Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
What would you do?
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
We all get the the "how much?" and "Is that all?" when you do a job but I have one client doing my head in.

I have this client that keeps trying to over pay me everytime I do a job for them. After the first time they tried to overpay by about $200.

After a discussion and refusing to take the money they told me I should take it as they can afford to buy a brand new ferrari everyday for the rest of their life and they wouldn't  run out of money. I said that's not my problem and I can only take what I charge for my work.

Anyway as I do each job the money they try to overpay has turned into fist full of $100 bills and it grows everytime they call me to do work.

Even when I see them in the street they try and give me cash but I keep saying we are all square.

The other day I recon they tried to hand me about $3000 which they tell me is my money. I say you've paid for all the work I've done and that is not my money.

I am a believer of a good days work for a good days pay but just taking money for nothing goes against my belief.

So the question I would like to know is, if someone just offered you a handful of cash would you take it?

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »
Great problem to have!!

They value your service, you probably know stuff that they dont, and thats worth $$ to them having access to your knowledge.

Id keep acceppting it, with your usual reservations, and then find a way of ensuring it does good within your local community.  Donate to local causes in congito. In time, you mite tell the client what youve done.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
Its nice to know there is still honesty and integrity about.

As far as what to do, I'd just be honest with them about how you feel and try to work something out.
If they insist, go with Mace's suggestion or suggest they give you only half what they want and donate the other half to a worthy cause.
Or ask if you can sponsor the local clubs with them money instead.

They are obviously trying to be good people as are you, so put the money to good use and perhaps we can have a thread on here about how to help our community.

And in case I forgot....................
ASK THEM TO GIVE BLOOD AS WELL AS MONEY...............

Blood is so easy to give, free to give, and saves so many lives.
Perhaps there's another my swag thread.
"I donated blood today - thread"

I love it when things are good and people work together as it should be. ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :cup: :cup: :cup:

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
Give me their address, and let me fix something for them and they can hand me the money...

Your problem solved, my problem solved.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:13:54 PM »
Give me their address, and let me fix something for them and they can hand me the money...

Your problem solved, my problem solved.

:cheers: now that's a great solution Bird. Do you think they are genuinely trying to reward you for your efforts or just showing off??? Either way accept it and donate it or put it away for you kids/grand kids
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »

Do they need a good Sparky.. ;D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
:cheers: now that's a great solution Bird. Do you think they are genuinely trying to reward you for your efforts or just showing off??? Either way accept it and donate it or put it away for you kids/grand kids
Don't care, but I can fix their computer for them this arvo, or every day from now until easter.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
If it part of a bigger job they may be over paying to reduce their tax liability some how

If you want to keep the money keep it but put it in a seperate account and hold it there till the end of the next financial year and see if they make a clain for over payment against you
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »
Just one thing to say.....

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
Is your client a drug dealer/bikie? D they want something in return? Wouldn't take that and try not to work for them again.

If they have worked hard/been fortunate and are willing to give you extra you should tell them it is not necessary, but accept graciously and put the money aside for your kids or something. If you feel guilty about it try to think about it in a positive way. Perhaps when you work for someone who can't afford it you can discount their bill in kind.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »
They are very nice people, don't want anything in exchange. Not a bikie or drug dealer and not showing off, the house says a lot.

They know they can call me 24/7 and value my trust. I thinks it's more let me give you this so you can enjoy whatever you want. But taking something that's given and not earn't would not bring joy.

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »
You're being very honourable but.....

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
Take it as a tip. They see you as going over and above and think you deserve more.

No different to a waiter. If they give you better service you are more likely to give a tip (or a bigger one depending on your beliefs).

As for me I would take it but maybe under quote next time.

2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
I often get tips from folks and I use the same line every time.

"Oh you don't have to do that"

They often reply, "I know that, but i'd like to." or something similar.

My reply, Oh look, thanks for that, I really appreciate it" (which I do)

Done deal.

If they didn't want ya to have it, they wouldn't offer and some folks will get offended if you don't take or keep refusing it.

As for that back and forth thing ya see people do for 10 minutes borders on insane.

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline drenno

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
Hi Bullant4x4,
I think it would be easier for you to put it in a different perspective...........................

Firstly, take a look at the gesture, they are appreciative of your work-ethic, time, professionalism and discretion. They wish to recognise that above and beyond your nominated rate, which there is nothing wrong with at all - take it as a compliment.

Secondly, put what they are giving you (or in this case trying to give you) into perspective also - If it was a carton or two of your nominated drink then I'm guessing there would be no issue for you to accept this. For joe-average a carton or two of said beverage is not out of most peoples reach. Now coming back to your clients, they are extremely wealthy, to them the cash they are offering may well be considered to be akin to the carton or two of gratitude offered by us ordinary people.

I think you could happily accept the gift/s and still have your integrity in tact.

regards

Drenno

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »
Hi Bullant4x4,
I think it would be easier for you to put it in a different perspective...........................

Firstly, take a look at the gesture, they are appreciative of your work-ethic, time, professionalism and discretion. They wish to recognise that above and beyond your nominated rate, which there is nothing wrong with at all - take it as a compliment.

Secondly, put what they are giving you (or in this case trying to give you) into perspective also - If it was a carton or two of your nominated drink then I'm guessing there would be no issue for you to accept this. For joe-average a carton or two of said beverage is not out of most peoples reach. Now coming back to your clients, they are extremely wealthy, to them the cash they are offering may well be considered to be akin to the carton or two of gratitude offered by us ordinary people.

I think you could happily accept the gift/s and still have your integrity in tact.

regards

Drenno

This.
The carton used to be the token of appreciation, bonus payment or currency of tipping once upon a time. I remember the garbo used to get a 6 pack on Xmas day. He never refused!

Maybe refuse the money, but suggest if they really want to show extra appreciation, you like (insert favourite grog here), or your Mrs likes (xyz). If it's for the Mrs, you get the additional bonus of the brownie points you score taking said gift home!!!  :cheers: but don't tell her you got it as a gift!

That way, they most likely will give you this gift each time you do a job, and both sides feel appreciated and respected. Takes awkwardness out of the equation also.
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
Bullant,

Take the $$, if these dudes can afford a new Ferrari every day, than slipping you a few hundreds is like the average joe chucking you an extra $5 to buy a beer on the way home :cheers:............... it's all relative mate.

Make hay while the sunshines!!

If you still struggling with the idea, i can send you my Bank Acc details, get them to deposit it there............ i'll look after it for you. ;D

Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
I have a few clients like this................noosa being what noosa is........................I donate the money to the rufc and to the local boardriders with no sponsorship recognition but if I have the opportunity I let the donator know.............usually they are very appreciative and the real work keeps on coming from them and their friends............

Some people have the ability to turn $1 into $100 so let them do their thing and they are happy to spend in kind
God knows one of my best mates just turns Shit into platinum and he's not a greedy bugger and gives money to all sorts of causes......good luck to him I say..........enjoy working for them....

Cheers Nomad.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
Quote from: Mik01 link=topic=39146.msg638404#msg638404 date=1409299884 I remember the garbo used to get a 6 pack on Xmas day. He never refused!
[/quote

I did this last Christmas and the bugger took the beers. About a month later the bin didn't get emptied, he put a sticker on it saying it was too close to the car to pick up. Ungrateful bastard, he got out to put the sticker on, surely he could have moved the bin 500mm to empty it. No more beers for him...

If you are not comfortable taking the money for yourself, take it from him and tell him you are going to donate is to a charity. Win win for all concerned (obviously donate the money, don't just tell him you are haha!)
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline 2impulsiv

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 05:54:53 PM »
You sound like a good bloke, if only there were more people like you in the world. It's a hard one, I could make arguments for both side. Perhaps you could accept and use it to treat you family? Or even a family that's less fortunate.

Again, you seem to be a great role model for the rest of us.

:cheers:

2012 GIC Extreme Off-Road Camping Trailer. Here!
2014 GXL Prado. Here!

Offline BrettMG

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
They are obviously trying to be good people as are you, so put the money to good use and perhaps we can have a thread on here about how to help our community.

And in case I forgot....................
ASK THEM TO GIVE BLOOD AS WELL AS MONEY...............

Blood is so easy to give, free to give, and saves so many lives.
Perhaps there's another my swag thread.
"I donated blood today - thread"

I love it when things are good and people work together as it should be.         

I donated plasma the other day.  Easiest thing in the world. Took an hour, helped a whole lot of others and even got a bit of a feed after it!  Everyone should do this!
2013 Ford Ranger XL
2012 Jayco Swan

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 06:10:36 PM »
To be really honest, the first time, I'd probably take it. If it's regular, I'd start to get uncomfortable.  I'd start getting suspicious and worry about what might be asked in return.

But it sounds like you don't think an expectation of reciprocity is an issue here, so good luck to you, you must do a good job!