Author Topic: Advice and info on Outback Sturt camper  (Read 6790 times)

Offline 4.2_simo

• Sleeping Bag User
Advice and info on Outback Sturt camper
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
Hi,
We are currently looking to sell our Jayco Flamingo and buy a camper, and I have likes the Outback Sturt's for a long while now.

We have seen a second hand one for sale at a good price, but it is a 2001 model with next to no usage. What u would like info on is have the Sturts changed much in 12 years? The tent looks the same, but the owner who hasn't responded to me yet is advertising it to be 168mm wide where I thought the Sturts were 1850mm wide? We are looking at it for 2 adult and 2 kids so every mm counts :)

Also, have the trailers changed much in that time?

Aside from being in near new cond, it will need annex walls and a side bedroom access door added, but I'm sure Outback Campers will be able to help out in that respect.

Thanks!

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Advice and info on Outback Sturt camper
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
The 1680mm wide model is the Canning.  We used to have a 96 model Canning, same as the Sturt but narrower, lighter, no brakes, shorter drawbar and a smaller toolbox.  Although ours had a Sturt toolbox fitted.  It's targeted at smaller 4wd's.

We looked at getting another, but I'd personally try to find a Sturt, the extra width for storage and kitchen would be handy.
The older ones had a chipboard constructed kitchen, while the newer ones have an ali checker plate one.  Other than that and a gas strut assisted tent lift they are largely unchanged.

We looked at geting another one last year (ended up buying a Jayco) and priced the side bedroom from Outback, $1,650 to retro fit one.  I'd rather spend that money on an Oztent.

They are a no bullShit, forget the bells and whistles bullet proof camper with a high quality aussie canvas tent.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
The older ones had a chipboard constructed kitchen, while the newer ones have an ali checker plate one.  Other than that and a gas strut assisted tent lift they are largely unchanged.

We looked at geting another one last year (ended up buying a Jayco) and priced the side bedroom from Outback, $1,650 to retro fit one.  I'd rather spend that money on an Oztent.

They are a no bull****, forget the bells and whistles bullet proof camper with a high quality aussie canvas tent.
I thought the older kitchens were plywood.
I am not sure if you can retro fit the side bedroom to all sturt. I had it done to mine but when I rang them they asked what year it was, almost as if they could not do older ones.
yes it is $1650 to retro fit the beedroom and they will want the trailer for a week.

We love our Sturt and have done a few mods but esetentally it is the same.
If you have any other questions give me a yell or ask John at outback.

Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Advice and info on Outback Sturt camper
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
Outback Campers are well made.
As for getting them to make alterations, check other prices as well would be my advice. I don't feel they went out of their way to help with any of the things I wanted to do to my old camper.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline discosturt

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
hi guys i have an 01 sturt and a friend has a latter one( not shaw what year ) the only diffrence we can see is mine has wood kitchen & theres has alloy kitchen , all so as said earlier struts to help lift the tent. yes looking at them set up side by side you could swap the kitchens over no prop , and the struts do help but it not that bad with out them oh and the tent is a diffrent colour ! hope this helps. :cheers:

Offline dchaniel

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
has anyone with a sturt, had the extra room fitted and how does it attach? and in regards to the main tent internal floor space would you be able to fit a couple of strechers in there for the kids?

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »
has anyone with a sturt, had the extra room fitted and how does it attach? and in regards to the main tent internal floor space would you be able to fit a couple of strechers in there for the kids?

Yes we have had the kids room fitted to ours. It is fitted via a zip at the roof and then velco down the sides. It gives you space the same length as the floor on the ground (2.1m) and a width of 1.8m which is enough space for my kids stretchers.
It takes only a few moments to attach but takes some work to fold it up to get it into the bag it comes with. My Wife does that and has it mastered.
Depending on the age of your kids a separate tent or swag might be the go.
We like the extra room as it leaves the tent floor clear to move around and get things out of the trailer such as food tubs that stay out for the duration of the camp.
You can see the side room (the small bit out to the side) in the photo from above

Any more questions please ask.
Regards
Crispy

Offline dchaniel

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:46:27 PM »
Hi crispy my kids are between 3 & 7 so at the moment I'd rather have them in the tent. Thanks for the pic, do you have     Any of the inside of the tent & spare room?

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »
Hi crispy my kids are between 3 & 7 so at the moment I'd rather have them in the tent. Thanks for the pic, do you have     Any of the inside of the tent & spare room?
Sorry no pics from the inside. It is just a room space with one big window.
Like I said they are good for my kids and they are 12 & 14. They have no problems sharing this space. Also having the side bedroom allows space for clothing bags on the floor of the main tent.
Regards
Crispy