Author Topic: Fridge or Fridge/Freezer?  (Read 10746 times)

Offline AaronJ

• Swag User
    • Aquatica Environmental
Fridge or Fridge/Freezer?
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
I assumed this would have come up already, but could not find the answer searching.

I'm about to buy my first fridge/freezer for my first camper (2010 Xtrail Xplorer).

I am going an Engel as (1) I know someone that knows someone and can get a great deal and (2) coincidentally the camper is set up for a 60L Engel with slide and power.

What I wanted to ask for feedback on is what would most recommend I go... just a fridge, or, a fridge/freezer?

Cheers,
AJ
2010 Xtrail Xplorer Offroad
2013 Ford Ranger XLT with a 'bit' of ARB gear

Offline gunny

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Fridge or Fridge/Freezer?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Hi Aaron.

I have the Waeco 80l fridge only. I have a few friends with the fridge freezer version and they seem to use a lot more power than me. I have never really wished that I had the freezer so I guess its what is important to you to take away.

Engel 60l fridge's are an amazing bit of gear. ;D

Offline gunny

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »
Hi Aaron.

I have the Waeco 80l fridge only. I have a few friends with the fridge freezer version and they seem to use a lot more power than me. I have never really wished that I had the freezer so I guess its what is important to you to take away.

Engel 60l fridge's are an amazing bit of gear. ;D

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
I have the engel 60 fridge freezer dual zone. Great bit of kit.
If you can afford the dual zone then its worth while.
On the flip side, we bought ours as our last fridge was stolen as was in desperate need at the time. With how we will be setting up next time I will be going to two 40L fridges as the 60 is a bit big for when its just myself.
(if you want a good deal let me know lol)
The plan is to go with two engels though, they are a dam good bit of kit.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Whilst I have an Evakool fridge/freezer, I only use it as a large fridge.  Draws less power.  I cryovac/vacuum pack all my meat so it will last for weeks in a fridge.

KB

Offline gunny

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
I agree with KingBilly.

We cryovac all our meat and that leaves plenty of room the beer. :cheers:

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Whilst you will have a fridge for years realistically how many trips will you do where you need a freezer. Mostly you will pass shops for fresh meat or vacuum seal it before you leave home.

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
i like my dual zone (waeco 80dz)
more often use it as a full freezer

one thing i have learned recently is that most dual zone units only have cooling tubes at the freezer end. this can make the fridge temps a bit hot which i did notice on my last trip

:cheers:
Ads
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
We run two 40L Engels only because we do a lot of day trips or short trips where one fridge is enough. But for our longer trips we throw the 2nd Engel in and we are set. Having 2 x 40L probably draws a little more power than a single 80L, but that’s something I can live with.

Only real time I wished I had a freezer is when up the beach camping for 7 to 10 days and the fish are on from day one and I want to freeze the fillets to bring home.  We try and keep one fridge for drinks and the other for food which isn’t opened as much, then if all the meat is put in the food fridge frozen we find it’s still semi frozen 4 days later. But I have friends with a Fridge/Freezer and the kids do enjoy eating ice blocks on hot summer days.

While I love my Engels and over the past 10 years they been abused and knocked around in the back of the car and haven’t missed a beat, but they aren’t they quietest fridge on the market and it’s not something I would like under my bed at night. 

Offline Dueller

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »
Hey mate,
We have a fridge in the tug and camper. We use the one in the car as a freezer and the one (larger of the two) in the camper as the daily fridge. The larger one in the camper is an Evakool fridge/ freeze but we have never needed to use that function. I think it would depend what your needs will be if you decide to go on long trips and want to be more self sufficient and have your food stores last the distance.

Cheers,
Matt
My Customline Off Road Tracker Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38826.0

LC76 Series build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=42595.msg709322#msg709322

Offline Gunsrunner

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
We have a 60l engel fridge (3c) only in the camper, but we also have a 92l DZ primus fridge/freezer (3c/-16c) split door in the back of the tug.
The 92l is a bit big but has the same foot print as the 65l so no more floor space than the smaller one and it means we have heaps of space even if we don't take the camper.
We have never run out of fridge/freezer space lol ;D
The Primus and ones like it work differently to the Engel DZ'z in that it has the same amount of cooling lines in both sides, but uses a gas valve to divert the cold gas to the area when it's needed. Both sides are digitally temperature controlled A much better way of doing it , which I find works very well. You can also only run one side and turn the other side off if you want.
We use the F/F in the tug as the bar and freezer, drinks, mixers, ice and frozen foods. Ice cream is a bonus :cup:
In the camper fridge is milk, juices, veggies and other foods.
The freezer in the tug does cycle more but i find with 270Ah's of battery a 120w panel and bush bashing for a few hours most days the batteries stay topped up.
The fridge in the camper cycles a lot less, so the 210Ah's and a 160w panel the batteries last for ever.
We also carry a Honda Eu20i and 15amp/5amp(tug) 40amp(CT) chargers during winter or for shady spots long term.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:53:04 PM by Gunsrunner »
2014 NW VRX Pajero 3.2did
2012 Redtrack series 1 RF
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
Whilst you will have a fridge for years realistically how many trips will you do where you need a freezer. Mostly you will pass shops for fresh meat or vacuum seal it before you leave home.

Agree. Unless there are some special requirements, a freezer is not really necessary.

Just about any butcher will cryovac for you.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
As per Gunsrunner I have a 92L dual-zone Primus as well.  Which I am finding a bit of a hassle to get stuff in and out of due to the height .. but that's a separate story.

We sometimes run it as a fridge and freezer, sometimes just fridge.  With the freezer it helps keep things like fishing bait 100% frozen until you need it, and lets us take frozen vegies which is often the easiest thing to grab.  Also frozen chips if we are setup for deep-frying while camping, and just frozen fish fingers or chicken 'tenders' or whatever. 

But we do tend to find the freezer is under-used most of the time so I sometimes just go 100% fridge and deal with the lack of freezer. 

Basically it is nice to be able to use it as fridge OR fridge+freezer. 

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:39:25 PM »
We have a 60l Trailblaza in the 80 and an ARB 47l in the Cub. 
We have found it is all in how they are packed as to what stays frozen and what is kept cold. 
By using thick corrugated cardboard to pick the bottom frozen and the top will stay cold. 
Just can't justify spending the extra on a separate fridge/freezer when one will do.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
As I have an Engel 40L, and if I was looking to expand I would get the new 40L Engel fridge freezer. This has a multitude of options of two fridges, one fridge and an equally sized freezer or less freezer and more fridge.
Regards
Angus.
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
I have the Engel 57L dual zone, and while it has been a great fridge/freezer, in hind sight I would go for two 40L units - one as a fridge, the other as a freezer.  The 57L is big and bulky to move around, the two smaller ones would be much better.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »
Trailblaza for me! However the 57 litre  Engel fridge freezer was a good unit. Its now gone to a good home. :cheers:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
........The 57L is big and bulky to move around, the two smaller ones would be much better.

Perhaps you need to beef up a bit Symon.......oh, hang on...... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »
While my Engel is only 40l I've got it down pat so frozen stuff goes on the bottom & drinkies etc on top. I've found that on a setting of 2.5 things stay as they are and, as mentioned, vacuum packing does negate the need for a freezer most of the time. The number of times I may have needed a freezer doesn't warrant the expense for me.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

RWW

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
We thought about this recently as well and ended up buying a fridge (not a dual zone. but can be changed to freezer mode). The reason we did this was we really though about how much frozen stuff we would take on an average trip, and this can easily be fit into a small esky with dry ice, or as others mentioned vacuum sealed.

Offline ripas

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
A bit off topic but seeing people mentioned cryovac's I'm curious how long sealed fresh meats last when vaccuumm sealed?

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
We have the bushman. it is a fridge freezer sort of.

You turn the temp down and the bottom half is a freezer and the top is a fridge.

It has a good basket set up which helps
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »
How many people?
What ages?
What sort of camping?

Come along to the swap meet and look :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GROB

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »
We run 2 60lt evacools both are fridge /freezer , we can have all fridge or all freezer or both ,love the freezer got to have ice blocks for the scotch ,mind you we are on a working lap around OZ with no time limit ,so we can be weeks or months one spot either working or camping
2010 d22 navara & jimboomba explorer

Offline Big Tread

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
X2 on the bushman
-----------------------------------------
2007 VX Prado
Tambo Omeo