Author Topic: Helinox - lightweight, super compact, camping gear  (Read 26565 times)

Offline leachy_9

• Swag User
Re: Helinox - lightweight, super compact, camping gear
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »
Any current thoughts on the helinox? thinking to save space in the car!
How are they for sitting at a table eating?

TIA :)

I've had two of the Sunset chair for about 3 years and love them. Changing from traditional camp chairs to Helinox saved us a stack of space. They are so compact I leave them in the back of the car permanently. The chairs are very high quality and I find them comfortable. The only downside, apart from the cost, is that because they are so light, they blow over in the wind.
The following users thanked this post: UmJamila

Offline UmJamila

• Swag User
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 11:37:34 PM »
I've had two of the Sunset chair for about 3 years and love them. Changing from traditional camp chairs to Helinox saved us a stack of space. They are so compact I leave them in the back of the car permanently. The chairs are very high quality and I find them comfortable. The only downside, apart from the cost, is that because they are so light, they blow over in the wind.

Thanks leachy :) Do you use this chair to eat at the table? How do you find it for that?

Helinox

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 05:36:13 AM »
@smiles - Fingers crossed we will start sending out backorders next Monday & Tuesday. Apologies for the delay, the last shipment from the factory was delayed at sea.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 06:01:11 AM »
Thanks leachy :) Do you use this chair to eat at the table? How do you find it for that?

We have these. They are in constant regular use for camping and attending kids sport each weekend. I really love the size and weight. They are still like new even though they live in the  car boot and subject to a fair bit of mistreatment by the kids. As mentioned by others the space and weight saving is considerable when you are a family with three or four kids. We also use the cots for kids aged 16-9 from 90kg to 35 kg. Once again size and weight are great. The kids ditched their self inflating mattresses as they decided they weren’t necessary with the cots.

I would think that the chair to table height would be the most important issue. We ate around our camp table fine. YMMV.

Cheers

Shane
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 08:25:10 AM »
Thanks for this information on your products...

Currently looking into lightweight gear as we want to do some overnighters on the Grand Sandy Walk - FI...

I have found websites that conglomerate lightweight products onto one site...

So far - the lightest has been:
Back pack
Tent
2 x Lanterns
Mattress
s/bag
Wearing clothes
Spare clothes/coats and raincoats etc/walking sticks...
2 x water bottles (empty)
Srove burner
Cook set/plates etc

Sub 7kgs ..
approx $600-$700 I think? - per pax..

So will definitely consider your products in that mix.

thx

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
Does anyone who has one miss having arm rests or find the extra set up time annoying.

For things like cycling or hiking they would be perfect but just wondering what people think of the trade off vs a normal camping chair when you are only really physically carrying it a few metres and you generally have a fair bit of space in a car/camper to fit chairs in.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
Does anyone who has one miss having arm rests or find the extra set up time annoying.

For things like cycling or hiking they would be perfect but just wondering what people think of the trade off vs a normal camping chair when you are only really physically carrying it a few metres and you generally have a fair bit of space in a car/camper to fit chairs in.

If you have tons of space and carrying capacity in your vehicle camper, then there are probably more comfortable chairs to consider. I would say because it is light and easy, it is used all the time rather than me thinking that I am not carrying a couple of chairs all that way (think beach, fishing, sports fields etc etc, anywhere where it is more than a few metres away).

Most people with more than two people in the vehicle/camper become very quickly subject to space and weight considerations. We had normal camping chairs and cots but with up to four kids , we couldn't make it work as the volume was simply too great, especially for trips like the Cape, Simpson Desert etc where we need to take a lot of food and water as well.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »

Don't really miss the arm rest, we have two of the larger chairs and the kids have the smaller ones. As others have noted the space saving is amazing especially when you change over 4 chairs. Our front box went from "jump on the lid to close it" to half full.

Set up and pack up time is not much extra, the kids chores on set up and pack up is to get the chairs out and packed up.

The one thing i miss is a drink holder but I am going to see if I can come up with a fix for that over the winter in calibration with Sarah

GG

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies, with 4 kids, 6 chairs do take up a bit of space, I guess the question is do you then just end up taking more other stuff though. The weight saving at maybe 15kg (for a family) is likely only going to be a fraction of a percent of the overall car+camper weight so I don't think for me that would be a massive consideration for me, but space in the car, especially when doing day trips would be a bigger factor and make taking them a lot easier.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
I’m about to purchase Helinox......I have the cheap aldi ones ago but they failed on the second trip....

Convinced us that there is a massive space and weigh saving compared to the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline leachy_9

• Swag User
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »

No we don't use them to eat at table, just plates on laps. But we did the same when we had conventional chairs.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 05:23:27 AM »
A shout out of thanks to Helinox. Was away over the xmas break and we had a failure on one of the aluminium poles, a quick email and we sent it off for a repair under warranty. Got it back yesterday and like new again, the warranty was looked after without a problem.

GG