Author Topic: Have your say on vehicle access passes in Queensland  (Read 3486 times)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Have your say on vehicle access passes in Queensland
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
Thought this is a worthy survey to bring to peoples attention.
If you have a view on vehicle access passes for QLD beaches and other areas the QLD govt would like to hear from you. Survey ends 13 March 2020
I have long maintained that there should be one pass fthat can be used in all areas , similar to what NSW NP have.

https://www.qld.gov.au/VAPsurvey
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:36:39 PM by rags »
The following users thanked this post: GBC, tryagain, Pete79

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Have your say on vehicle access passes in Queensland
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
Pretty average survey......

Obvious they didn’t want to here/read people real feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 06:55:24 AM »
Pretty average survey......

Obvious they didn’t want to here/read people real feedback.

I thought a bit the same but there’s nothing to stop you sending them an email if you have more to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
Survey complete and email sent....

I'm not expecting any answers to my questions about what's happened to the millions of dollars they've collected, but will post up here if I actually get a reply.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
Filled out, the multiple passes required are a PITA compared to NSW where I grew up. It seemed like a number of leading questions trying to justify spending more of the money they get from them on "environmental education" than infrastructure though as opposed to actually creating a pass that covers multiple areas for a reasonable price.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:05:22 PM »
Well I got the reply that i expected..... ::)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback on the Vehicle Access Permit (VAP) survey.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service and Partnerships (QPWS) administers Queensland's popular recreation areas to support the community’s aspirations for tourism, camping, four wheel driving and bushwalking while protecting these areas for future generations.

Queensland's recreation areas are established under the Recreation Areas Management Act 2006 and include the Cooloola Recreation Area.  Revenue generated from camping, VAP fees and commercial tours in recreation areas is reinvested back into the management of these areas, ensuring that the natural and cultural values of these protected areas are well managed.

Key bodies of work that are funded from the revenue generated includes road and track maintenance, facilities upgrades and maintenance, visitor safety improvements, interpretive displays and signage, natural resource management activities and ranger education and compliance patrols. QPWS works in close partnership with a number of other organisations in the management of the areas.

QPWS encourages campers to bring portable toilets for use at the Teewah Beach camping zone. A portable toilet waste disposal station is available at the Freshwater camping and day-use area, and QPWS has invested $320,000 in the construction of a new portable toilet waste disposal station at Noosa North Shore.  Works are due to commence in late February 2020.  This new facility will further support campers using the beach camping zone.

Revenue generated from visitors using the recreation areas is making a significant contribution to maintaining and protecting the natural values of these areas, and is invested into providing visitors with a safe and enjoyable experience.
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey.

Regards,

QPWS & Partnerships
Department of Environment and Science
PO Box 15187, City East  QLD 400

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
I would like to see the breakdown of what income they have received, and what it has been spent on.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
I would like to see the breakdown of what income they have received, and what it has been spent on.

That would be transparency..a word that is not in any govts vocabulary...unless its to cover up more of their lies.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Have your say on vehicle access passes in Queensland
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »
That is specifically what I asked for in my email to them.

How many millions of dollars have you collected just from the Cooloola recreation area since these permits where introduced?
Can you outline costs of the works completed in this area since these permits where introduced?
Still no toilets in the camping area?
Still no safety improvements to the beach access at Double Island point?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:37:07 PM by Pete79 »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
I reckon they should make it compulsory to carry a portable toilet in any of the beach areas. 

We carry one and we only have a 4WD Poptop and it travel inside the cab....kit that hard as we don’t tow a trailer or have a trayback.

The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 04:46:21 PM »
That is specifically what I asked for in my email to them.
I suspect a very big piece of the pie would be chalked up to something called "administration" with layers of bureaucracy that insure that it keeps people in a job and makes things like a dump point cost $320,000 to install. It would be interesting to see how much private caravan parks pay for a dump point to be installed, I suspect it would be far less.

I reckon they should make it compulsory to carry a portable toilet in any of the beach areas. 

Totally agree, I heard through the grapevine that the level of E. coli in the groundwater was very high due to all the bush turds.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 08:47:04 AM »
I suspect a very big piece of the pie would be chalked up to something called "administration" with layers of bureaucracy that insure that it keeps people in a job and makes things like a dump point cost $320,000 to install. It would be interesting to see how much private caravan parks pay for a dump point to be installed, I suspect it would be far less.

We all know the first rule of pricing for Govt contracts - add another 0 >:D

Totally agree, I heard through the grapevine that the level of E. coli in the groundwater was very high due to all the bush turds.

20+ years ago, there was talk of installing Portaloos throughout the Army training area at Tin Can Bay, as they reckoned water samples taken from the Bay showed contamination ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline mrsedz

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 10:48:36 AM »
We used to purchase our permits at the ranger stations or online over the years of camping on Fraser Island. It was then pointed out to us that by paying this way the funds are distributed all over Queensland, not specifically Fraser Island itself. Since then we were advised that to have these funds go to Fraser Island, we were better off purchasing our permits through places like Manta Ray Barge's office which is what we now do. Currently we have to purchase a multi vehicle permit for Cooloola and Fraser Island if we are going via Tewantin otherwise we get a single vehicle permit if going to Fraser island. This permit is for a month, which last year we had to purchase a months permit even though we were only going to a day trip to Fraser Island. Therefore they really need to review their permits.
Trying to live the dream!

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »
We used to purchase our permits at the ranger stations or online over the years of camping on Fraser Island. It was then pointed out to us that by paying this way the funds are distributed all over Queensland, not specifically Fraser Island itself. Since then we were advised that to have these funds go to Fraser Island, we were better off purchasing our permits through places like Manta Ray Barge's office which is what we now do.

Was this pointed out by somewhere like Mantra Barges? I suspect places like that, don't sell passes out of the goodness of their own heart, but actually get a cut for doing so (they are a business, not a charity). I could be wrong but find it hard to believe that a specific area pass goes just to that area if bought through a local business, but if purchased online or from the local ranger it goes into general revenue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:26:13 PM by tryagain »
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »
I buy my permit of 7 wave info shop at Rainbow beach they do not charge the 10% surcharge like Manta ray barges do and others in town, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer