Author Topic: Raining  (Read 14068 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Raining
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2022, 08:54:50 PM »
The trick is getting a layer of control between the councils and the developers who lobby them to be able to turn wet horse paddocks into multi res estates - logan city council …..
The QLD state government drilled all the major flood plains in the 60’s and 70’s and has very accurate data. (Brisbane river has had 28 metre high floods somewhere prior to the last 200 years…..)
Flood modelling is all done.
Satellite mapping for floods is all done.
Early settlement towns like Lismore, Ipswich, Maryborough and Gympie I feel sorry for (traveston crossing dam isn’t looking too bad anymore hey?) but there is absolutely zero reason for modern housing to be flood affected apart from people forgetting hard lessons.

It just seems we have stopped learning from History and applying what work by adopting building standards that do not meet the building location.   If elver's place can be ready to living in a matter of weeks, unlike other buildings which will need to be rebuilt or extensive renovations it only shows what needs to be done. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2022, 03:07:59 PM »
Not just developers that are to blame. Plenty of individuals are yelling at councils to free up more and more land for housing. My daughter lives on the Sunny Coast and whenever a new development gets opened up you have to put your name into a ballot and hope that it comes up otherwise you wait until the next one.

I imagine it is the same in a number of places.

Heard it said on the radio the other day that not everyone can build on a hill

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2022, 04:34:07 PM »
CVC had joined a Northern Rivers Planning group, from I can gather it is to stop the NSW government green lighting Wet Land Development.
Developers have bypassed local government, local councils have been blind sided.
Development goes ahead, state picks up the taxes, local government has to deal with the infrastructure and back lash from the community.
This what we are dealing with in The Clarence Valley. Hopefully our new Councilours are pushing back against the State. Hmmm

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2022, 07:32:44 PM »

Heard it said on the radio the other day that not everyone can build on a hill

Living on the top of the hill can be overrated. I did just that for 25 years , had 270 degree uninterrupted views some 50 km into the distance of both Wollemi and Blue Mts but lived in fear every time it got hot for fear there would be another bush fire. And then at other times came the winds that would blow the proverbial dog of the chain.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2022, 07:40:52 PM »
It just seems we have stopped learning from History and applying what work by adopting building standards that do not meet the building location.   If elver's place can be ready to living in a matter of weeks, unlike other buildings which will need to be rebuilt or extensive renovations it only shows what needs to be done.

The problem will only get worse as building codes require houses in future  to be built to a x star energy efficiency requiring more insulation, natural ventilation thru windows etc.
Then we will have another set of rules requiring accessible housing so now we will need a step free entry, there goes the elevated home.
Next we will be required to build resilient housing and we will be struggling to comply with the energy efficiency because we will need less windows with shutters etc.

Might be time to live in a caravan and tow it away from the risk of the next disaster.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2022, 09:31:35 PM »
The problem will only get worse as building codes require houses in future  to be built to a x star energy efficiency requiring more insulation, natural ventilation thru windows etc.
Then we will have another set of rules requiring accessible housing so now we will need a step free entry, there goes the elevated home.
Next we will be required to build resilient housing and we will be struggling to comply with the energy efficiency because we will need less windows with shutters etc.

Might be time to live in a caravan and tow it away from the risk of the next disaster.
similar new 4 billionty rules in firezones.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2022, 06:45:58 AM »
Too many stupid rules, I am building atm.
One part is a non load bearing deck / veranda. The engineer requires the stumps to be 1.2m deep.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2022, 08:29:55 AM »
Gympie I feel sorry for (traveston crossing dam isn’t looking too bad anymore hey?)

Traveston Dam was and still is a stupid idea. A shallow dam with high evaporation figure's, plus destroying some of the best dairy farming area in the State.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2022, 08:37:43 AM »
Gympie I feel sorry for (traveston crossing dam isn’t looking too bad anymore hey?)

Traveston Dam was and still is a stupid idea. A shallow dam with high evaporation figure's, plus destroying some of the best dairy farming area in the State.

Foo

another decision by that bloke behind a desk with computer generated simulations?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
another decision by that bloke behind a desk with computer generated simulations?
Yep.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.