Author Topic: new modcon c3 hybrid  (Read 15524 times)

Offline scott8888

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: new modcon c3 hybrid
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »
Have you looked at the CC Exodus 11 Bunk version? It's pretty obvious copy to my way of thinking. Having said that if you just do everything the same as an established competitor you are unlikely to succeed. Modcon haven't differentiated themselves much on the design, but they obviously have on the manufacturing process to deliver something at a fraction of the price.

Well aware of the CC exodus, in fact been keen on this style of camper since before CC got into the exodus, when they were still made by Ian Simpson at Exodus Campers... eg the Kingston...back when they were still reasonably priced too.
As i said there are similarities, such as the layout, but style and manufacturing are quite different and aimed at very different markets.
regards.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »
Regarding Pacemans query about seeing one in the flesh, yes I did have a brief look at the Brisbane show last month. It certainly grabbed my attention as I walked past, and I didn't mind the concept and layout, but once I started having a bit of a close looked I was VERY surprised at the overall quality of finish and refinement. Makes sense if it was a bit rushed just to get it ready for the show, but given the reputation Modcon has for being one of the more respected brands, I was a bit surprised they let this one slip through.

Now doubt the quality will improve, so I wouldn't write it off, just give them a while to sort it out.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
Quote from: Spada
Makes sense if it was a bit rushed just to get it ready for the show
See I don't buy that...
Surely if your a professional company, with all the shows calendared up usually 12mths in advance, you should have your Shit together to put your show piece...

I know that's how we did it when I was building boats down at Brackens - they were always finished and tested (and usually sold) weeks in advance of a show
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
See I don't buy that...
Surely if your a professional company, with all the shows calendared up usually 12mths in advance, you should have your Shit together to put your show piece...

I know that's how we did it when I was building boats down at Brackens - they were always finished and tested (and usually sold) weeks in advance of a show

Gee, for once I agree with you mate.  :cup:

If in fact it comes from overseas, and a show is coming up, you tart it up as good as possible. If you show it as is, you must realise ALL the future examples are going to be the same.

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
I agree with you mate.  :cup:

x3
You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Although I do think sometimes people get a little too tied up in build quality, there is an adequate quality which is necessary and then there is aesthetically pleasing workmanship which is great but more a luxury than a necessity. But that is a different topic.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
x3
You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Although I do think sometimes people get a little too tied up in build quality, there is an adequate quality which is necessary and then there is aesthetically pleasing workmanship which is great but more a luxury than a necessity. But that is a different topic.

But I think a very important factor in most purchases....whether it be campers or cars or even houses.

But it is also why some are happy with a shack out the back of town and others see the benefit of a "nice" house in town..

I had 2 KK campers, and I personally liked the finished product ( as well as the functional product ), but others are happy with a cheaper product that probably does the same or similar function !!

It's the same in everything we buy......why not buy a $12 saucepan from Woolies instead of the fancy $45 one from XX shop ??

Modcon will have some good sales with this......but the width and height might deter some.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
Any update on these? Info' and first-hand experience still limited I guess.
Highly functional layout for a family of four... more so than the Breakaway Ultra (fridge being main issue).

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 09:33:39 AM »
The price doesn't look too bad. But add in 240 mains hookup, battery management and solar plus an off road hitch, some hot water and a fridge and there's another $7K. It seems very easy to blow the price out on base models of all makes with options which maybe oughta be in there to start with.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »
An idea for you maybe .. depending on skills / friends with abilities  / space etc or possibly commissioning a mobile welder / fabricator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjx8lgIMCU   .. Could be done well to a lower budget ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 11:56:50 AM »
Any update on these? Info' and first-hand experience still limited I guess.
Highly functional layout for a family of four... more so than the Breakaway Ultra (fridge being main issue).
Mate I spoke to Modcon last week as we are interested in looking at one. Basically they only have 1 on show which is being used for shows. They are doing shipments every few months with only a handful on each one, next one is due in January but have all been allocated to customers. Being in Sydney he said they don’t have any for show in NSW as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper
The following users thanked this post: Benduro

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »

....... It seems very easy to blow the price out on base models of all makes with options which maybe oughta be in there to start with.

Ain't that the truth...

Like it would also be the correct way to go - if manufacturers told the truth about the realistic weight of their products...

Not a non-usable culled back version that excludes LPG; water; and the accessories they install for you at the factory; etc....

But because there is no clear legislation covering at what point the thing should be plated; and because "they all do it, why should my company needlessly make our vans look heavier"  ...  then tonnage gets quoted at an unrealistic "Dry Weight"....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
I like it, kind of between an Exodus and a Rhinomax, both of which were on our list
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
I like it, kind of between an Exodus and a Rhinomax, both of which were on our list

Its a direct copy of the exodus isn't it?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
Mate I spoke to Modcon last week as we are interested in looking at one. Basically they only have 1 on show which is being used for shows. They are doing shipments every few months with only a handful on each one, next one is due in January but have all been allocated to customers. Being in Sydney he said they don’t have any for show in NSW as yet.

Seems a strange way of doing business, I would think these would sell well as long as the supply chain works properly.

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
I'm also interested in this concept and layout.  Love the Darche awning, but it does suggest it needs to be packed away in windy conditions.  Someone suggested (King Billy?) earlier in this thread that the C3 was a copy of several other manufacturers (besides Complete Campsite).  Can anyone point me to these others?  I'd like to compare what each offers? 
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
Just watched the vids .. This jumped out at me in the underneath views .Would have to hope this is the prototype one in the videos just to show the concept .
Looks like someone forgot to put breather / drain holes in the chassis box sections and the Galvanisers took to the chassis with an oxy torch .. Wouldnt be too happy about that ..
You definately wouldnt want to have that on the display version ..

Offline tagman

• Tent User
    • unique test tags / labels
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
I was keen on one of these.
Had a look on the weekend at a show on the Sunshine Coast.
It was raining - very wet. Not all the water was “outside” the camper. The external “pantry” door was very flimsy and I did not think it would last.
That was enough for me to move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
www.tags2u.com.au

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »
What are the prices on similar models from different brands? This type of set up is something that would suit us
Bought a what?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »
What are the prices on similar models from different brands? This type of set up is something that would suit us

About 80k http://unsealed4x4.com.au/review-complete-campsite-exodus-11/

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
In that case the $50k I save can be used for fixing things
Bought a what?

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »
I'm also interested in this concept and layout.  Love the Darche awning, but it does suggest it needs to be packed away in windy conditions.  Someone suggested (King Billy?) earlier in this thread that the C3 was a copy of several other manufacturers (besides Complete Campsite).  Can anyone point me to these others?  I'd like to compare what each offers?
This may help you https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/top-10-hybrid-campers-113404/

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 07:53:01 AM »
Thanks Edz.  Some great hybrid candy there.  Compared to this lot, the C3 is certainly a cheaper option, but it appears there's a reason for that.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
Wow some of those prices

Bought a what?

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
Or you could go the way Stumped did and for about twenty K give or take http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=37321.0

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
Quote from: JusyApples
Wow some of those prices
and some of them are piss small ...
even tight for this family