yawing problem. Went and flew it again and it was still doing it BUT I figured it out I think. I was checking out the slider output screen and noticed the yaw was doing some weird stuff so I checked the transmitter - you guessed it, weird stuff too!

Recalibrated the sticks and pots but still no good. When I move the throttle from 0 to full with no rudder input, the output from the transmitter actually goes from left rudder diagonally up to the centre and then from the centre to full throttle it jumps around randomly and ends up diagonally to left rudder again.

So I guess that means a new gimble coming from china for me  >:(. I know it's a cheap transmitter but pretty crap really. At least it's only about $7 because I won't get warranty due to reflashing it.

So hopefully that will sort it out. I'll post a video of what it's doing if I can figure out how.
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1061 on: December 24, 2014, 01:49:06 AM »
Here's a video of what the transmitter is doing. It's hard to see thanks to youtube but hopefully it's clear enough:

Small | Large
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback

Marschy

« Reply #1062 on: December 24, 2014, 01:50:54 AM »
It took 2800 odd mA according to my charger so I'll use it and see how it goes. It didn't get warm or puff or anything so I might be lucky.

Ended up that I didn't sort the yawing problem. Went and flew it again and it was still doing it BUT I figured it out I think. I was checking out the slider output screen and noticed the yaw was doing some weird stuff so I checked the transmitter - you guessed it, weird stuff too!

Recalibrated the sticks and pots but still no good. When I move the throttle from 0 to full with no rudder input, the output from the transmitter actually goes from left rudder diagonally up to the centre and then from the centre to full throttle it jumps around randomly and ends up diagonally to left rudder again.

So I guess that means a new gimble coming from china for me  >:(. I know it's a cheap transmitter but pretty crap really. At least it's only about $7 because I won't get warranty due to reflashing it.

So hopefully that will sort it out. I'll post a video of what it's doing if I can figure out how.
Disappointing for sure. But like you say $7 for a spare part, but you can actually get spare parts, that's the important thing in my book. I would suggest trying swapping over gimbals on your 9XR anyway just to see if the problem goes away with a different gimbal. Really simple job. there are instructions on the web on how to do it. Look for Turnigy 9XR Converting from Mode 1 to Mode 2

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1063 on: December 24, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
Got my Multistar motors today and fitted them onto the Alien - quick test with props on and all 4 fans are now pushing air downwards ... So we have lift capability ....

Now it has to wait until Boxing Day for a tethered test and final assembly of the frame parts ... Pics to follow after Xmas ... I'm not sure if it will do the DJI auto hover thing ....

Thinking I might have to set that myself on the Tx ... Steve

Marschy

« Reply #1064 on: December 24, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
Got my Multistar motors today and fitted them onto the Alien - quick test with props on and all 4 fans are now pushing air downwards ... So we have lift capability ....

Now it has to wait until Boxing Day for a tethered test and final assembly of the frame parts ... Pics to follow after Xmas ... I'm not sure if it will do the DJI auto hover thing ....

Thinking I might have to set that myself on the Tx ... Steve
Can you get some pictures of your tether test rig?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1065 on: December 24, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
Maybe ?? I'm going to use light chain about 2 foot long .. maybe.LOL

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #1066 on: December 24, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
Maybe ?? I'm going to use light chain about 2 foot long .. maybe.LOL
I could make you up a cable

GG

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1067 on: December 24, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
Thanks GG but that cable might be a bit too springy...LOL.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1068 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
Plan on giving a drone as a holiday gift? The Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority is urging recipients of unmanned aircraft to fly their new toys safely.

The agency has launched a campaign called Flying With Control, which offers tips on the right and wrong ways to pilot that newly unwrapped drone.

Among the tips offered by the CASA: Fly your aircraft below 400 feet (120 metres), don't fly near airports or manned aircraft, and keep your drone 30 metres away from vehicles, boats, buildings and people.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/regulator-urges-drone-safety-ahead-of-holidays-20141224-12dkai.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1069 on: December 24, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »
Plan on giving a drone as a holiday gift? The Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority is urging recipients of unmanned aircraft to fly their new toys safely.

The agency has launched a campaign called Flying With Control, which offers tips on the right and wrong ways to pilot that newly unwrapped drone.

Among the tips offered by the CASA: Fly your aircraft below 400 feet (120 metres), don't fly near airports or manned aircraft, and keep your drone 30 metres away from vehicles, boats, buildings and people.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/regulator-urges-drone-safety-ahead-of-holidays-20141224-12dkai.html

Hmmm, i really dislike campaigns like this. Its what the agency would like, it doesnt align with legislation.... Only 400ft limit applies when x nm from airport or when in controlled airspace. Think of controlled airspace in a stepped upside down cone from an airport. If they want to educate people do what the legislation says. If they want it to be this get it changed, dont do it by the back door.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:21:42 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1070 on: December 25, 2014, 07:20:07 AM »
Nice solution to the problem, its looking bigger and bigger every day . I had to shift my battery more rearward on the miniquad, had to balance the action cam...

Whats its overall length now?
Merry Xmas

Overall length is now smack on 500mm, but you can adjust that by pushing or pulling the rails in or out.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1071 on: December 25, 2014, 07:24:03 AM »
Merry Christmas to all ...

Off to son's for Xmas dinner in sunny Bendigo ..

Tomorrow - final assembly and COG tests tethered .. Then watch the test ...

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1072 on: December 26, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Here's the Alien mounted on the tethered test bed --- I think the motors/esc need calibrating and I'm finding it VERY VERY difficult with the Emax 4in1 -- I will probably swap the Q-Brain into the Alien soon and the AT10 receiver and see how that works - Pretty sure the old 9" fans are a bit small as well - I have some 10" coming and got my eyes on a set of 12" self-tightening jobs

Pic in a sec ...

The chains are screwed to the MDF at each corner and wrapped over the landing leg and hooked to a small cup hook next to the leg..Works OK so far..

I did a time test while this was running and got 15 minutes to run the 4500mah 3S from 12.59 to 10.6 - Couple of stops and starts in the middle so probably about 12 minutes --
Response to the controls is a bit slow particularly when backing off the thrust .. Maybe because of the bad ( lack of ) calibration ???
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:44:50 PM by Mandrake »

Marschy

« Reply #1073 on: December 26, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
How high does the test bed limit the height of the quad to ? That a really handy looking jig

Marschy

« Reply #1074 on: December 26, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
Is that chandelier chain Steve?