Author Topic: Corporate theft  (Read 4208 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Corporate theft
« on: June 06, 2019, 06:07:30 AM »
We've all heard plenty from the Banking Royal Commission about folks being ripped off. But corporate theft is not limited to the banks. Here are two recent examples which I have experienced.

Stealing electricity. 
We had a big solar battery system installed at the end of April. A month before the installation, I called our energy supplier to organise a new smart meter, which we need in order to claim our solar rebates. I was told that the new meter could not be booked in until the system was actually installed. So, on the day of the installation, I called again to book the new smart meter, to be told that there is a 4-6 week wait. Why I don't know.
The guys came yesterday to install the meter and were surprised to hear that there was any wait at all.
In the meantime we have put some 400 kilowatt hours, worth about $80,  into the grid for which we have not been paid. So it looks like this confected "delay" is an easy way for the energy company to steal power.
Small dollars I know. But multiply this by hundreds of thousands of households and the result is big money - all stolen.

Stealing fuel.   
I filled up at a local national brand servo on the weekend and the fuel bowser claimed that it had dispensed several litres more than my tank can hold. The oil company firstly said that temperature differences can account for this, which is rubbish. Then they said that the fuel bowser had been checked and found to be okay. A few litres here or there isn't much. But theft is theft and, over thousands of customers, amounts to grand larceny.

Is corporate theft becoming an acceptable thing in Australia?

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Corporate theft
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »

Stealing electricity. 

We also had a delay in getting a smart meter installed when we got our first set of panels, but the installer hooked them up to the existing meter, & we had the pleasure of watching it wind backwards for a couple of weeks 8)

Have just seen an e-mail from the people who support Solar saying that Energy Networks Australia (the body for energy generators & distributors) are again pushing to be able to charge people to export power to the grid >:(

Stealing fuel.   

I know that's one thing they the powers-that-be do crack down on :police:

Here you go, Keith:

https://www.measurement.gov.au/Documents/PetrolPump.pdf

Fill in the form & let 'em know >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »
Quote from: KeithB

Keith
becoming?? you been asleep for 20 yrs?

The fuel thing I had the same at Albury on my bike back in 98... put 24ltrs in 21ltr tank that wasnt empty...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »
Had a smart meter  already installed before solar. Solar was installed and turned on and watched my readings double over 3 days. Rang the installer and told him the meter was charging me for what was coming in and what was going out. Was told to turn the solar off and the meter was to be reprogrammed. Only explanation was that it happens on some meters. Took 4 weeks and was charged a fee for the change..

Things like this have been going on for a long time and will continue to go on. Look at the banks. Royal commission over and done, interest rate fall, some don't  cut the full amount and takes weeks before they start the new rate. They make $millions in weeks and what happens when a rate rises. Rate will be changed within the week. No dragging the feet when it suits them.
Insurance company now have an extras package. You can't  pick and choose, you pay for the lot. What does a 60 year old want  with cover for pregnancy?  Bad luck you pay for it  if you need it or not. But what about hip replacement. No that is a extra you have to pay for.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:58:15 PM by corndog »

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 05:12:35 PM »
We also had a delay in getting a smart meter installed when we got our first set of panels, but the installer hooked them up to the existing meter, & we had the pleasure of watching it wind backwards for a couple of weeks 8)

They stuffed up our smart meter install and told me I couldn't turn the solar panels on until it was installed.

The solar circuit breaker somehow got switched (who knows how these things happen ???) and the paperwork got messed up, so Energex took around 2.5 months to come over and fit it the smart meter. Even with the 3kW system, we didn't actually use any power for the quarter according to the meter.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
You could apply the same to fast food giants with their drive through, How many times does an order get read back to the customer and they pick it up and drive off into the sunset..  5 / 10  kms away pull up and " Uh Ohhh this or thats missing or a cheaper item is in its place, depending on orders it could be $1 to $5 or more each  hit  " To much of a hassle to retrack even just across town so,  P*ssed of customer just puts up with it and writes it off as a once off mistake .. fast food mob X that by multiple hundreds each day / week helps to add extra to the profits .. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:22:37 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 05:58:07 PM »
State govt and QLD main roads are also thieves.
Main Roads are redoing the northern approach to Rockhampton.
I have a friend from school in Yeppoon who had some property at Parkhurst.
The land for the new road realignment was compulsorily resumed over a year ago.
Nobody has yet been paid for the land they lost. Calls and emails are not making a difference. Local member is not interested.
Main roads must be hoping everyone involved just gives up so they get the land for free.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Online Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 06:40:09 PM »
A few years back Swmbo & I had a week in Melbourne, staying in one of the major chains. When I checked credit card, they had over charged me by $12, I contacted them & they duly refunded....... well sort of.
They short changed me $0.20, now most people probably wouldn't have known or care, but I did.
So I found out how many rooms they have throughout Australia & their occupancy rates. What I worked out was based on that info, if every client was charged an extra $0.20 the hotel chain would make approximately an extra $120000.00 per year, more than enough for a managerial position I suspect. When I informed the said hotel manager, he was adamant it was a genuine honest mistake & said when I was next going to Melbourne to ring him direct & he would comp my accommodation, I haven't been back.
And that's one hotel chain

They did refund the 20cents

How many businesses would just pay the bill?????

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:42:14 PM by Moggy »
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
And just on the news tonight. Banks to reduce their interest  rates on invested money of customers. Didn't  take long for that to be passed on.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
Look at the banks. Royal commission over and done, interest rate fall, some don't  cut the full amount and takes weeks before they start the new rate. They make $millions in weeks and what happens when a rate rises. Rate will be changed within the week hour. No dragging the feet when it suits them.

FTFY Corny >:D

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
The solar circuit breaker somehow got switched (who knows how these things happen ???)

Haven't you told the kids before not to play with the meter box ??? >:D

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 11:27:41 AM »
Here you go, Keith:
https://www.measurement.gov.au/Documents/PetrolPump.pdf
Fill in the form & let 'em know >:D

Fizzie, because I am well known in the industry, I just filled out the form on the company's website, to keep the complaint profile low. Here's the email correspondence with my replies in blue:

"Hi Keith,

Thank you for contacting XXXXX Customer Service.

Please be advised that depending on the temperature on the day it can cause the fuel to expand or vice versa. This will not affect the volumetric comparison between the volume indicated on the dispenser and the volume actually dispensed. Temperature will affect the weight dispensed, but not the volume.
However, if you could please fill out the below form and reply with a copy of your receipt we would be happy to begin an investigation.

Purchase Time: Approximately mid-day
Purchase Date: 1st June 2019
Fuel Grade: Diesel
Pump Number: #3
Litre Discrepancy: Approx. 4 litres
Litre Amount: 181.37
Dollar Amount: $267.88
Vehicle Details: White Toyota Landcruiser (Rego number)
Description of Events: Filled up to more than fuel tank volume of 180 litres with several litres still in the tank. Usually, when the tank is running right on empty, we fill with 175-177 litres, except for one occasion in almost six years when we limped into the servo and filled to 179 litres.
On this occasion we filled to 181.37 litres, which is impossible for this 180 litre tank. See attached log book sorted by fill volume.
I do not want anything from 7-Eleven. Just please check this dispenser.
Best regards,
Keith"

Their reply:

"Hi Keith,
Thank you for contacting 7-Eleven Customer Service.
Regarding your complaint at our Rozelle Store, a Third Party Technician has attended the on the 04/06/2019 and they did not find any fault with the pump.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team on XXXXXXXX.
Have a great day.
Kind regards,
Customer Service"

I know it when I smell it and I know when I tread in it. I also know when I see it in writing.
Keith

200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »
Fizzie, because I am well known in the industry, I just filled out the form on the company's website, to keep the complaint profile low. Here's the email correspondence with my replies in blue:

"Hi Keith,

Thank you for contacting XXXXX Customer Service.

Please be advised that depending on the temperature on the day it can cause the fuel to expand or vice versa. This will not affect the volumetric comparison between the volume indicated on the dispenser and the volume actually dispensed. Temperature will affect the weight dispensed, but not the volume.
However, if you could please fill out the below form and reply with a copy of your receipt we would be happy to begin an investigation.

Purchase Time: Approximately mid-day
Purchase Date: 1st June 2019
Fuel Grade: Diesel
Pump Number: #3
Litre Discrepancy: Approx. 4 litres
Litre Amount: 181.37
Dollar Amount: $267.88
Vehicle Details: White Toyota Landcruiser (Rego number)
Description of Events: Filled up to more than fuel tank volume of 180 litres with several litres still in the tank. Usually, when the tank is running right on empty, we fill with 175-177 litres, except for one occasion in almost six years when we limped into the servo and filled to 179 litres.
On this occasion we filled to 181.37 litres, which is impossible for this 180 litre tank. See attached log book sorted by fill volume.
I do not want anything from 7-Eleven. Just please check this dispenser.
Best regards,
Keith"

Their reply:

"Hi Keith,
Thank you for contacting 7-Eleven Customer Service.
Regarding your complaint at our Rozelle Store, a Third Party Technician has attended the on the 04/06/2019 and they did not find any fault with the pump.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team on XXXXXXXX.
Have a great day.
Kind regards,
Customer Service"

I know it when I smell it and I know when I tread in it. I also know when I see it in writing.
Keith

So, what your saying is that you know s... ?  :angel:
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
Only when it's heaped on me. Avatrol.
Keith

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
We've all heard plenty from the Banking Royal Commission about folks being ripped off. But corporate theft is not limited to the banks. Here are two recent examples which I have experienced.

Stealing electricity. 
We had a big solar battery system installed at the end of April. A month before the installation, I called our energy supplier to organise a new smart meter, which we need in order to claim our solar rebates. I was told that the new meter could not be booked in until the system was actually installed. So, on the day of the installation, I called again to book the new smart meter, to be told that there is a 4-6 week wait. Why I don't know.
The guys came yesterday to install the meter and were surprised to hear that there was any wait at all.
In the meantime we have put some 400 kilowatt hours, worth about $80,  into the grid for which we have not been paid. So it looks like this confected "delay" is an easy way for the energy company to steal power.
Small dollars I know. But multiply this by hundreds of thousands of households and the result is big money - all stolen.

Stealing fuel.   
I filled up at a local national brand servo on the weekend and the fuel bowser claimed that it had dispensed several litres more than my tank can hold. The oil company firstly said that temperature differences can account for this, which is rubbish. Then they said that the fuel bowser had been checked and found to be okay. A few litres here or there isn't much. But theft is theft and, over thousands of customers, amounts to grand larceny.

Keith

If you don’t have a smart meter, you old style meter will either slow down or go backwards.
You actually gain having the old style meter as you are paid at the same rate you are charged, while the smart meter can discriminate between used and generated power
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »

old style meter will either slow down or go backwards.
Hi,
    Watching my old meter running backwards was so much more satisfying, both visually and financially.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
If you don’t have a smart meter, you old style meter will either slow down or go backwards.
You actually gain having the old style meter as you are paid at the same rate you are charged, while the smart meter can discriminate between used and generated power
Lloyd

So you could theoretically (probably illegally) put a solar setup on with an old meter without notifying anyone and get the equivalent feed in rate of what you are paying.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 05:44:42 PM »
So you could theoretically (probably illegally) put a solar setup on with an old meter without notifying anyone and get the equivalent feed in rate of what you are paying.

Depends on whether your electricity provider is on board. Since those meters are not supposed to go backwards, sometimes they just assume that it's gone all the way around and charge you for the full trip. It has happened to a few people that I know of and because it's power companies it takes forever to sort out.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
It doesn’t go very far backwards, you would consume the amount over night.
However they would investigate if your meter effectively stopped working
But first would send you some high “estimated” bills

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »
Quote from: lloydus67
But first would send you some high “estimated” bills
they do that now for many people...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »
So taking Keith's thread a little further of topic, Just found this article about backwards spinning meters https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/electricity-meter-runs-backwards/ and it seems like it is legally a grey area, but you could theoretically pick up a 2nd hand rooftop solar setup, which you can often pick up very cheaply on gumtree like this 2kw one do the bulk of the install yourself, get someone who is happy to come and connect it (likely easier said than done) and get approx $250 of each bill, with a payback period of just over a yr.

edit, a 3kw like this one would save about $370/quarter as long as you are still using more electricity on the whole than it is likely to produce with a payback period probably measured in days, not years.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:33:14 AM by tryagain »