Author Topic: Re: Batten down the hatches Vic  (Read 460942 times)

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Batten down the hatches Vic
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
We had some wild gusts as the front came through, but no damage. About 1/2 inch of steady rain over night.

Sad about the toddler being killed. Not even started on its life  :'(.

Sorry to hear about your leak and ceiling damage, D4D. Hope it's not too bad and expensive to fix. Covered by storm and tempest insurance as the water came down, not up.
Had to put a screwdriver through ours back in the 1980s to let the water through, otherwise the ceiling would have come down on us (old type fibrous plaster)! Then got up on the roof in my togs at 3 AM and moved all the rubbish to find the broken tiles. We were having an upstairs extension done at the time.

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Re: Batten down the hatches Vic
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
Well spotted KB. Sorted. :cheers:

That's an awful lot of  history consigned to the rubbish bin. Sad.

Just saying ...

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2015, 08:47:24 AM »
We were at Hanging Rock watching the Eagles. We could see it coming and when it hit ,  one of their big screens folded in half and Don Henley saw it and bolted off stage. Wild and wooly for a while and it absolutely bucketed down. Those with poncho's were alright  ;D but eventually they were letting water in. To their credit the band came back and just played thru all the leaks. Joe Walsh talks like a grandad without his teeth in but absolutely smashed it with his guitar playing and his songs. Got home at 2.30 this morning.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:17:41 AM by raider »
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »
Yeah, I think the wind dislodged some loose tiles and in the water came :(

EDIT - In the light of day I can see that the wind got under a piece of flashing and dislodged it taking a tile with it, hence open hole in roof and wet ceiling :'(
Geez mate hope it's not too bad  :-[ We had a real wild front too some serious wind.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Meltdown

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:43 PM »
We were at Hanging Rock watching the Eagles. We could see it coming and when it hit it,  one of their big screens folded in half and Don Henley saw it and bolted off stage. Wild and wooly for a while and it absolutely bucketed down. Those with poncho's were alright  ;D but eventually they were letting water in. To their credit the band came back and just played thru all the leaks. Joe Walsh talks like a grandad without his teeth in but absolutely smashed it with his guitar playing and his songs. Got home at 2.30 this morning.
I was also at Hanging Rock raider, sunburnt during the day and soaked during the evening. Well worth it though and I agree about Joe Walsh, probably the highlight of the night apart from the lightning show.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:07:37 PM by Meltdown »

AdrianLR

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »
Hanging Rock wasn't much fun. We had the projection screen in front of us. It was already playing up so it looks like they lowered it to patch it up which may have either been lucky that it wasn't much higher or unlucky as the bottom stays were loose. The water coming in the sides of the stage would have been a worry with the miles of cables. Plenty of other bands would have gone home so good on them. The mood, however, didn't recover as we sat in rain for the next few hours. Oh well, others have fared much worse.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:53:54 PM by AdrianLR »

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »
was down at RACV Inverloch camping in the CT. It nearly took off
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2015, 02:37:59 PM »
Didn't cop any of that at Dargo. It was warm and humid all evening, we were sitting in the river til about 7pm.
Started drizzling about 2am and didn't really let up, but nothing of what Melbourne got smashed with.
 :cheers:
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
That's an awful lot of  history consigned to the rubbish bin. Sad.

Just saying ...
Really Ratbag  ??? ???. If you look at that particular thread it serves the forum little other than for members to amuse themselves in the moment. There is no history to it at all worth keeping. It bemuses me how precious some get over this stuff. If we see a thread getting huge on worthless posts then it will get culled.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD
The following users thanked this post: Ratbag

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
Really Ratbag  ??? ???. If you look at that particular thread it serves the forum little other than for members to amuse themselves in the moment. There is no history to it at all worth keeping. It bemuses me how precious some get over this stuff. If we see a thread getting huge on worthless posts then it will get culled.

Noooooooooooooooo ;D
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
Nice to meet you Dan and thanks for coming over to quote on my roof repair this arvo :cup:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2015, 07:19:27 PM »

what about members??????

Just saying  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/
The following users thanked this post: Ratbag

scarpsD40

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2015, 07:32:27 PM »
Snow, if you haven't already done so, you could cull all my posts about my old Jeep. Pretty sure noone's interested in those. Might free up some space?

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »

Snow, if you haven't already done so, you could cull all my posts about my old Jeep. Pretty sure noone's interested in those. Might free up some space?
But there is some real history there Scarps, and some quality Jeep vilification worth a revisit every now and then.

Sent from my pad, aye!
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD
The following users thanked this post: oldmate

KingBilly

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
what about members??????

Just saying  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Want a tissue for your issue oldmate  ;D ;D  ;D ;D  ;D

Just saying  ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D

KB

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »
So very sad to see that a toddler died, 22 months.  My 2 foster boys remind me every day just how precious that age is.
Kudos to the family for describing it as a trajic accident, which is exactly what it was.
Brickbats to Channel 9 for following with a shot of the up-turned base of the huge tree, accompanied by the comment that it had been confirmed that "the tree was on Council land."

What was their point exactly?
If we could tell which tree would come down and cause injury we could easily remove it in advance. But we can't... Does anyone seriously think we should remove all the trees in the Dandenongs?

In some ways storms are even more insidious than bushfires, at least with fires it is possible to clean up property in advance.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2015, 07:27:04 AM »

Gidday Snow

My own web site gives me unlimited storage and high speed access and download speeds (at least as fast as this site ... ). It costs me about $10 p.m. when I pay two yearly in advance.

Does it really matter if a few KB are taken up with mindless waffle?
If it does, half this site,  or any other, could be deleted ...

But that approach would also remove much of the social activity and content. It is this activity that makes us humans.

Just IMHO.

Regards, RB.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
What was their point exactly?
If we could tell which tree would come down and cause injury we could easily remove it in advance. But we can't... Does anyone seriously think we should remove all the trees in the Dandenongs?

Their point was pretty obvious. Some of the council decisions around tree work are made with the best interest of the environment, not for human safety. I have a 20m tree on my nature strip that needs to come down for safety, it is not classified as a significant tree as it was planted by the developer. Nillumbik Shire won't give me a permit to remove and replant a more suitable tree.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »
Their point was pretty obvious. Some of the council decisions around tree work are made with the best interest of the environment, not for human safety. I have a 20m tree on my nature strip that needs to come down for safety, it is not classified as a significant tree as it was planted by the developer. Nillumbik Shire won't give me a permit to remove and replant a more suitable tree.
The bloke over the road from my joint just got that sorted out... sadly the tree.... DIED over months and once dead was removed...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »

While taking good care of it by removing grass growing around its trunk with a whipper snipper, the tree can accidentally end up becoming ring barked ... ;).

Injecting nitric acid under soil level also works wonders ...

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:11 AM »
That is the path I should have taken in the first instance, however now they know I want it removed it would look suspicious if it died...

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »
Quote from: D4D
That is the path I should have taken in the first instance, however now they know I want it removed it would look suspicious if it died...

You had nothing to do with it.. must have been someone else. I wouldn't kill it with the risk of it falling on the car...  :angel:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »
While taking good care of it by removing grass growing around its trunk with a whipper snipper, the tree can accidentally end up becoming ring barked

:o a whipper snipper will do that ???
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
:o a whipper snipper will do that ???
Or pruning. At the base >:D
Ultimate LC79 Combo