Author Topic: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD  (Read 49705 times)

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Re: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
And about time.  Get all the illegal idiots off the road.  Will be a safer place for my family.

KB

Careful KB , forum members may think that you wear a blue uniform .

I have a suspension lift , body lift and run on 33's . Drives better and handles better than standard .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 06:31:19 AM »
My argument is, which  :police: officer is qualified to ascertain that the modification I have on my vehicle is illegal ??? ???

My patrol is modified........... 2.5" lift, 33" tyres and blue plated for GVM increase, Seat reduction and 4 door ute conversion.

Now, the way my limited knowledge of the issue is, "unqualified" Mr plod looks at my vehicle and deems it unsafe and issues me with a yellow sticker and that I have X amount of time to rectify and present back to said "unqualified" Mr plod to ensure the rectification has taken place (if minor).
I have no idea if there is a cost involved in the removal of the canary if you take it to the DOT inspection points, but I would assume there is, which to me seems to be revenue raising.

How and why is Mr plod "Qualified" to inspect a vehicle for defects and  "deem it" to be unsafe without formal qualifications???
I'm not talking about bald tyres or a blown indicator globe, but suspension lift, tyre size, and the engineered modifications which seem to be targeted at the moment.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »

Careful KB , forum members may think that you wear a blue uniform .

I have a suspension lift , body lift and run on 33's . Drives better and handles better than standard .

Unless yours is illegal Duggie he wasn't referring to you....I agree with him.  The number of monstrosities racing up to the Cape each year is crazy.  Cops are not mechanics ...they obviously see thousands of vehicles each day and like most of us know when something sticks out as above the norm.  They may issue a ticket and refer you to a mechanical inspection.  They are only doing a job that has the potential to save lives.i.e....get illegal modded vehicles off the road. Mine has a 40mm lift and thousands of dollars of accessories but nothing illegal and handles bitumen and off road with ease.  :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:33 AM »
My argument is, which  :police: officer is qualified to ascertain that the modification I have on my vehicle is illegal ??? ???

My patrol is modified........... 2.5" lift, 33" tyres and blue plated for GVM increase, Seat reduction and 4 door ute conversion.

Now, the way my limited knowledge of the issue is, "unqualified" Mr plod looks at my vehicle and deems it unsafe and issues me with a yellow sticker and that I have X amount of time to rectify and present back to said "unqualified" Mr plod to ensure the rectification has taken place (if minor).
I have no idea if there is a cost involved in the removal of the canary if you take it to the DOT inspection points, but I would assume there is, which to me seems to be revenue raising.

How and why is Mr plod "Qualified" to inspect a vehicle for defects and  "deem it" to be unsafe without formal qualifications???
I'm not talking about bald tyres or a blown indicator globe, but suspension lift, tyre size, and the engineered modifications which seem to be targeted at the moment.

It's not really that tricky, ie is the vehicle lifted more than 50mm, if yes has it been engineered and have a compliance plate? Yes then you are fine, no, you get a fine and have to rectify the issue.
They don't need any special qualifications, just need to understand the codes and how they apply.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »
It's not really that tricky, ie is the vehicle lifted more than 50mm, if yes has it been engineered and have a compliance plate? Yes then you are fine, no, you get a fine and have to rectify the issue.
They don't need any special qualifications, just need to understand the codes and how they apply.

So with that logic, I know how to switch a light on, does that make me qualified enough to rewire your house??
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »

So with that logic, I know how to switch a light on, does that make me qualified enough to rewire your house??

No...but you will then refer the wiring to an expert.  Thats what the cops do.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:19 AM »
No it doesn't. But if you flick the switch and it doesn't come on, then you are smart enough to know something is wrong.

The police are not certifying the mods. They are only identifying what does not comply. If you want to go outside the accepted mods you would need approval.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
No it doesn't. But if you flick the switch and it doesn't come on, then you are smart enough to know something is wrong.

The police are not certifying the mods. They are only identifying what does not comply. If you want to go outside the accepted mods you would need approval.

Yes, but what "training" has the officer done to "identify" the mods......looked at pictures, had a 1hr course?? That makes him/her "qualified" to issue an infringement based on what, his/her lack of knowledge??

I'm all for getting rid of the unsafe vehicles, but other than a visual check, the plods have no formal quals in this field.

A long time ago and on a previous vehicle, I was told that my winch hook fastened under the vehicle to my tow point was illegal as it protruded "below" the bullbar..........you consider that qualified!!!!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »
From the little I know, In QLD So long as you have your Blue is plate fixed and filled out with the proper details IE Authorised  inspector number etc your pretty much good to go, Or  they may send you to an inspection station to check up if theres been additional mods  to whats on the Mod plate list    ..
In  NSW you have to  carry an Authorised  copy of the Mod list with the vehicle at all times to present to the Police that pull you over and the RTA officers at a road side inspection ..  Even then you can be told to go directly to an RTA Inspection station for further checks [ Happened to me ] and still got defected, even though the item the inspector defected was on the mod list with the Engineers approval. [ RTA Inspctor thought he was GOD ]    that cost me another Blue slip full compliance inspection [$65 ] plus the rigmarole of being stuffed  around for 4 to 5 hours to get it cleared .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39:58 AM »
From the little I know, In QLD So long as you have your Blue is plate fixed and filled out with the proper details IE Authorised  inspector number etc your pretty much good to go, Or  they may send you to an inspection station to check up if theres been additional mods  to whats on the Mod plate list    ..
In  NSW you have to  carry an Authorised  copy of the Mod list with the vehicle at all times to present to the Police that pull you over and the RTA officers at a road side inspection ..  Even then you can be told to go directly to an RTA Inspection station for further checks [ Happened to me ] and still got defected, even though the item the inspector defected was on the mod list with the Engineers approval. [ RTA Inspctor thought he was GOD ]    that cost me another Blue slip full compliance inspection [$65 ] plus the rigmarole of being stuffed  around for 4 to 5 hours to get it cleared .

That is all fine and dandy on a blue plate mod, but non plated mods that are legal ie 2" lift or 33" tyres???
What is stopping Mr plod playing god and stickering what is legal but in HIS/HER eyes illegal??

That is why I'd like to know who, roadside, is qualified to impound/sticker a vehicle???

Offline AJS

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 07:43:31 AM »
If you read the Vehicle standards and modifications sheets you will see it's really simple in most cases. Especially when you consider they have additional training on this.
As long as they remember the primary points that's enough, they will frequently call in and get further advice.
I guess you would prefer a yearly inspection by a qualified mechanic rather than having the Police do it? :)
What alternative do you offer?
Far too many unsafe vehicles on the road, the Police are the ones out and about and it's really not that difficult to work out most of the defects.

Using the thought training you are using they are also unqualified to enforce the law not being lawyers or solicitors?

I've been defected for a "defect" which was legal. Got it cleared easily enough. Not ideal but I certainly would not use one isolated idiot having a bad day and wanting to hassle someone as a prime reason for Police not to issue defects.
Your example has me wondering though, if it was a protrusion why wouldn't it not be allowed? Did you experience that during the publicity around bull bar safety? One of the examples they used was pedestrians going under a 4WD when hit.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 08:33:16 AM »
Just another PR exercise.....

Call the news crews to a roadside stop and get some footage of modified modern 4wds being defected for common mods, even better if you can get a clip of a blinged up rig with bright graphics and ‘looks’ like the rigs everyone wants off the road.

All the free news coverage and Facebook posts get people talking about modifications and will make some sensible people think again about that 3” lift that they’re looking at buying for their new dual cab ute.
Pretty much job done and only cost a handful of coppers a couple of hours to do this whole PR job.

On the back of that there will be some on the force that will make it there mission to rid the roads of these killer 4wds, here’s where the great PR work above all comes undone.

1) Do they target the 80 series and GUs with 5” lift and 35/37” tyres?
2) Do they whip the tape measure out and ping all of those of us running 2” lift and 33” tyres?

If they only did the first, I think everyone would be happy, unfortunately for the next few weeks Snr Sargent Powertrip will be going around nailing as many minor defects as he possibly can and any good work done by this exercise is undone.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
I have no problem with Police checking vehicles for roadworthy , but they should be a qualified A grade mechanic before they can issue a defect . After all a A grade mechanic can not book someone for speeding , yes a mechanic can see that you are exceeding the speed limit but they are not qualified to book you .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »
I've written this elsewhere, in response to someone's poorly written letter that trots out the "it'll damage tourism, people have spent a lot of money to mod their vehicles line"

To whom it may concern,

I am taking the time to write to you to address some concerns I have following publicity of recent police enforcement campaigns and the damage they may do to the Queensland tourist economy.

The focus of police enforcement campaigns targeting modified vehicles that are not compliant with legislation is welcomed; however, there are many aspects in the vehicle modification codes that are in force across Australia that are inconsistent – at times, state and territory codes are different to federal ones, and with further differences between states and territories. There is even uncertainty as to whether a vehicle that is legally modified in one state is legal in another, never mind the transfer of registration for a modified (with approval plate or engineering certificate) vehicle between states.

The increasingly wide community of recreational four wheel drivers often draw on knowledge from one another, reputable suppliers and the media associated with this hobby. However, due to inconsistencies in vehicle standards between states/territories, this can lead to confusion.

Resulting from this legislative confusion, as well as rules that change (yet cannot always keep up with technology – see the LED light bar regulations for examples of legislation lagging technology), there are challenges faced by QLD road users.

However, the targeting through a strategy of enforcement rather than education is risking a negative image of the police’s work. There are concerns that the enforcement is a disproportionate response to a problem found in a minority of vehicles.

Many recreational four wheel drivers endeavour to keep their vehicles legal (to the best of their knowledge) and functional for their uses; however, due to the myriad of rules that exist, this is difficult not only for the owner, but also those enforcing the rules. The police who are often left to enforce the rules are forced to interpret rules that are not always transparent, and frequently have received minimal training in these aspects.

Further implications of this high profile campaign are the risk to the QLD tourism industry in regional areas and remote communities. Iconic areas such as Cape York and Fraser Island are both popular destinations for these drivers, bringing valuable income into the areas. A negatively perceived campaign will put people off from visiting these areas; these areas are rightly popular destinations not only for intrastate travellers, but those from interstate. In both cases these travellers are likely to bring their own vehicles which they will have spent time and money preparing for these (possibly once in a lifetime) trips.

I suspect that the wider community endorses the need to remove un-roadworthy/non-compliant vehicles, but this needs to be countered with a reasonable balance to the needs of the user. I propose the following:
1) An Australian wide standardised set of modifications adopted automatically by all states that does not apply retrospectively (as with ADRs)
2) An easily accessible platform for establishing legal modifications and the limits for those modifications to be confirmed for each vehicle. NSW has the RVD list which goes some way to this, however it is not that easy to access and use.
3) The use of an extensive education programme (not one driven on scare tactics, but on established testing and evidence) of the danger of modifications that are not approved or are outside the boundaries of modifications that do not need approval
4) A transparent pricing structure for seeking engineering approval, in the same way that there is a fixed pricing structure for Road Worthy Certificates. This will promote and encourage people who want to do the extra modifications to have them properly approved and tested, rather than a “She’ll be right” approach to modifications.

Points 3 and 4 are potentially the most difficult; the need to educate people when they believe that the modifications they are carrying out are appropriate and safe, but evidence may prove otherwise is a challenge faced by all those involved in the supply of accessories to modify vehicles. Improving access to expertise in guiding and educating those who chose to modify their vehicles is perhaps key to this.

Enforcement of laws takes many shapes; the manner that this is undertaken is the challenge. Hopefully the first stage of law enforcement is an education process of what is legal and what is not; the second stage is that of penalties
The following users thanked this post: Pete79

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
I've written this elsewhere, in response to someone's poorly written letter that trots out the "it'll damage tourism, people have spent a lot of money to mod their vehicles line"

To whom it may concern,

I am taking the time to write to you to address some concerns I have following publicity of recent police enforcement campaigns and the damage they may do to the Queensland tourist economy.

The focus of police enforcement campaigns targeting modified vehicles that are not compliant with legislation is welcomed; however, there are many aspects in the vehicle modification codes that are in force across Australia that are inconsistent – at times, state and territory codes are different to federal ones, and with further differences between states and territories. There is even uncertainty as to whether a vehicle that is legally modified in one state is legal in another, never mind the transfer of registration for a modified (with approval plate or engineering certificate) vehicle between states.

The increasingly wide community of recreational four wheel drivers often draw on knowledge from one another, reputable suppliers and the media associated with this hobby. However, due to inconsistencies in vehicle standards between states/territories, this can lead to confusion.

Resulting from this legislative confusion, as well as rules that change (yet cannot always keep up with technology – see the LED light bar regulations for examples of legislation lagging technology), there are challenges faced by QLD road users.

However, the targeting through a strategy of enforcement rather than education is risking a negative image of the police’s work. There are concerns that the enforcement is a disproportionate response to a problem found in a minority of vehicles.

Many recreational four wheel drivers endeavour to keep their vehicles legal (to the best of their knowledge) and functional for their uses; however, due to the myriad of rules that exist, this is difficult not only for the owner, but also those enforcing the rules. The police who are often left to enforce the rules are forced to interpret rules that are not always transparent, and frequently have received minimal training in these aspects.

Further implications of this high profile campaign are the risk to the QLD tourism industry in regional areas and remote communities. Iconic areas such as Cape York and Fraser Island are both popular destinations for these drivers, bringing valuable income into the areas. A negatively perceived campaign will put people off from visiting these areas; these areas are rightly popular destinations not only for intrastate travellers, but those from interstate. In both cases these travellers are likely to bring their own vehicles which they will have spent time and money preparing for these (possibly once in a lifetime) trips.

I suspect that the wider community endorses the need to remove un-roadworthy/non-compliant vehicles, but this needs to be countered with a reasonable balance to the needs of the user. I propose the following:
1) An Australian wide standardised set of modifications adopted automatically by all states that does not apply retrospectively (as with ADRs)
2) An easily accessible platform for establishing legal modifications and the limits for those modifications to be confirmed for each vehicle. NSW has the RVD list which goes some way to this, however it is not that easy to access and use.
3) The use of an extensive education programme (not one driven on scare tactics, but on established testing and evidence) of the danger of modifications that are not approved or are outside the boundaries of modifications that do not need approval
4) A transparent pricing structure for seeking engineering approval, in the same way that there is a fixed pricing structure for Road Worthy Certificates. This will promote and encourage people who want to do the extra modifications to have them properly approved and tested, rather than a “She’ll be right” approach to modifications.

Points 3 and 4 are potentially the most difficult; the need to educate people when they believe that the modifications they are carrying out are appropriate and safe, but evidence may prove otherwise is a challenge faced by all those involved in the supply of accessories to modify vehicles. Improving access to expertise in guiding and educating those who chose to modify their vehicles is perhaps key to this.

Enforcement of laws takes many shapes; the manner that this is undertaken is the challenge. Hopefully the first stage of law enforcement is an education process of what is legal and what is not; the second stage is that of penalties

Seems reasonable enough. Especially the Australia wide consistency aspect 👍

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »

I was shocked at the price ranges that I was quoted when getting my blue plate for the 4 point internal roll cage and rear seat removal in my Sierra just a few weeks ago.

Apparently in QLD a blue plate with 2 codes can cost between $150 and $550 depending on who you ring (and the $550 guy wanted me to drive the vehicle to his workshop for the inspection).

KingBilly

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
I have no problem with Police checking vehicles for roadworthy , but they should be a qualified A grade mechanic before they can issue a defect . After all a A grade mechanic can not book someone for speeding , yes a mechanic can see that you are exceeding the speed limit but they are not qualified to book you .

Every vehicle on the road has a tyre placard which states the size of tyres legally able to be fitted to that vehicle.  Every tyre fitted to a vehicle has the size of that tyre stamped on it.  The ADR rules, available to all, clearly states the legal maximum you can increase your tyre size.  Don’t think you need to be a qualified mechanic to work that out.  Shit some mechanics are nothing more than oil and filter changers these days.

KB

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »
[quote ]

[/quote]
Apparently already happening for some interstate visitors driving registered modded vehicles, going by the social media outbursts .[ Its on the internet so it must be true ...... or not  ? ] . Some vehicles put off the road to be towed back across the border .. Family holidays ruined  ..
To counter this happening, If you have a legaly registered modded vehicle from another state, that QLD rules dont / wont allow, You would need to apply for written concent  from the relevent QLD  agency [ Police Commissioner or main Roads from memory ] before crossing into QLD   and carry the concent letter with you,   to be able to drive that legal modded interstate  vehicle on QLD roads ..
Pretty much bring back the need of a passport and Visa to be able to enter the State of QLD .. Yayyyy !   ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:05:07 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
Every vehicle on the road has a tyre placard which states the size of tyres legally able to be fitted to that vehicle.  Every tyre fitted to a vehicle has the size of that tyre stamped on it.  The ADR rules, available to all, clearly states the legal maximum you can increase your tyre size.  Don’t think you need to be a qualified mechanic to work that out.  Shit some mechanics are nothing more than oil and filter changers these days.

KB

Not that simple KB........The ADR rules are a shambles and the new national VSB14 ain't much better as individual states are blatantly ignoring it refer the 4WD QLD press release..........
Also, is Mr plod qualified is suspension and steering geometry, enough to stipulate that it is unsafe??
It is as clear as mud!!!Also, the tyre placard, like most of your documentation on your vehicle, it's a recommendation!! Same as your towing capacities....not worth the paper it's written on!

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
Not that simple KB........The ADR rules are a shambles and the new national VSB14 ain't much better as individual states are blatantly ignoring it refer the 4WD QLD press release..........
Also, is Mr plod qualified is suspension and steering geometry, enough to stipulate that it is unsafe??
It is as clear as mud!!!Also, the tyre placard, like most of your documentation on your vehicle, it's a recommendation!! Same as your towing capacities....not worth the paper it's written on!

Yes it is, I think you are WAY over complicating what they are doing, they are not checking suspension and steering geometry, they are checking the ride height, (suspension etc) that affects the geometry and the only skill really required it to be able to read some manufacturer information and wield a tape measure. They are not making the rules up (what is and isn't safe) as they go, they are just checking if they are compliant with the existing rules.

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Doc, my understanding of this whole process is a copper may indeed look at your vehicle and decide it's illegal, and then apply a sticker. This action in itself does not automatically apply a penalty, apart from you needing to pay for a flatbed to get the vehicle to a mechanic.

To get the sticker removed you must present to an inspection station where the qualified people will check it out and say yay or nay.
The inspector will then let you know what you need to do to pass.

Any one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..  :cheers:
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »
Yes it is, I think you are WAY over complicating what they are doing, they are not checking suspension and steering geometry, they are checking the ride height, (suspension etc) that affects the geometry and the only skill really required it to be able to read some manufacturer information and wield a tape measure. They are not making the rules up (what is and isn't safe) as they go, they are just checking if they are compliant with the existing rules.

Agree.  You don't need to be qualified to use a tape measure and check a label or mod plate. 

The one thing I wish was as easy was finding exactly what you can and can't do to you vehicle and what mods need engineering.  I know it would be a lot of work to set up but how good would it be if each State Road Authority had on their website a modification site, where you select your vehicle and it come up with what mods you can do yourself, as well as what other mods can be done, including all the work needed to be done, for an engineered modification.  With it all on the Authorities website it just makes the whole process so much easier right through to completion.  As Police already have access to these sites they too can check your mods have been approved.  Easy and simple. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »
Doc, my understanding of this whole process is a copper may indeed look at your vehicle and decide it's illegal, and then apply a sticker. This action in itself does not automatically apply a penalty, apart from you needing to pay for a flatbed to get the vehicle to a mechanic.

To get the sticker removed you must present to an inspection station where the qualified people will check it out and say yay or nay.

In NSW if it is a Yellow Defect Notice you have a X amount of days to get the Notice lifted and can drive up to that date.  If a Red Defect then it is on the tilt tray. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »

I thought suspension affected ride height...........maybe I'm wrong there........just like Mr Plod.......

Also, what are the existing rules, are they checking to VSB14, ADR or to their own figures........

Do you know what the standard ride height is of a Lada or how about a Patrol GQ or 60 series cruiser???? Doubt you have that info at hand or squirreled away in your memory, yet I very much doubt they have that info or info on ALL vehicles, and are measuring these vehicles correctly. A tape measure held to the roof to ground is NOT accurate in any shape or form!

Have no issues with proper transport inspectors doing the inspecting, I have no issues with them removing the unsafe vehicles off the road however, I feel that the average copper has absolutely no idea about 4WDs (and properly modded cars for that matter) yet are deemed "qualified" to infringe or remove a vehicle from the road based on that individuals personal view!

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »

That's my point!! If the coppers missus ran off with a bloke in a Jeep, is that copper going to persecute every jeep on the road???

If the copper picks on me because I"m on holidays and he isn't, my holiday is ruined because I have to PROVE my innocence by going to pay to have the privilege of the DOT saying yay or nay (when I know full well I comply with all regulations) and removing the sticker.
If it is an inspector, no issue.......if it's mr plod on a bad day..........or a slow news day..........