Author Topic: Help with long drop dunny  (Read 8122 times)

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Help with long drop dunny
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
Has anyone sourced corrugated poly/hdpe pipe around 700 diameter at a good price. I'm kicking around using a 3 metre length for a long drop. I'm going to try and do a vented design like some national parks as they rarely stink.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Help with long drop dunny
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »
Find a large civil plumbing contractor and see if they have a length out the back of their yard, a couple cases of beverages goes a long way sometimes

GG
The following users thanked this post: The punter

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
Maybe google Spiral Would Plastic Pipe Suppliers and see if anyone near you will sell by the metre.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
I see you in Adelaide, try the following in Lonsdale, they have lots of different size diameters and lengths of pipe available
RPC Pipe Systems
11 Christie Rd, Lonsdale SA 5160
(08) 8329 1111
https://goo.gl/maps/txJERiXmwNx
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
Don't know if it is any use to you, but with the long-drop we built recently we buried one of those 1000l IBC containers and used a length of 300mm storm water pipe as the drop tube. We bribed a plumber at a shopping centre that was being renovated and got a length about 4' long.

Here is a link to my build if it helps - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=28369.msg948219#msg948219

and here is a link with some handy design tips - http://helid.digicollection.org/en/d/Jh0210e/3.2.3.html

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:27:26 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
I see you in Adelaide, try the following in Lonsdale, they have lots of different size diameters and lengths of pipe available
RPC Pipe Systems
11 Christie Rd, Lonsdale SA 5160
(08) 8329 1111
https://goo.gl/maps/txJERiXmwNx

Thanks mate, I've emailed them
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »
Don't know if it is any use to you, but with the long-drop we built recently we buried one of those 1000l IBC containers and used a length of 300mm storm water pipe as the drop tube. We bribed a plumber at a shopping centre that was being renovated and got a length about 4' long.

Here is a link to my build if it helps - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=28369.msg948219#msg948219

and here is a link with some handy design tips - http://helid.digicollection.org/en/d/Jh0210e/3.2.3.html

That's a great idea! Those tanks can be had for a hundred bucks!
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »
That's a great idea! Those tanks can be had for a hundred bucks!

I paid $50 for a non-food grade one.
Spada.

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
I paid $50 for a non-food grade one.

Hows it all working? I planned on the PC Fan VIP latrine after doing some reading so would be keen to know how this performs? 1000L is a lot of turds!

13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 05:48:59 PM »
So far so good. So far it's only had 2 weekends worth of use with about 10 or so people each time. I only run the fan when we are there and the product is fresh, otherwise natural wind flow seems to be enough. Last time there the fan ran for 3 days and the battery still had plenty of charge when we left. We went up and mowed yesterday to ready the site for a group visit this weekend and there was no smell noticable.

Usually there is 4 or 5 families in our group when go to this spot and we typically only go about 6 times a year, so the system gets a good rest between uses. Based on our usage, we estimate that we should get about 2 - 3 years before we need to bury a new tank.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:51:38 PM by Spada »
Spada.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:41:23 PM »
Why wouldn't you just hook it up to a small solar panel and have it run whenever the sun shines?

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
Find a decent sized new subdivision and you should be able to get a 2-4m length of black max for a carton or two. Just hit up the supervisor. Ph number will be on the gate. We turf short lengths like that every few months.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
Why wouldn't you just hook it up to a small solar panel and have it run whenever the sun shines?

thats the plan once I happen to acquire a suitable panel at the right price, just waiting for the right truck to hit a suitably sized bump  >:D
Spada.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
thats the plan once I happen to acquire a suitable panel at the right price, just waiting for the right truck to hit a suitably sized bump  >:D

What's the pump drawing, if it's a PC one you could probably pick up one on ebay for some spare change

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
You can get a day/night solar vent fan for about $100 on ebay. That's solar panel, fan and battery all in one.
Maybe just a decent reasonably high stack painted black might do. In winter the air below will be naturally warmer and will rise up the stack. In summer the black stack pipe will warm up and maybe draw air through.  Just a thought.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »
You can get a day/night solar vent fan for about $100 on ebay. That's solar panel, fan and battery all in one.
Maybe just a decent reasonably high stack painted black might do. In winter the air below will be naturally warmer and will rise up the stack. In summer the black stack pipe will warm up and maybe draw air through.  Just a thought.

Yep the tech link that Spada posted has discussions around the black pipe and draw. I've also read that on cold mornings there is no draw and things can get mankey. After 6 beers 2 wines and <lost count> of bourbons... I don't really want that AGB experience in the morning... so I'll look into the fan idea. Mrs car needs a new battery so her existing one might get the job with a small panel.

This forum is so good for this kind of stuff, thanks all, I'm all over this project now like flies on a turd ... boom tish
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
computer fan draws about 0.4ah
Spada.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
I got some nice 80mm fans from Jaycar for cooling some electrics. They draw just 80 milliamps (0.08 amps) and shift almost 0.6 cu m per minute. Whisper quiet too.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/80mm-silent-hydrodynamic-bearing-case-fan/p/YX2570

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline wetduck

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »
a couple of 200l drums with the tops and bottoms removed would be a cheap option.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
Hi,
    I've seen a 200L drum used, tilted about 30 degrees so liquid could overflow out the bigger hole.
The inlet was 100mm sewer pipe cut into the side near the top..
It was filled with water, which flowed out when deposits were dropped in.
The sewer pipe enters an air space and goes down into the liquid. This forms an air lock, which can be enhanced by adding a cup or more of vegetable oil down the pipe.
All the smelly bits sink below the oil film.
The life of the instillation can be extended by burning the toilet paper in a nearby metal 20L drum.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
I'd personally be looking at doing a composting type toilet (keep liquids and solids separate) haven't had personal experience with them but plenty of people rate them in online reviews, plenty of cheap DIY versions on youtube too. I am yet to find a vented pit toilet at a national park that doesn't at least have a pretty strong pong to it.

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
I'd personally be looking at doing a composting type toilet (keep liquids and solids separate) haven't had personal experience with them but plenty of people rate them in online reviews, plenty of cheap DIY versions on youtube too. I am yet to find a vented pit toilet at a national park that doesn't at least have a pretty strong pong to it.

I've found that if people keep the lids shut and the vent is designed properly they are pretty good
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »
Could your fan run on methane?

.....  just triana help, ok? 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »
I am yet to find a vented pit toilet at a national park that doesn't at least have a pretty strong pong to it.

We've just had a week at the NPWS Coochin Creek camping ground in Beerwah SF on the Sunny Coast.

They have long drops (although new flush dunnies are just about finished :cup:) that you are supposed to drop a cup of sawdust into after use.

They were fine with regards to smell, although Mrs said that the women's ran out of sawdust on arvo of our 2nd day & by the 3rd day they were all a bit off :'(

Ranger visited that day, replenished the sawdust supply & they were fine after that. Don't know if he did anything "downstairs" to make the smell go away ??? Also don't know why a cup of sawdust should do much / anything to kill the stink ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday