Author Topic: Which canvas for a tropical roof and 270 awning walls?  (Read 2196 times)

Offline mike.c

• Sleeping Bag User
Which canvas for a tropical roof and 270 awning walls?
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:08:25 AM »
We are replacing the tropical roof and awnings on our soft floor Metalian Maxi with a new design which hopefully will reduce setup and and pack up times.

The final part of the puzzle is the choice of canvas, however without knowing anything about fabric technology or much practical experience with different types of canvas which I suspect is not an unusual problem I am not sure which product to use.

So two application questions.

First up a tropical roof. Currently the recommendation is to use Wax Converters Billabong which is 370gsm dynaproofed canvas, but I spoke to a "mate" in the industry yesterday and he suggested using the lighter 275gsm Coolibah.

For the record the product page is here: http://www.waxcon.com.au/dynaproofed-outback-rugged-canvas-tents.htm

It seems to me that a lighter roof will have some advantages, particularly for ease of pack up. What I am not sure of is the relative performance or wear differences between them. They both have the same water resistance (750mm hydrostatic head), but have vastly different breaking force specs. Question is what does that mean if anything in a practical sense?

Next part of the upgrade is awning walls We have replaced the hugely cumbersome zip on pole supported awnings with a Bundutec three sided fold out awning that covers the kitchen and creates quite a large living area. The plan is to be able to enclose this on three sides with add on walls that attach via a 50mm velcro strip for privacy and weather protection.

The current recommendation is Canvacon from Gale Pacific: https://www.galecommercial.com/en_ap/product/canvacon

This is a very light polyethylene material used for among other things dam liners (!). On the one hand I suspect walls made from this will pack down into a smaller space, and they will defiinitely be light and also allow quite a bit of light into the living space as well as being easy to care for. However being synthetic will be very susceptible to heat be it from direct contact with a camp oven or flying embers (hmmmmm already seems like a bad idea). I am also wondering if it would be noisy in a breeze?

The alternative I am leaning towards is the Coolibah from Wax Converters, but the trade of is price (lots) and more care required to prevent mildew and other issues associated with natural fabric.

What say the brains trust on these two applications?

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Which canvas for a tropical roof and 270 awning walls?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:43:35 AM »
They both have the same water resistance (750mm hydrostatic head), but have vastly different breaking force specs. Question is what does that mean if anything in a practical sense?

I don't know for certain but I'd think that it would really only matter if your roof got hit by a branch or similar ??? The "stronger" material should resist better, when the lighter may tear ???

This is a very light polyethylene material used for among other things dam liners (!). On the one hand I suspect walls made from this will pack down into a smaller space, and they will defiinitely be light and also allow quite a bit of light into the living space as well as being easy to care for. However being synthetic will be very susceptible to heat be it from direct contact with a camp oven or flying embers (hmmmmm already seems like a bad idea). I am also wondering if it would be noisy in a breeze?

Once again, I don't know but I'd think it would be pretty warm inside, which could be good or bad, depending on where you're camping! If it is a fire risk, then that would be a big No!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline mike.c

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »
I'd not thought about the PE walls making it hotter than canvas, something more to consider - thanks Fizzie.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
The Canvas walls/roof on my Tvan, are 8 oz. canvas, as well as the annexe roof and walls.

Biggest difference was getting a tropical roof over the tent section that gets erected out the back.
That reduced the interior temps. of the Tvan. noticeably from what they were without the extra canvas.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
Have you thought about ready made gazebo/awning walls? Might be a cheaper option depending on what exactly you are after.

Offline mike.c

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 06:28:40 PM »
Unfortunately the design requires a custom shape as I am using the awning walls as guy ropes and they need to be tapered and standard ones are straight.

Good thought though  :cheers:

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
Hey mate,
I would steer away from the canvacon, great product but is does not like being folded up repeatedly.

Not sure on your budget, look into Serge Ferrari pvc. Stamoid 3933 is a great product, strong, light, folds away smaller than other pvcs. Can pack away wet for extended periods with no worries.

:cheers:

Offline mike.c

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
Walls were done yesterday, tropical roof is next Monday.

In the end I went with Wax Converters Billabong for the roof and the lighter Coolibah for the walls. The walls seem OK but time will tell.

Thanks for the tip about Canvacon. What swayed me most away from it was the melting speed from a heat source. We did a quick test with a lit cigarette on a sample and the speed that it melted was enough to make me think no way with a camp fire anyware nearby.

The Stamoid product looks to be a ripper, It's too late now but it would be a top contender as the wax converteres stuff while excellent for what it is is not a particularly "technically endowned" fabric.

I'll update the thread as we learn more about the performance of the fabrics.