Author Topic: OK, Now We Rock at cricket- What was I thinking :-)  (Read 512755 times)

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
Re: OK, Now We Rock at cricket- What was I thinking :-)
« Reply #725 on: December 09, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »
Agree. Selfish decision to play.
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #726 on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
I have to agree also when they were saying he wouldn't play I don't see how a couple more days was going to be enough when he has had so much trouble with it.  If he had waited till the next test then he might of stayed fit for longer.

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #727 on: December 09, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »
typical Clarke, he is selfish,
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #728 on: December 09, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Whilst I agree, I think you're being a bit harsh on Clarke in the current circumstance. He was going to play no matter what for Phil. Would you have denied him a spot if you were a selector?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #729 on: December 09, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
Whilst I agree, I think you're being a bit harsh on Clarke in the current circumstance. He was going to play no matter what for Phil. Would you have denied him a spot if you were a selector?
X2

And besides the bloke who was gonna replace him is unavailable

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #730 on: December 09, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »

I'm not a Clarke fan or hater, but knew he was always going to play. Even if he only had 1 leg. Plus he did make 60, which is more than Australia's best #3 made.....
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #731 on: December 09, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »

If you're not fit, then you shouldn't play, regardless of emotion. 

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #732 on: December 09, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
If you're not fit, then you shouldn't play, regardless of emotion.

I 100% agree, but the selectors would not. The whole aftermath of the Hughes death, Clarke was the front man. Despite what anyone thinks, the selectors were always going to play him because of what he had done after the death. Right, wrong or indifferent, it was always going to happen.

If it was me in Clarke's position, I would have wanted to play too, and probably would have lied about my fitness to do it. I would have been wrong, but I still would have done it.
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #733 on: December 09, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »
Not doubting the gesture, but still the wrong decision for the team and the series.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #734 on: December 09, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
Not doubting the gesture, but still the wrong decision for the team and the series.

Last time I checked he did make 60 today...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #735 on: December 09, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »

60 more than the keeper......

Poor finish to a great start of the day....

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #736 on: December 09, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »

but now he is possibly out for the game (possibly the series) because he came back too early...

no doubting the skill and the runs (which are welcome, considering our great number 3 covered himself in glory again), but needs to put the team first.

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #737 on: December 09, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
They were talking today on the radio about the eventual replacement for Rogers. But they didn't put up any names. Wonder would Rob Quiney get another chance? If Clarke is out I'd reckon Shaun Marsh will fill that spot.

First thing is first though, to get out of the hole they dug in the last session. Looks like a flat track that 600 would be chased down on.....

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #738 on: December 09, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »
It might be time to give Finch a go with Warner. It would be a risk to have two dashers at the top, but it might pay off. Rogers has done well but Test cricket has passed him by.

And what a skillful 14 by Watson. Worth a few more zeros on his next contract. Fair dinkum the guy is a spud.
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #739 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:51 PM »
It might be time to give Finch a go with Warner. It would be a risk to have two dashers at the top, but it might pay off. Rogers has done well but Test cricket has passed him by.

And what a skillful 14 by Watson. Worth a few more zeros on his next contract. Fair dinkum the guy is a spud.

Unfortunately for Finch there is one sure way to get him out, bowl a red ball at him! You'd be nervous with Warner and Finch at the top though coz you could be 2 or 3 for FA in a hurry.

Quiney did make 92 today. Ed Cowan made 140 odd also.

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #740 on: December 09, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »
It was clear before Phils tragedy that Clarke wanted to play the first test in Brisbane. Talk of him playing grade cricket and all then after Phil, Clarke and the selectors got sucked into the emotion of it all. IMO he put himself above the team, he could have honoured Phil Hughes a lot more by sitting this one out and getting himself right for Boxing Day.

With all the talent we have in this country we fill the side with old players that did something once. It's time to bring some youth into the team.

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #741 on: December 09, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Clarke shouldn't have retired... He should have played on until he got out. Retiring was a soft option...
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #742 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
It was clear before Phils tragedy that Clarke wanted to play the first test in Brisbane. Talk of him playing grade cricket and all then after Phil, Clarke and the selectors got sucked into the emotion of it all. IMO he put himself above the team, he could have honoured Phil Hughes a lot more by sitting this one out and getting himself right for Boxing Day.

I agree and no I would not deny him wanting to play for Phil and yes he put on some runs and more than others who I already think should not have a spot in the team, people say that is harsh you hate everyone in cricket but I don't I just want to see players get picked for what they have shown not get injured play no games and come back (this is at Watson not Clarke) my point was more that if he had of waited one more test no one would of thought he wasn't honouring Hughes and he still could of in the next game or in Melb.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #743 on: December 10, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »
Sorry but Clarke's injury prior to the game was a torn hamstring, which has recovered, he has hurt his back this time different injury / symptoms.  His back is dodgy, and will never be fine, so based on this he should not of played any tests as his back is always about to give out.   

But on a different note, please drop Watson, 2 singles in 30 odd balls.     That is not how a top order batsmen should play, bring back Usman at 3. 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #744 on: December 10, 2014, 05:45:47 AM »
I agree and no I would not deny him wanting to play for Phil and yes he put on some runs and more than others who I already think should not have a spot in the team, people say that is harsh you hate everyone in cricket but I don't I just want to see players get picked for what they have shown not get injured play no games and come back (this is at Watson not Clarke) my point was more that if he had of waited one more test no one would of thought he wasn't honouring Hughes and he still could of in the next game or in Melb.
I'm with you man but just don't think in a team game you can take someone in who is under injury cloud. His speeches and media statements over the last two weeks are all the evidence I needed that he was honouring Phillip not him striding out to bat.

Oh and don't get me started on Watson.........

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #745 on: December 10, 2014, 06:19:16 AM »
Sorry but Clarke's injury prior to the game was a torn hamstring, which has recovered, he has hurt his back this time different injury / symptoms.  His back is dodgy, and will never be fine, so based on this he should not of played any tests as his back is always about to give out.   

But on a different note, please drop Watson, 2 singles in 30 odd balls.     That is not how a top order batsmen should play, bring back Usman at 3.

lower back and hamstring go together.  he has had ongoing trouble with both.

totally agree with khawaja coming back into the side... :)

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #746 on: December 10, 2014, 06:24:56 AM »

totally agree with khawaja coming back into the side... :)

Khawaja to replace Watson, not a hope. Khawaja left NSW and Watson moved to NSW, so he has no hope!  >:D

Honestly, I'd be happy to see anyone. How about giving Alex Doolan another crack? Who ever it is only needs to make more than 14..... the way the commentators pump up Watson you would think he is netter than Bradman.....

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #747 on: December 10, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
Khawaja to replace Watson, not a hope. Khawaja left NSW and Watson moved to NSW, so he has no hope!  >:D

Honestly, I'd be happy to see anyone. How about giving Alex Doolan another crack? Who ever it is only needs to make more than 14..... the way the commentators pump up Watson you would think he is netter than Bradman.....

agreed.  happy to see khawaja, doolan or even ed cowan given another crack...

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #748 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »
agreed.  happy to see khawaja, doolan or even ed cowan given another crack...
But can they bowl?

Watson has an uncanny ability to take wickets that he probably has no right to & usually at crucial moments in a game.
I do agree though, he really has to start performing with the bat.

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #749 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
But can they bowl?

Watson has an uncanny ability to take wickets that he probably has no right to & usually at crucial moments in a game.
I do agree though, he really has to start performing with the bat.

australia already has an all-rounder in the team.  his name is mitchell johnson.  making him the all-rounder opens up all sorts of options.

if they must have a true all-rounder, faulkner would be an ideal replacement to allow khawaja, doolan or cowan to slot in at number 3...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:55:37 AM by paceman »