Author Topic: Trailer Question  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Jase013

• Learning the Ropes
Trailer Question
« on: May 28, 2022, 10:21:31 PM »
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a good forum to ask some questions on getting a trailer (not a camper trailer)?

Looking for some suggestions /recommendations on a multi purpose trailer that I can buy to use for a SXS, ride on mower and even transporting some cattle (one or two at a time) if needed in an emergency situation.

Happy to look at manufacturers between Sydney and Canberra.

Cheers,
Jase

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Trailer Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 12:47:10 AM »
Sxs mower I can’t find on Google, however a cow or 2 means a trailer that can handle not only 2-3 tons but also be stable enough for a load that is not secure and in fact will move/ shift it’s load.
I would probably suggest a dog trailer and a small truck to pull it. But then you may as well put the cows in the truck.

Sent from me

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 09:01:35 AM »
SxS, is 'Side by side' buggy such as JD, Can-am etc.
A small horse float may do the trick.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »
Just followed a horse float coming home & thought this is what you described.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 02:25:02 PM »
Having   had a bit to do with cattle in a past life, and have moved them around in a dual axle trailer with stock crate, this is the minimum type of set up you would require...

https://www.trailertrailers.com.au/product/stock-crate-livestock-tandem-axle-heavy-duty-trailer-sale-melbourne-victoria/

https://armstrongtrailers.com.au/trailers/stock-crate-livestock-cattle-trailers-for-sale-in-bendigo/

It would probably give you a load capacity of about 1200kg.  A heavy cow weighs in about at least  600kg.  12 month old  vealers 250 - 350kg.

You would need to add the centre divider option, because if you're moving a single 600kg or so beast around, the last thing you want to experience whilst on the move is it moving from the front of the trailer to the rear....

You would probably also need to have the rear door panel hinged so it could be opened to give a full width entry, otherwise you would probably have to unbolt it and remove whenever you wanted to load the SBS.

Do not under any circumstances carry large cattle in a trailer without overhead bars fitted...... Seeing them go over the side is not a good experience.

Personally I would not put large cattle in a horse float.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:34:34 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 06:44:10 PM »
Not sure about a cattle trailer, but for a good trailer for a reasonable price you could try https://qualitycustomtrailer.com.au/ at Minto/ Campbelltown
I have a 7x4 box trailer which is now 8 years old and more than happy with the quality.

Offline wetduck

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 12:20:06 PM »
Need a stock crate for cattle but would have to remove it to load sxs. A tractor mounted front end loader works or you could set up 4 stands at each corner of the trailer with a pipe at each end through the trailer to mount and dismount stock crate.

Or maybe a customised rear door on the stock crate that incorporates a full swing door and a slide gate?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 12:23:46 PM by wetduck »
The following users thanked this post: Jase013

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 01:25:35 PM »

Or maybe a customised rear door on the stock crate that incorporates a full swing door and a slide gate?

Already Mentioned....  :)   :cheers:

You would probably also need to have the rear door panel hinged so it could be opened to give a full width entry, otherwise you would probably have to unbolt it and remove whenever you wanted to load the SBS.

2009 Coromal 452

Offline Jase013

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »
Sxs mower I can’t find on Google

Sent from me

Hi Lloyd,

Sorry I should have clarified that.

Offline Jase013

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 04:49:31 PM »
Having   had a bit to do with cattle in a past life, and have moved them around in a dual axle trailer with stock crate, this is the minimum type of set up you would require...

https://www.trailertrailers.com.au/product/stock-crate-livestock-tandem-axle-heavy-duty-trailer-sale-melbourne-victoria/

https://armstrongtrailers.com.au/trailers/stock-crate-livestock-cattle-trailers-for-sale-in-bendigo/

It would probably give you a load capacity of about 1200kg.  A heavy cow weighs in about at least  600kg.  12 month old  vealers 250 - 350kg.

You would need to add the centre divider option, because if you're moving a single 600kg or so beast around, the last thing you want to experience whilst on the move is it moving from the front of the trailer to the rear....

Do not under any circumstances carry large cattle in a trailer without overhead bars fitted...... Seeing them go over the side is not a good experience.

Personally I would not put large cattle in a horse float.

:cheers:

Thanks Marc,

Was looking at something like this.

https://mechidtrailers.com.au/product/10x6-tandem-box-trailer-with-ramp-1200mm-high-multi-usage/

I might have to give the cattle transportation a miss!!!

Offline Jase013

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 04:51:34 PM »
Sorry I have been offline for a few days, thanks to everyone for your replies.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 06:24:21 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 06:40:11 PM »

I might have to give the cattle transportation a miss!!!

I think that a 10 x 6 with cage would be far better for your needs...   :cheers:

Cattle handling is a job for those who have many years experience.

if they are  sick, you call a rural vet, they come to you. If you want them removed prior to fire, or other natural disaster, you call a livestock carrier.

Your reply came before I was going to ask for a clarification... what sort of emergency..   

Shoot me a PM if you ever need some rural advice...

Cheers, Al.

2009 Coromal 452