Author Topic: Cape York - Do I need to take spare Leaf Springs for the Trailer?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Hi All,

Later this year we are doing Cape York and taking our Camper Trailer and I’ve received conflicting advice on Trailer Springs. One guy I spoke to broke both his springs while another towed his trailer to the Cape a couple of times without issue.

We have a 9 year old locally made good quality Soft Floor Camper and to date I’ve never had any issues. Also all up I estimate it will weight around 750kgs fully loaded.

I’ve measured the springs and they are Eye to Eye, 5 Leaf, 680 long, 60mm wide and while I’m no expert of springs, but from what I’ve read on the internet these seem heavy duty. I also know this isn’t a common size. Seeing the trailer is light, it doesn’t have shocks.

Just after any feedback as conscious that if I carried every single spare part for the Car/Trailer it’s going to add some serious weight, but also if I do break a spring it’s going to be painful.

Thanks

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Cape York - Do I need to take spare Leaf Springs for the Trailer?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
We towed our Ultimate Camper in 2016. The corrugations can be bad and certainly will shake anything loose that it can. We saw a lot of broken trailers on our trip. I would be certain the trailer is suitable for this type of trip before committing to taking it.

There is a limit to what you can carry before all the extra spare parts become a liability in themselves due to weight. I would recommend making sure everything is in good order on your vehicles. If you think the trailer is suitable but are concerned about the springs, replace them before your trip. Perform regular maintenance checks on your trip and you should be ok.

Cheers

Offline Johnnos3003

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
The last time I went to the cape I broke a trailer spring, the trailer was brand new and it came with a spare spring (was in the front tool box never took it out back in the old days when every one just over loaded there 4wd and trailer) it was quite handy just changed out on the side of the track and away we went.

I m also going back to the cape this year, different trailer not taking a spare spring for three reasons;

Weight
Space
Its not that hard to get parts there.

As far as spares for the car again same three reasons and will only take the min to get out of trouble
repair manual
Oil + filter + plug
Fuel filter
air filter - bit of a luxury item
fan belt
rad cap + hoses

There is a limit to what you can carry before all the extra spare parts become a liability in themselves due to weight. I would recommend making sure everything is in good order on your vehicles. If you think the trailer is suitable but are concerned about the springs, replace them before your trip. Perform regular maintenance checks on your trip and you should be ok.
Cheers

Yep 1000%

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
Not being a common size you MAY have difficulties if you need repairs. Our convoy (not our car, LOL) needed repairs in both Bamaga and Weipa and found them really helpful. But it was vehicle repairs, not trailer parts. Weipa is bigger, better equipped, and probably more likely to have the parts you'd need IF anyone up that way was going to have them, I'd say...

One of the cars in our convoy bent a tyre rod (which could have been avoided, but such is life), the other needed a set of bushes replaced (that perhaps should have been done before we left!). Have your vehicle and trailer in the best possible condition mechanically before you head off. The corrugations can be brutal. We had a leak in our rear diff (fixed by tightening only, bonus) from the PDR corrugations - the diff gasket managed to work its way loose! Check over everything regularly and hopefully you'll catch any issues before they become big problems.

Plenty of people tow up the Cape, but plenty of people also manage to write off their cars and/or trailers on the roads up there. If you're sensible about things you should have a fantastic trip with minimal to no damage. But things can always go pear shaped when you least expect it!

Agree with the comments about spare parts becoming a liability - you can't predict everything that could go wrong, and you can't take everything!

Consider taking a spare air filter for your vehicle if you haven't already packed one - light and doesn't take up much space. Travelling in convoy we really needed it, even with a good pre-cleaner and trying to keep a good distance from the car in front.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
The list of what ifs and maybe's is very long ..
Easy to say but DONT OVERLOAD the trailer .
 Make sure every bolt Nut etc is vibration proofed even the Nylocked nutted ones good dollop of silicone into the exposed  threads onto the nut  can help ...
 The drawbar connections to chassis, spring mounts are solid and gusseted .. Are the springs a millitary wrap type main and second leaf ?  .. Maybe look at seeing a spring works to fit that type up and carry one main leaf as spare . Spare bushes Metalistic HD Rubber type [ Standard Toyota rear Spring eye size can be found everywhere if needed ] Not the Poly types . ..
A few spare U-Bolts and nuts washers plates etc . Couple of decent HD Ratchet straps and a small roll of decent fence wire .. Spare Wheel studs / nuts .. Cordless drill and a few accessories, Cut off discs grinder drills etc, at the minimum a Take apart Hacksaw and a bloody good hammer / pry bar .
A good sense of Improvisation  ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:46:17 AM »
... Are the springs a millitary wrap type main and second leaf ?  .. Maybe look at seeing a spring works to fit that type up.....

I reckon do that ^, if it's not already.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:08 AM »
x2 to what edz said great advise, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 07:17:37 AM »
Also depends on when you go. We took our 20 foot Bushtracker up there and there was only one bad section but still fine when driving to the conditions. But on the way back and leading into the school holidays the road was a lot different due to the increase traffic.
 But again all good when driving to the changing conditions and we did not do the old telegraph track. But as with everywhere there were some stupid drivers who were in a hurry and they were the real danger.  But what a place, we had the best time, will be back.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »
http://australiantrailerparts.com.au/5-leaf-shackle-spring-6mm-thick-x-45mm-wide/4:9745/

Similar? Cheap - $53 a pair and not in the off-road spring section. I’d be taking 2 spares of those. And bushes.

Offline ANDYJAY

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
Hi BEACHMAN,we did Cape york a couple of times with aloaded 6x4trailer<not camper>.Both times front spring mount came off chassis.Had to fix axle in place with length of chain attached to A frame draw bar.Welded mounts gave way.Trailer had already done Ballarat to Adelaide to Alice via back way,Darwin ,Kakadu,Gulf road to Atherton table lands without problems.So make sure all joints ,mounts,bushes and anything else that can come loose or brake is in top condition.Road can be of ok if recently graded until you get to telegraph track,then expect the worst.
Good luck.It's worth the trip,but take your time.
Andrew

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
Murphys Law.

Take a spare and you won't need it.  Don't take it and you will...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk