Author Topic: Miss Coober Pedy or the northern part of the Oodnadatta track ???  (Read 9149 times)

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
I am planning my trip back from the Kimberleys to Brisbane for next year, and currently looking at coming down the Stuart Hwy from Alice Springs...

I am going to work my way around to Birdsville Via the Oodnadatta etc, but I am tossing up whether to turn off the Stuart at Marla and do the full track, or travel down to Coober Pedy, and then head in to the track via William Creek Rd. This means I miss the northern part of the track.

Should we miss Coober Pedy to do the northern part of the Oodnadatta track, or should we miss the northern part of the track and see Coober Pedy ?

Both my wife and I have never done the Oodnadatta, and I only saw Coober Pedy 30 years ago.

Thanks

Mark

2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
Re: Miss Coober Pedy or the northern part of the Oodnadatta track ???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:50:47 AM »
I'm heading up the Oodnadatta Track this year on my way to Alice Springs. From what I've read, the northern section from Oodnadatta to Marla is the least interesting, from a scenic point of view anyway. However, having been to Coober Pedy, personally I thought it was a Shithole & wouldn't stop there again for anything but fuel. So I'd recommend heading down the track from Marla & doing the 'full track'.
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS

Offline roughing it

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
Miss coober pedy its not the safest pleace, oodnadatta is so much more of an adventure

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:54:44 AM »
Miss coober pedy its not the safest pleace, oodnadatta is so much more of an adventure

Sure is... but not a place I'd want to wander around after dark either....
We never free camp around either of those places...(or Marla either). like to be well away from the communities and there are some in the bush around Marla.  Had one of our Indigenous brothers standing (pissed as a newt) on the Stuart Hwy one day trying to wave down a ride for himself and the others we spotted standing off in the bush.... Now, we don't stop for any of them around that area.....
We do around Kings Canyon cause we know them and have visited their communities but elsewhere it is for us a bit risky....
Desert Lover

Offline bevwone

• Swag User
  • Challenge Walk In Deluxe/Meridian Camper
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »
Disagree with both the above.

Coober Pedy is unique, and the landscape around is amazing. Not taking anything away from Oodnadatta but I believe there is more to see going through Coober Pedy.

• Breakaways at Dawn and Dusk is spectacular.
  • Moon plain makes you feel as though you are on another planet.

The drive between William Creek and Maree is not much different from the drive between Oodnadatta and William Creek, bar a few old Ghan sidings and crossings, and the Pink Roadhouse.

My 2 cents

Bev
Bevan M
2010 GXL 200 TD
Challenge Walk in Deluxe Camper.
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS, themissus

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »

Coober Pedy is unique, and the landscape around is amazing. Not taking anything away from Oodnadatta but I believe there is more to see going through Coober Pedy.

The drive between William Creek and Maree is not much different from the drive between Oodnadatta and William Creek, bar a few old Ghan sidings and crossings, and the Pink Roadhouse.

My 2 cents

Bev
Agree Bev, though i have only stayed there once on our way to do the canning, and i wouldn't roam the streets at night, but had a good time out for dinner at the Italian club, sleeping underground, and viewing the breakaways at dawn. Is a very unique place, look forward to taking the family there to show them the sights.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:49:45 AM by vern »

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »

My 2 cents

Bev

I agree with this. Ive stayed at Coober twice, once in a hotel room and the second time in the caravan park in the middle of town. There was some drunken activity outside the high fences of the caravan park at night but that was far outweighed by the things Bev mentioned plus al the other 'touristy' stuff in town.

Im told the caravan park just outside of the township is the nicer one to stay at ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
My memories of Cober Pedy....a wheel bearing in my Cruiser collapsed as I drove through  town (pure neglect on behalf), we fixed it in a carpark of the Main Street of town as a few drunken locals fought in the street across the road. Got back to our camp at Rebas Underground (would stay there again) just in time for late dinner (was dark by now), had dinner and soon after off your bed. Daughter needs medical treatment at about 2.00 a.m due to being crook as, off to hospital and great service there, though could have done without the lady being brought in to get treated after being bashed by her drunken boyfriend over cigarettes. We get told to come back to hospital in the morning to see the doctor again (he's on call) after daughters temperature is brought under control, so back to camp and get a few hours sleep. Back to hospital next morning and then off to chemist after that where we spend $120 on gear to make our daughter better (it did the job by the way). A quick grocery shop after that and we are off to join friends at the big Cober Pedy sign on the outskirts of town for a quick photo before leaving there. Whilst at the sign I go to walk around the back of the brick (or maybe it was rock) wall that is there, only to find atleast 50 people have taken dumps behind the wall there at some stage, absolutely disgusting. After all that we leave town and head for Oodnadatta...lol.
Can't say we have great memories of Cober Pedy, but it's only because we didn't get to do anything there that we'd planned to do...I'd love to go back and look around the place properly one day.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:40:50 AM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
I'm another 'vote' for seeing Coober Pedy.

We also camped underground at Riba's which was a worthwhile experience.
It's a little out of town (on the William Creek road) too, which isn't a bad thing.

We did that on the way up to the centre, and drove the entire Oodnadatta Track on the way back down, so we saw both.
If I had the choice you've outlined, I'd miss the northern bit of the track rather than missing Coober Pedy.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Alien

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
Look at doing the track to Oodnadatta then head to Coober Pedy through the Painted Desert.
That's our plan next time we are in that part of Aus.
I had a group stay at Riba's with no dramas so they get my vote too, only 5min drive to town but no gates or trouble.
Breakaways are a must if your there overnight, prop near Salt n Peper to get the lookouts as a back drop of the setting sun.

http://www.thepainteddesert.com.au/
http://www.camp-underground.com.au/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:37:59 PM by Alien »

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
Can't say I was a fan of Coober Pedy. Its been a good 15 years since I was there, but the highlight for me was taking this photo:

(Don't mind the Instagram pic - I haven't scanned the photo and that's the only easily accessible version I had to post here!)

The rest of it I didn't find appealing at all. That said I have heard from others that the northern section of the Oodnadatta Track is the most boring. We'll still be doing it later this year. ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
Having done both i suggest going via Coober Pedy and then on to Oodnadatta but make sure you visit the painted desert on the way.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline bevwone

• Swag User
  • Challenge Walk In Deluxe/Meridian Camper
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
My memories of Cober Pedy....

Whilst at the sign I go to walk around the back of the brick (or maybe it was rock) wall that is there, only to find atleast 50 people have taken dumps behind the wall there at some stage, absolutely disgusting.

This sounds right, no shortage of human Shit at the back of buildings or right next door to toilets. But this is no different to other communities or other similar places and it is a different way of life (not condoning bashings - that's just wrong).

It is a rough town no doubt about that - you realise that when in the front bar, hear the stories of bodies in mineshafts or listen to the night life... But it is unique and worth seeing.
Bevan M
2010 GXL 200 TD
Challenge Walk in Deluxe Camper.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
This sounds right, no shortage of human Shit at the back of buildings or right next door to toilets. But this is no different to other communities or other similar places and it is a different way of life (not condoning bashings - that's just wrong).

It is a rough town no doubt about that - you realise that when in the front bar, hear the stories of bodies in mineshafts or listen to the night life... But it is unique and worth seeing.
what I saw of the town didn't seem to bad to me (we saw 2 parts of SFA really), just behind that wall was disgusting. Like I said, I actually want to back there to have a decent look about the place. Whilst I did get to see the uglier side of the town in the brief period we were there, it didn't strike me as being that bad really...there's grubs taking dumps in inappropriate places at many camp areas these days, go to any hospital and it won't be long before a bashing victim comes through the front door, and I've seen plenty of fights over the years outside of pubs...so same stuff happens everywhere, just we saw it all in a 24hr period...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Have done this trip in the reverse.  So coming your way I would take in Cobber Pedy spend a couple of nights (the Big 4 was a good park) certainly visit the Breakaways and the Dog Fence; then across to Oodnadatta - road is quite good and some interesting sites along the way (Pink Roadhouse worth a stop but camp ground only average); then down to William Creek - the pub is good and you can camp (don't buy fuel too dear); then down to Coward Springs (well worth a camp); then onto Maree from whence you can go to Birdsville. Or you could miss Roadhouse and drive straight across to William Creek from Cobber Pedy.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:14:27 PM by Terry W4 »
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
Quote from: RebsWA
but make sure you visit the painted desert on the way.
agree totally!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
Having done both i suggest going via Coober Pedy and then on to Oodnadatta but make sure you visit the painted desert on the way.

x2 lots of interesting things to do there
The place is OK but as above maybe dont be a tight ass and pay for a caravan site for a bit of extra security in the park
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
Another vote for Coober Pedy.  Not that it is a super desirable location, but there's not a lot at Oodnadatta either.   Stay at the Caravan Park right near the highway, or underground.  Other van park was less enjoyable.    Painted hills or painted desert (Arckaringa station) or Breakaways.  Gotta see some of that scenery one way or another.

Are you doing a flight from William Creek?  You could fit in an afternoon one and still get to Coward Springs for the night.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline hawks667

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »
This is the Oodnadatta from Marla to Oodnadatta in 10 minutes...As others have said, its probably to least interesting part of it...

Coober Pedy is an interesting place & the Painted Desert route would be my pick..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQG-TqP9DPY

Prado 120 with all the fruit pulling an Aussie Jays Crusher.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 05:55:45 AM »
This is the Oodnadatta from Marla to Oodnadatta in 10 minutes...As others have said, its probably to least interesting part of it...

The road is in much better condition there than when we last drove it.
The section from the junction down to Oodnadatta was VERY badly cut up.
The mouse plague was an experience.....

Coober Pedy is an interesting place & the Painted Desert route would be my pick..

I've visited CP 3 times, but I wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't conveniently located between Port Augusta and Uluru/Alice Springs.
It's worth a look Mark, if only to cross it off......

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »
We have done both l wouldn't bother with CP if it wasn't on the road to somewhere else . Do do the full track it well worth it just to be able to say so . The mozzies at Coward springs will try you out  but go anyway    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
We stayed at the underground rooms where the spaceship from the movie pitch black is in the main street.