Author Topic: Top Trail campers  (Read 5645 times)

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
Top Trail campers
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:38:47 AM »
Looking to get my feet wet so to speak in the camper trailer space.
Have been looking on and off over the last year and have narrowed my search down to two general types of camper I could see being useful. The first (and most likely most expensive) would be a forward fold, second would be a walk through arrangement.
Now the fun part is trying to sort the good from the bad (brand wise).
One brand I stumbled across recently (no longer being made though) is Top Trail. Has anyone seen or heard any good or bad stories about this manufacturer? They made a forward folder that looks pretty good to my untrained pad wan eye. Specifically, the one I’m thinking of is a 2008 model.

Thanks in advance.
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wolften

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Top Trail campers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
I can only add 1 comment... check out Patriot Campershttps://www.patriotcampers.com.au/

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »
I can only add 1 comment... check out Patriot Campershttps://www.patriotcampers.com.au/
I would if I had that sort of coin. Regrettably I don’t. Budget is around $10k.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
Looks like you might have been looking for more like a year or five from your join date, Lifestyle camper's do a walk-through/up and they can be had within your price range. What part of Australia are you in?

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »
Looks like you might have been looking for more like a year or five from your join date, Lifestyle camper's do a walk-through/up and they can be had within your price range. What part of Australia are you in?
Joined up ages ago and life took a different direction. Now back on this track.
In Canberra (unfortunately) which limits the second hand options close by. Seems to be a heap in QLD though.
I keep coming back to the Top Trail 2008 in my search’s. Ideally I think forward fold would be great but the walk through would be a good second choice. Will keep looking unless I can find someone who can give me some more info on the Top Trail. Or I’ll give in and go for a drive to Newcastle to check this thing out.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 04:49:10 AM »
Hi Rob, They look Ok but do they have a boat rack for a tinny on top, but what do I know I own an old Jayco pop top I bought and rebuilt it, it owes me 4.4 grand, I like it because it sleeps my hole family 6 people off the ground with our gear inside, Them Patriot Campers maybe good ,but they are all bling and a lot of money for a flash trailer with a RTT, Craig
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:33:09 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Hi Rob, They look Ok but do they have a boat rack for a tinny on top, but what do I know I own an old Jayco pop top I bought and rebuilt it, it owes me 4.4 grand, I like it because it sleeps my hole family 6 people off the ground with our gear inside, Them Patriot Campers maybe good ,but they are all bling and a lot of money for a flash trailer with a RTT, Craig
Hi Craig,
Not too phased if it has a rack for a tinny to be honest. Happy to fish from land and there’s not much need for a tinny in the other places I’d take it. It’s more about ease of setup and convenience of the lounge area that the forward folds have.
As I said though if they aren’t that good then a walk through would be the next best option.
Rob

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
All Good, I have never owned one so I can not comment on the campers, But have fun looking, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
All Good, I have never owned one so I can not comment on the campers, But have fun looking, Craig
Not sure fun is the word I’d use but hey something to keep me busy over Easter.

The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »
$200 would probably get you return flights and car hire for a day to look at some if you organised it beforehand. Then if you made a head start on a Friday afternoon you could pretty easily get up and back in a weekend, plenty of others have done similar.

Toptrail from memory were an importer at the cheaper end of the market. But if I were you, I'd spend a couple of hundred on flights for a day and then you can have a look at few in the flesh and compare what your money gets you and whether a road trip is worthwhile.
The following users thanked this post: Dave_aj

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
$200 would probably get you return flights and car hire for a day to look at some if you organised it beforehand. Then if you made a head start on a Friday afternoon you could pretty easily get up and back in a weekend, plenty of others have done similar.

Toptrail from memory were an importer at the cheaper end of the market. But if I were you, I'd spend a couple of hundred on flights for a day and then you can have a look at few in the flesh and compare what your money gets you and whether a road trip is worthwhile.

Most links for Toptrail take you to the ezytrail page so I’m guessing they were bought out. If I was going to go look I’d probably drive up. Lease car for work so fuel isn’t an issue. Can always see what else is around in general area and have look at them as well.

This is the one I’m talking about.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1179202394?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »
What are you planning on towing it with and what type camping are you planning on doing? It looks like a pretty good deal, but quality will be the big question mark, some Chinese made camper's are fine for what the majority of people want it for, the question mark over this one for me would quality especially as they didn't make many so wouldn't have the time to iron out issues.

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »
What are you planning on towing it with and what type camping are you planning on doing? It looks like a pretty good deal, but quality will be the big question mark, some Chinese made camper's are fine for what the majority of people want it for, the question mark over this one for me would quality especially as they didn't make many so wouldn't have the time to iron out issues.
Have a Triton to tow it with. Nothing hard core as far as off road goes. Will mostly be camping down the coast and maybe some State forest and National Park stuff. I’m thinking same as you regarding quality of finished product (trailer and fittings) and the canvas. Being 10 years old and all I guess could be where things start to deteriorate if they haven’t already.

Offline dooguss

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado Power
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
For walk through couldn’t go past an older model mountain trail camper.
Forward fold my pick is Stoney Creek campers, look the goods and fastly becoming a popular model buy.
2006 Toyota Prado
2014 Stoney creek rear fold.

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
For walk through couldn’t go past an older model mountain trail camper.
Forward fold my pick is Stoney Creek campers, look the goods and fastly becoming a popular model buy.
Didn’t realize Mountain Trail did a walk through version. Was it a particular model or are they all walk through’s?

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:38:19 PM by Alan Loy »

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 08:47:01 PM »
Don't know if you have considered a rear fold camper.  Not so many arround but I had a great time with an Outback.  They are an older style but still usefull.  Here's a Heaslip, who were a good brand back in the day. https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-5133696/1999-heaslip/?cr=18&category=camping-trailers&psq=%28%28%28%28%28%28Price%3Drange%5B..10000%5D%26%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20Used%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20New%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20Used%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20Near%20New%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BFor%20Auction%5D%29%29%26SaleStatus%3D%5BFor%20Sale%5D%29%26Service%3D%5BCaravancampingsales%5D%29%26Service%21%3D%5BShowroom%5D%29%26%28Category%3D%5BCamping%20Trailers%5D%26SubCategory%3D%5BOff%20Road%20Camper%5D%29%29%26State%3D%5BNew%20South%20Wales%5D%29&pso=15&pss=~Price

Did you check out the classified section here?
Rear fold is also in the mix. Heaslip looks pretty good (tent may be a bit big for me).
Have been through Classifieds about 20 times. There’s a few I like but QLD is a long way to go to look.
I’ll be on my own so wondering if a hard floor model will be easier for me to set up. Watched a video for the Lifestyle soft floor and while it looked straight forward it could be interesting on my own.
Preferably would like the stove as part of the kitchen rather than a portable one sitting on the unit.
I’m getting close to knowing exactly what I want, it’s now really a matter of finding one close enough that I don’t have to compromise on what I’d like.
It pains me to say it but even the hard floor Mars Galileo is on the possible list (mainly for ease of setup) although it’s features are impressive. If I can be convinced that a lifestyle soft floor can be done easily on my own with minimal swearing and cursing it will just come down to finding the right one.
I’ve even considered getting one freighted down from QLD (private sale) but would need someone to look it over or I’d be buying blind.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
If you plan on setting it up yourself then that should be a major consideration.  Some of the early chinese made campers were particularly bad at this, I've seen people take over an hour to set it up because the design involved heaps of canvas and poles, many inclusions but the package was difficult to use.

As this is your 1st camper then I would recommend something simple and straight forward to put up & down.  Older style australian campers tend to fit in this category. 

You need to decide what are the critical factors for YOU.  Do you need X beds, do you love/hate to cook, will you stay in 1 place for a week or a day, will you test the suspension to destruction or only drive on roads, can you tow 2 tons  or 3 etc.  Think about writing a specification that will help us help you.  The process will help to focus your thoughts & decide what is important.

Offline dashooter

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
If you plan on setting it up yourself then that should be a major consideration.  Some of the early chinese made campers were particularly bad at this, I've seen people take over an hour to set it up because the design involved heaps of canvas and poles, many inclusions but the package was difficult to use.

As this is your 1st camper then I would recommend something simple and straight forward to put up & down.  Older style australian campers tend to fit in this category. 

You need to decide what are the critical factors for YOU.  Do you need X beds, do you love/hate to cook, will you stay in 1 place for a week or a day, will you test the suspension to destruction or only drive on roads, can you tow 2 tons  or 3 etc.  Think about writing a specification that will help us help you.  The process will help to focus your thoughts & decide what is important.

Hi Alan,
Realistically only need bed for me but I like to spread out. :)
I like the idea of a walk through as I hate ladders plus there’s a bit of extra storage when travelling. Like to cook so would prefer to have the kitchen with cooker built in rather than a portable stove placed on top of the kitchen area. Would most likely be main roads however there may be some dirt roads down the track but nothing really bad like rock climbing tracks etc.
Will be used for weekenders and week long trips alike. Triton is rated to 3.5 ton I think with a braked trailer, 750kgs unbreaked. I don’t have an electric break controller at the moment but most likely will need one depending on which trailer I end up with.
I keep coming back to the Lifestyle range, specifically the Extenda and Extenda Elite. Both are walk through models but not sure what the difference between them is. Maybe same model but name changed between years?
This is a current option that’s relatively close to me. All others are getting into the QLD distances for similar price and inclusions.

Lifestyle Extenda Camper Trailer on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1176897263?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
I solo camp and have an ezy trail camper. Recently took the tent canvas, annex and floor off and gone back to an instant up tent plus a large tarp to go over the entire setup.  Started off as a youngen in a tent and 50+ years later I am back in one. Keep things simple. Still a lot quicker than setting up the camper tent annex and front awning.  Pain in the butt if you only do a night. I set mine up so I have the fold out Kitchen with everything ready to go and a small quick setup tent as well if only for a night. 3 nights or longer and the 6 x 7 tarp goes over everything.  Plus I prefer to be outdoors and not spend any time under canvas unless sleeping. Good luck.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!