Author Topic: Starting out  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Lipstick nomad

• Learning the Ropes
Starting out
« on: May 03, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've just discovered this site after attending the Camping & Caravanning Super Show at Rose Hill - loved it.  Exchanging tips and learning from others experiences is my main interest for joining.

Lipstick Nomad is my wife's self-identification - refusing to compromise chic while thrilling at camping. We're in our sixties, recently retired and on a tight budget.

We have an old (mid 1980's) home-made, off-road camper trailer.  No frills. It was given to us in 2012 by an old friend whose dad, a  coach builder by trade, constructed it for his retirement adventures.  We did some renovations to the mesh and the floor, repainted the box, added electric brakes and a big toolbox. All up it owes us about $2,500. It's an 8x5 box with straight up and down sides and a drop down tail gate, six-stud Landcruiser wheels/tyres on a 45mm square axle.  It weighs 520kg (box, canvas, bed, spare wheel and gas bottle) before we load our camping junk and suitcase of lipsticks!!  The canvas is in pretty good nick and I have re-waterproofed it.  We've done several short getaways and one 6 week trip in 2013 to outback NSW, SA and Vic.  Although I get "the wants" for smart, modern rigs, we are generally well satisfied with our basic old camper - we like to feel we're camping, not in a hotel.  That said, there are some improvements which would not go astray and we're working through them on our limited budget.

Haven't  done any free camping yet but I'm keen to give it a go if I could convince my wife there are not nearly as many axe murderers out there as she is convinced there are - all waiting for her. Mostly we opt for unpowered sites to get clear of the caravan cities but we both love a good amenities block. 12v power is an issue. We've got a dodgy, old, barely efficient Coleman 12v cooler but will likely retire it in favour of an new 47L EvaKool Icebox -  most camp kitchens have freezer space to re-freeze your bricks/bottles/ice substitutes, leaving lighting as the only real need for power.  LED seems the way to go.  We're a bit over gas and endless broken mantles and glass.  The Engel 28Kw Battpack sounds impressive and cost effective at around $370 promising 300 to 400 re-charges. Does anyone have experience of them or similar products to recommend? Any tips on lighting and 12v power generally would be welcomed.

Our next big trip this winter will be to the Red Centre.  For organisational reasons we're going anti-clockwise from Armidale, NSW eventually to Mt Isa and then cross into the NT and down to Alice Springs, West McDonnell Ranges, Kings Canyon, Uluru, Olgas and south to Cober Pedy, Port Augusta then fairly quickly head for Sydney. We'd be grateful to hear from any members with tips on must see and must avoid and any other tips for this route.  It's unlikely her lipstick-ship will agree to straying too far from well worn routes.

Looking forward to getting right into the posts and info on this site.  Cheers.

KingBilly

Re: Starting out
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
Welcome to myswag.  Wow, a lot of questions for a first post  :D Try going to the home page and using the search function, do a bit of research, then post any further questions in the appropriate thread, e.g. LED lighting questions in the electrical thread.  You will get better responses.

As for your planned centre trip have a gander over here http://www.myswag.org/index.php?board=53.0 You may interested in joining the myswag group

Happy camping
KB

scarps

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
Welcome to myswag and congrats on a great first write up.  Sounds like you're organised and already rolling.

I too have a swmbo who likes the modern amenities, but slowly I've managed to show her we can camp in the bush and still be self sufficient.
Mind you I did have to fork out for a Drifta Kitchen and Truma Hot Water Service, but they're just our latest mods.

We started with some easy bush camping where there were Parks pit Toilets etc, but now we can pretty much camp anywhere and she can be reasonably comfy and feelk safe.  Speaking of which, haven't come across any axe murderers yet, but as peter01 says, be careful of strangers you meet on the internet.  We've camped with a few myswaggers now and while we lived to tell the tale, not so sure they're saying the same:-)

Swmbo also bought her own Dometic Toilet that she owns, uses, empties and cleans, so I'm happy about that.

Anyhoo, great to have you guys onboard, lipstick and all.

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »
welcome guy's...
Don't bother doing a search... just ask a question and D4D will point you in the direction you need to go... ;D
This guy is a wealth of knowledge as far as Myswag goes... if he can't find it... it aint here.  8)
(Just trying to give you a good pat on the back D4D)  :cheers:

I'm back in the cnr :angel:

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »
Welcome aboard. Great forum this, just make sure you have a sense of humour.  >:D

Tell the wife that there are no axe murderers out there any more. They have all progressed to chainsaws.  :laugh: :laugh:  And they love lippy.

TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Brett B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • just cruzin
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »
Welcome to myswag  ;D
97 80 series and home made ct

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
Welcome to the Forum

GG

Offline DropBearRacing

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
welcome to the forum  :cheers:
The Bear made me do it!!

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »
Yep, interesting Forum, good luck with  your queries.
It's easy to make your way around.
Give it a go.  You'll be more than happy.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:33 PM »
Welcome!
For the cost of that battery pack - or not much more anyway - you could have a proper 12 volt battery management system with a deep cycle battery.
Have a look around the electrical thread before committing to anything.
And remember, there will be any number of 'swaggers' who would be more than happy to give you assistance setting up an electrical system.
Also, would love to see some photos of your camper and tug.   :cheers:
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum great to have your company :cheers:

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 10:46:17 PM »
Welcome yo the site.

Tell your wife I would be more worried about axe murderers at a caravan park more then free camping. ;)
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
Welcome and great to hear you are having a go. The cost or age of your camper will not be an issue here. It's pretty much a "one size fits all" forum and we love reading travel stories.

I am amazed that you haven't been hit with  :worthles:  yet   ;D

I agree with the comments about setting up your own 12v system too and the benefit of d.i.y is you will probably learn enough to fault find and complete more add-ons as the budget permits. That's one "ailment" just about every camper owner suffers here - it has only recently been clinically diagnosed as "ADD-ONITIS" 

Enjoy
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline Lipstick nomad

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »
What a welcome!  Feel like I've found a new family.  Cracked a smile at replies on the axe murderer issue and appreciated the tips on chasing advice around this site. Thank you all. ;D  Have been laid up with back trouble since my first post, hence the long delay.  I'll post a pic of our old camper set up as soon as  my back lets me lift things again I and figure out the technical mysteries of camera to computer  >:(

While I've been out of action Her Lipstickship has turned the compass from west to north so the Red Centre trip has given way to heading for the Daintree, Atherton etc.  Thinking of going up via inland routes taking in Carnarvon Gorge and back south along the coast, kicking off in late July.  Now to get serious about becoming proficient on this wonderful site   :D

Offline Armadillo & Customline Campers

• Tent User
  • Aussie Made, Aussie Owned, Aussie Tough.
    • Customline Camper Trailers
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:24 AM »
Welcome Lipstick nomad,

It is a great site here and we do love to see pics of your adventures.

If you are looking for 12V led lights, I would recommend these guys: korrlighting.com.au

:cheers:

Rod..............
www.customline.com.au
Rod@customline.com.au
www.armadillocampers.com.au
https://scontent-a-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10479144_653750608056996_765917182289645688_o.jpg

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,

The Engel 28Kw Battpack sounds impressive and cost effective at around $370 promising 300 to 400 re-charges. Does anyone have experience of them or similar products to recommend? Any tips on lighting and 12v power generally would be welcomed.

Cant comment on the Engel pack however we got a Waeco Raps 36 pack thrown in when we bought our Waeco CF60.

I have found it very good for what it is particularly as you can take it with you easily to power your fridge or camp lights or whatever.  It is an expensive option on a AH per $ outlay but for their role they are good.  Ours is going on 7yrs and no noticeable drop in service though I haven't tested it.

good luck
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Reddirtroaming

• Tent User
  • You can't rush something you want to last forever
    • Red Dirt Roaming
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:47 PM »
Welcome! It sounds like you have some amazing adventures planned, you just have to get into it & give it a go, you will soon start to work out what sort of camping suits you both. Caravan parks are certainly not all they are cracked up to be, your wife will soon discover this & hopefully let you camp a bit more remote!
Check out our adventures on our blog http://reddirtroaming.blogspot.com.au