Author Topic: Help finding suitable off road caravan  (Read 16331 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Help finding suitable off road caravan
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »
I know another forum member who has taken his Expanda to the cape. Our first Expanda has done the lap twice and up through the centre. Somewhere online there's is an article where they take a brand new stock Expanda across the GRR and I think break one water fitting!!!

The Jayco outback chassis is about as tough as they come, true the odd cabinet screw may come out but I haven't seen or heard of any catastrophic failures in them.

Jury is still out on the independant system, but having had a good look at it it looks substantial and repairable which I like.

Driven to the conditions I think they will go anywhere you want or should  take a 2+ tonne trailer.

That's not taking anything away from the other builders of fine vans, but there is no reason if you are reasonable that a Jayco won't do what you want.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
I have an Expanda OB and we are extremely happy with it and it has handled everything we have asked if it..

Here is another option though http://zonerv.com.au/

Hmmm. Now that's got me thinking......might have to get in touch with them.
Flat pack diy caravan hey?

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
Hmmm. Now that's got me thinking......might have to get in touch with them.
Flat pack diy caravan hey?

It appears that way, interesting idea. I was shown this the other day and it looked like a whole new approach for customers.
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline 1tuff1hdft

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
A small update on the hunt for the right van...

We went back to jayco and quiet liked the layout of the Starcraft 17.58-3

But Jayco would not make the changes we wanted to seal the deal. The down sides to this model is there is limited storage and no front boot for storing bits and pieces.

We then looked at a couple of Supreme and Roadstar vans but they are timber framed which put me off them.

We recently looked at a couple coromal pop tops which are Alloy framed and are considering buying a 10 year old van and refitting it out to the layout we want which is very similar to the jayco 17.58-3 but slightly more space and storage with a front boot.

The Coromal Seka 600 seems to fit the best with the door being in the right position to have a queen bed at the front. Prices seem to be from around 20k which would allow a decent amount to fully refit the interior to accommodate the bunk beds toilet/shower and front bed. The suspension and chassis would also need to be beefed up to make it tough enough for off road and dual wheels on the back.

Got a bit more time to think about this as we have our second child due in the next 2-3 weeks so will be tied up with plenty of sleepless nights.

Regards,
Brendan
2006 100 Series Turbo diesel Sahara