Author Topic: What size box ?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline bones

• Learning the Ropes
What size box ?
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
Hi

I have been trying to decide what size Ali tool box to put on front of trailer. I don't want to go to big or to small. What size do you have.

Bones

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What size box ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:01:32 AM »
It would depend on what size draw bar, you need to make sure you won't hit it when reversing.

Ours is 1400 long x 500 deep x 450 high.

We picked ours up from the guys below. They are very well made and never had any issues with dust or water.

http://4wdonline.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_36&products_id=156&zenid=5690a641e1a274da11bbc4a11935393b

LB
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
what do you want to put in it??
I had my toolbox designed to fit a 40ltr Engel if I wanted..

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:56:20 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
Hi Bones,

My advice - go one or two sizes bigger than you think (same as buying a TV). You'll fill it up, and find lots of spots for stuff.

We have the bigger-than-standard box on the front of ours, and it's wonderful. When we bought it I thought there's no way we could fill it. Now it holds the porta-potty, the tarps and canvas walls, normal pegs, sand pegs, ground sheets, kitchen bucket, mozzie coils, tie-down straps, tools (strange, I know), yadda yadda yadda. I'm thinking of installing some tie-downs so it can take the gennie as well. If I had my time again, I'd go the even bigger box, just to give a bit more flexibility.

Much easier and cheaper now to buy the bigger size (even if it's more $$$) than to upgrade later. Just cause you have it, doesn't mean you have to fill it.

Not sure on the dimensions of ours, but here's a photo:

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline bones

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
Thanks guys

The length of my draw bar is not a problem I made it longer when I built the trailer. I was thinking of putting power leads hoses and tools in there but I suppose it will end up full of other stuff to. Mattowhere did you get your box? Has anyone bought a toolbox in Perth that they have been happy with?

Bones

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
Bones,

Our box is a Diamond T : http://diamondtproducts.com/ . It came with the camper, so Trackabout supplied. No idea where you would get them in Perth, but I'm pretty sure Repco sell them. They're not cheap, but ours has been faultless so far - no leaks, no dust, all good.

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline 9775Andrew

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
tighter the better >:D
We're Grey Nomads in Training