Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 139644 times)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »
Still twice the price of the similar petrol model !!.........

....and they're coal-powered....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
....and they're coal-powered....

Yep.....if you want to recharge your elect car at 1am of a night....long after your powerwall has run out of puff, and still 7hrs until the solar panels recharge the powerwall, you are stuck with a recharge from the grid.....coal fired !!  :cup:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
Still twice the price of the similar petrol model !! That's a lot of money for an electric motor and a battery bank !!

That is somewhat offset against lower maintenance costs and it being a lot cheaper to run an EV (approx 3-4 times cheaper). Of course part of the reason for that is the lack of excise on the electricity and that may change in the future. Doesn't yet make them the better financial option, but levels it bit.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2019, 10:22:45 PM »

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2019, 10:31:05 PM »
Still around 50% carbon-based at 2050.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2019, 11:36:06 PM »
Raw material dug out of ground by : Fossil fueled machines / transported by : Fossil fueled machines / Processed into parts & assembled by : Coal powered electric machines / Transported around the world for sale by : Fossil fueled machines .............  Green machines  Powered by electricity generated by coal  ............   ::);D ;D
 But But But I'm doing my bit to Save the planet they Bleat  :angel:       ;D ;D  ::)  ;D ;D ;D 
Then BBBrrrrrrrTTTTTTTT  Mother Nature has a fanny fart from a VOLCANO and  PPFFFFTTTTTTT The Green Rainbow Unicorn emissions savings " Just went awayyyy for another few hundred years "  Ohhh **** Just when they were doing so well   :'(
Only 50 or 60 Mother Nature fanny farts happening on earth each year and about 28 currently having a bit of a blow  ;D go greenies go  :cup:

I'd build one of these for a bit of fun though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kJOXr3HzA&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:26:37 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2019, 11:58:45 PM »
Right now, only 27% of US electricity comes from coal. Natural gas has picked up the slack. But the pollies have made such a stuff up of the gas market that we are unlikely to follow suit. Still a fossil fuel for sure, but a lot less greenhouse gas from natural gas.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2019, 10:35:08 AM »
I'd build one of these for a bit of fun though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kJOXr3HzA&feature=youtu.be

While not wheelchair bound my bride has mobility issues and does find herself restricted a lot.  For example there is no way she could attempt the hike in this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ela3bPtookg.  What he has done with the ebikes is great.  Since first seeing the video ages ago we have been looking at the ebikes and she has had a test ride on one and amazed how easy it was.  Just a case of finding the right one. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2019, 06:12:52 PM »
Right now, only 27% of US electricity comes from coal. Natural gas has picked up the slack. But the pollies have made such a stuff up of the gas market that we are unlikely to follow suit. Still a fossil fuel for sure, but a lot less greenhouse gas from natural gas.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
Keith

Yes, but looking at the figures, between coal and gas...60%......nuclear 19% and total renewables only 17%.

We can't achieve those figures because we have no nuclear and we have sold most of OUR gas to the Chinese. So we are left with coal and a small amount of renewables.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »
Watched a bit of Formula E today. They sound like a bunch of cats in heat! Hopefully road cars of the future will be much more quiet.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »
Electric cars are quiet, it's a wonder we don't have more Pedestrians knocked over by them.
I remember someone trying to Legislate electric cars "had to make a noise whilst in motion, enabling Pedestrians to be aware of their presence".
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
You need to add a Roo whistle but for people
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
You need to add a Roo whistle but for people
would they go fast enough to make noise? certainly wouldnt in town :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »
Electric cars are quiet, it's a wonder we don't have more Pedestrians knocked over by them.
I remember someone trying to Legislate electric cars "had to make a noise whilst in motion, enabling Pedestrians to be aware of their presence".

Many councils have resorted to putting glued on mats with raised surfaces on path intersections .  This is because the half wit pedestrians are so transfixed by the photo of a cup of coffee on their mobile phone they forget to stop at the intersection and walk into traffic.  Do we really need to save these people who cant even walk down a footpath safely?  The mind boggles.  Next step will be mini boom gates at all pathway intersections to save the people whose life revolves around a 5 inch screen...
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
Many councils have resorted to putting glued on mats with raised surfaces on path intersections .  This is because the half wit pedestrians are so transfixed by the photo of a cup of coffee on their mobile phone they forget to stop at the intersection and walk into traffic.  Do we really need to save these people who cant even walk down a footpath safely?  The mind boggles.  Next step will be mini boom gates at all pathway intersections to save the people whose life revolves around a 5 inch screen...
Too right dammed blind people with their white canes.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
Next step will be mini boom gates at all pathway intersections to save the people whose life revolves around a 5 inch screen...

They're already trying footpath level traffic lights ::)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-30/sydney-phone-pedestrians-to-get-traffic-lights-in-pavement/7459152
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2019, 01:35:59 PM »
Was just listening to a motoring expert/reviewer on the radio.
He’s just been driving the electric Hyundai Kona. It retails for $60k, double the price of the petrol version. The replacement battery is $36000.
Charging takes 9hrs

Problem is when you want to trade in or sell the battery will only have a certain amount of life left making the car virtually worthless. Current battery life is 8 years.

Also cobalt which is a material used in these batteries is more scarce then lithium in which the Japanese are trying to work out a why to recycle this product from old batteries.

Batteries also have a shelf life so how will these be kept for spare parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
He’s just been driving the electric Hyundai Kona. It retails for $60k, double the price of the petrol version. The replacement battery is $36000.
Charging takes 9hrs

Problem is when you want to trade in or sell the battery will only have a certain amount of life left making the car virtually worthless. Current battery life is 8 years.

Also cobalt which is a material used in these batteries is more scarce then lithium in which the Japanese are trying to work out a why to recycle this product from old batteries.

Yep replace on finite resource with numerous finite elements that leave toxic waste.  But they don't want to talk about that just that an electric car has no emissions with is good for the Planet. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
Has anyone got any ideas on how much it costs to recharge your car, is it meant to be cheaper than petrol/ diesel?
Hi,
   at the recent Agfest show, along with some modern EVs was a 2009 Subaru waggon that had been converted. Amongst the various notices on the vehicle was his running cost of $6/100km. It was not indicated which tarrif this was on, but our main tarrif is 28c/kWh which works out at 21.42 kWh/100km.
Off peak power is cheaper.
Cheers

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2019, 02:51:01 PM »
Yep replace on finite resource with numerous finite elements that leave toxic waste.  But they don't want to talk about that just that an electric car has no emissions with is good for the Planet.

Or the more pressing point that they need the coal fired electricity to manufacture and mine the renewable power solutions to create this "green" future..........
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
Charging takes 9hrs

Thanks for relaying that interview, I did hear parts of it but missed the guts of the interview as I was welding and grinding on my trailer using my coal powered welder and grinder.

Heard another interview recently with an electrician who is installing fast chargers into secure and Wilson car parks.He stated that the fast chargers need around 32 amps to work. To get 32 amps you need 3 phase power. Problem is to retro fit into existing units or houses , most premises will not have the capacity in the existing wiring.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2019, 06:55:13 PM »
.........He stated that the fast chargers need around 32 amps to work. To get 32 amps you need 3 phase power. Problem is to retro fit into existing units or houses , most premises will not have the capacity in the existing wiring.
question for those in the industry....will the neighbourhood  grids be able to handle a pile of houses in each street drawing all that power each night on the set up we now have, or will that somehow need upgrading to handle an increase in demand? Got me thinking the middle of Summer with all the household aircons running and add in all these cars charging, it may be an issue somehow?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »
question for those in the industry....will the neighbourhood  grids be able to handle a pile of houses in each street drawing all that power each night on the set up we now have, or will that somehow need upgrading to handle an increase in demand? Got me thinking the middle of Summer with all the household aircons running and add in all these cars charging, it may be an issue somehow?

I think most people won't be fast charging when at home, firstly as they are likely to be there for a while, and secondly, fast charging requires a lot of power that most houses aren't equipped to provide. I suspect we will see more smart meters going forward that will at least allow surge pricing and/or hand over greater control to the network and they will flatten out the peaks by switching of charging when demand vs supply is the highest and back on when either demand drops or supply increases.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »

If there was a lot of elect cars with the present base load capabilities then not a big problem.  But in the future, with MAYBE a lot of elect cars and a green push to close base load power stations, that increase in night time demand would certainly be a problem......unless by then someone has come up with a replacement for coal as a base load.....gas would be the obvious but we have sold most of our reserve outputs.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
I think most people won't be fast charging when at home, firstly as they are likely to be there for a while, and secondly, fast charging requires a lot of power that most houses aren't equipped to provide. I suspect we will see more smart meters going forward that will at least allow surge pricing and/or hand over greater control to the network and they will flatten out the peaks by switching of charging when demand vs supply is the highest and back on when either demand drops or supply increases.
yeah I just realised what I asked as I was eating dinner just now, there's no need to fast charge over night ...so anyone know how much draw a slow charge does? Is it more or less then say an air con unit in a house for instance
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:30:13 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t