Author Topic: Another Newbe  (Read 6066 times)

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
Another Newbe
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:46 PM »
Hi everyone,
Greetings from Sydney's Northern Beaches where there is just as cold as anywhere else at the moment  :D

Currently awaiting delivery of our first ever camper trailer. My dealer promises end of October, so fingers crossed. While we have been keen offroaders since 1994, I have never towed anything in my life, so I am up for some testing times, I know... :D

Looking forward to getting some good advice and drawing from your collective experience.

Cheers
Peter

2012 KK, 2003 100 series TD

Offline Janbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Jayco Eagle - Jeep Cherokee KK
Re: Another Newbe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
Welcome, I hope you enjoy the forums... There is so much to learn!!
We are all in the gutter....... But some of us are looking at the stars!!

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »
Welcome.

Plenty of members down your way to hook up with when the camper arrives.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
Welcome Peter, hope you enjoy the forum, what type of camper are you getting and what are you towing it with.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »
Welcome to myswag Peter, what camper did you buy?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter, love the northern beaches of Sydney  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
Welcome to myswag Peter, what camper did you buy?

Thanks for kind words everyone, can't wait for our new baby... Anyway, after exhaustive research and many shows all over the country (any excuse to get away...), we decided on Kimberley Kamper. It wasn't easy to decide between KK and Odyssey, but after some careful thinking KK got the nod.

The tow vehicle is 2003 100 series turbo diesel manual. Had it since new, initially as a company vehicle and now privately owned since retiring in 07. I hear auto does a better job when towing, but I will need to live with that. I will be doing all modifications for towing this Friday - Anderson plug, change of the power plug to round and installation of the brake controller, all as per instructions from Kimberley.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Great vehicle for towing, loads of torque, great camper also, might want to look at airbags or heavy duty springs for the back also.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »
Did that at the beginning during usual "conversion" to off road use (bull bar, snorkel, winch etc) Got a pair of heavy duty Lovells at the back with Bilstein shocks. KK has 120kg ball weight, but I expect the car's cargo area to be lighter by hopefully similar weight (jerry cans, generator, fridge etc all go to the camper) Also, our 60kg rooftop tent will be in the garage on the next trip. Now this may not be such a simple calculation, but that just shows how little I know at this stage  :D

I'll suggest air bags to my mechanic on Friday and hear what he has to say. I hope I'll be OK, spending enough on this toy already... :'(

Offline Prado BB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »
welcme PeterO, would love to see some pictures, you can start with the cruiser ;D ;D
 :cheers:
Cheers Andy

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way, that you look forward to the journey.

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Here is how we travelled till now... (French Line near Colson Track junction) At our age it has become too many trips down the ladder during the night, so we decided to go camper trailer. ;D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
That's a great looking setup, what brand of roof top tent is that?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
It's Italian Autohome. Very quick (under 30 sec) to put up. Short on privacy though, unlike local brands it does not offer annex rooms or something like that where you could change in relative comfort. But it is light, aerodynamic, and zero maintenance unit, it has done an awesome job for us until now.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Peter, that will be a great combo to get out and about, keep us updated on your travels

GG

Offline Signature035

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The older I get...... the better I was
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
Welcolme to Myswag Peter,
From just a few beaches down the road.....  :cup:
Rob
2012 Prado D4D Altitude &
04 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »
Welcome Peter,

Another KK owner - WooHoo!  ;D  I've replied to your questions in my thread - but I'll add, to agree with Baz, airbags may be needed. I've also got a 100 series with Lovell/Bilstein HD combination - the poor old girl's behind sags by about 3" now...might be time for new springs although I think airbags may be the better alternative for when not towing.....anyway - enjoy this site and your new kamper...and don't forget photos of the new toy, trips and modifications.

All the best,

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum Peter, nice looking setup you had. Will be waiting to for the pics of the new setup. 8)
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter,

I had a couple of reservations about towing (like you) but with advancing years the idea of tent (floor level camping) got the better of me.  I've found that no matter where I go my camper follows and is no harder than previous travel.  I don't know about the type of camper that you've bought (mines a Tambo) but where ever I point the Paj I know the trailer will follow without any discernable difference.
regards

Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
Mark,
I started going off road in 1994, purchased my first 4WD (Nissan patrol GQ LWB diesel, what a car!) in 1995 and never looked back. By now there are only few major destinations that I haven't done, the most notable being the mighty Canning. I always looked at towing as a limitation of my ability to get anywhere I wanted. I believe this still applies. There are some tracks out there that are simply not for trailers (Vic High Country comes to mind >:D). IMHO the promo from Ultimate Campers claiming that the only limit that can be applied to their campers is that of the driver's and towing vehicle's ability is just nonsense. But today I no longer go extreme and I can safely say that the only limitation for me to get anywhere with the trailer is my lack of experience with towing. I am happy to trade "extreme" for comfort, that's what happens on the other side of 55... ;D And let's face it, Simpson or CSR are extreme enough for most of us and you _CAN_ do them with a trailer.

I know I need to practise a lot - reversing down from failed attempt at the sand dune without jack knifing, thinking ahead about being able to turn around if I need to, reverse parking etc etc. Scary stuff, but I am keen and looking forward to it. I am giving myself 6 months to train and then will be looking for some victims to go and do the Canning with us. FINALLY!!

Here is our crossing of Jardine in 1995 - pic taken my my mate who was already on the other side.

Cheers
Peter

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »

Peter,

You'll be allright,  towing is easy and as you say, 'if you're not going extreme then everything will be fine'. Yep for sure if you want to go extreme then you had better make sure you're set up for it (the extra dead weight that is), but if you get yourself a good, built for purpose, camper then you will really have a lot less limitations than your mind can currently conjure up.  The best (camping)decision I ever made was to get my Tambo as it has allowed me to get out more often in far more comfort than I could have previously considered.

I hope you soon become a convert!

All the best

Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline PeterO

• Tent User
    • fotoDomain.com
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
Me too Mark, waiting for the delivery... My KK should be here end of October, can't wait!
Cheers,
Peter

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
Hi PeterO and welcome To My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback