Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Bobscape

• Sleeping Bag User
Another newbie
« on: October 30, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
G'Day Myswagers,

after lurking around this forum for a little while, thought it was about time I joined. In summary, I'm a Grey Nomad with "L" plates looking for a hard floor off road camper for around $20k. My preference is an Ozzie build but its hard to ignore the Chineese imports that sit around that price point?  Anyway, always keen to get advice from those more experienced in this game.

KingBilly

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »
G'day and welcome to the forum.  Good luck in your search for a CT.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
Welcome to Myswag Bobscape.  I am sure you will get all the info required hear mate regarding different make trailers.
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum

Offline patroldude

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
Tvan mate, might be a few years old at that price point buy you will be able to take it anywhere and set up in 30 sec
2000 GU 4.2TD
227-RWHP 662-RWNM
UFI-20G, DC6 250 HP
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box 
2011 TVAN Murranji Mk111 ):

Offline powerd

• Sleeping Bag User
  • I think I have automotive ADHD!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
............but its hard to ignore the Chineese imports that sit around that price point?  Anyway, always keen to get advice from those more experienced in this game..............

Welcome Bobscape and good luck in your search.  My situation is similar to yours, although I have owned a basic camper for many years.

You may open a can of worms with your comment, though, as some people have strong opinions about imports and their chosen model!
Inform yourself, look around, go to shows to help work out your needs/interests, perhaps take knowledgeable (ie skilled, not necessarily brand/country of origin committed) friends with you if you can, do your homework here and elsewhere.

All I will say is that after extensive looking, I have ordered an MDC Cruizer forward fold for $20k, has almost everything I want.  Others might make a different choice, or perhaps not.

Good luck and enjoy getting out there.  It is a priceless experience.  After many years work travel, often staying in expensive hotels and apartments, I would prefer to sleep under a million stars than five!
I have never met a kilowatt I didn't love
In the driveway - '01 Jackaroo 3.5, '95, '11 Skoda Superb V6 AWD wagon, '01 Holden Astra and '11 Triumph Sprint GT. 
In repose, 1978 Jaguar XJS and 1974 Jaguar XJ6 w/ V8

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
Welcome Bobscape,

Do your homework and select the best fit for you.
Others are their opinions only, you have the cheque book, so what you feel comfortable with is what you will enjoy camping in. There are many happy campers kicking around in Knock off,s and Imports because they met the budget and got a lot for their money.

Rob

Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
Tvan mate, might be a few years old at that price point buy you will be able to take it anywhere and set up in 30 sec

I've been keeping my eyes open for an "older" Tvan too. Best price I've ever seen was $19.5k... 2001(2002?) model... in Darwin.

beyond that... I've spotted the occasional 2002 model for $23k. But the average seems to be around $27k currently.

I'm hoping that by the time they regularly crack the 20k mark that their legendary robustness will meant hey are still a good purchase...

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.