Author Topic: Hello from Ipswich  (Read 4226 times)

Offline tbau

• Learning the Ropes
Hello from Ipswich
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:52:14 PM »
Hi everyone!

New member, long time reader. I've already lost hours pouring over everyone's setups here and there's certainly a lot to aspire to!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through getting a camper trailer setup and getting down to the last few decisions.

I bought a 2nd hand tent and frame (Austrack) off a friend and then bought an aluminium trailer to help keep everything light. Only have a Forester / Outlander at present to tow, so the aim is to keep things simple (for now).

A few quick pics:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
(Annex isn't setup / tent isn't pegged out)

Trailer isn't specifically for a camper but it already had a swinging tailgate etc to make it suitable. The aim is to have it as dual use, ie easily remove the tent and then have it as a simple trailer.

Not sure if the intro thread is the best spot or not but the next part to mod / fit is the stabiliser legs. Having never owned a camper before, I'm not sure what's best. I had it on some car stands to stabilise the rear to test and this seemed quite stable. Thinking of a similar system with drop in / drop down legs instead of the winding ones purely for simplicity, there's a 50mm RHS bar at the rear which I could slide them into.

Other than that, taking it for a quick overnighter next week and booked in at Evans Head for the first week of the September school holidays! Thanks in advance for the advice and tips, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions :)

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hello from Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:19:24 AM »
G'day and welcome tabu.
I'm looking forward to the camper build mate. :cup:

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
Welcome to myswag.

Look forward to seeing your finished CT.  As for stabiliser legs, what you are proposing will work.  That is how most of the earlier CTs were set up.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
Welcome Tbau,
Great way to start out,
enjoy your camping.

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
Welcome!
Mmmm shiny trailer  - nice.
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

CokeBottle

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:57:16 PM »
Hello from another newbie

Dave

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
G'day Tbau and welcome
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, hope the first outing went well and the trailer is evolving

GG

Offline tbau

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Just thought I'd post a bit of a follow-up, first week-long trip went well. Still didn't do anything about better stabilisers yet, but being on a slab meant it worked well just with the car stands. Added a basic pole holder to the front but left room to mount a toolbox. Lighting and power is half sorted, prototyped some bits while I was out and will be modding a few more bits before the next trip. Setting it up so that it's easy to use on a powered site or completely off-grid once I get the solar side of things sorted.

Here's a few pics:

Packing up, loads of extra space above the tent for tables, kids scooters and similar. I could still lift the front with one hand, so the ball weight wasn't excessive. Most of the heavy items I positioned over the axle, which worked well.

Just about to hit the road. Roughly 250km each way and the Outlander (2.4L petrol) averaged 12.2L/100km. Didn't struggle at any stage, despite having a full 100L esky plus Weber, 9kg gas cylinder and everything else known to man... Having an all aluminium trailer certainly helped here, it was down below 11L on the flats too.

Initial setup, on an ensuite site to keep the kids and wife happy. Worth the little extra for the peace :)

Added the fly before the rain hit, just a simple drape over the top rather than sitting higher above. Didn't end up using a spreader bar this time, nor all the poles.

Back with a head full of ideas and bits to mod before next time, but overall very happy with the setup!

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »
Where are you camping?   Look to be nice big sites...
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline tbau

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »
That was at Evans Head in NSW, great spot. There's over 600 sites at the caravan park and the sites do vary in size. If you tell them what size site you need or what you're in, they'll book a spot to suit. That was one of the bigger ensuite sites, and it was about 10mx8m from memory.
The following users thanked this post: McTavish