Author Topic: Thermomix  (Read 63238 times)

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Thermomix
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 05:47:23 AM »
My wife went to a thermomix demonstration on the weekend. She came home raving about it, and told me she is getting one.
Had to pick myself up.off the floor when she told me the price........
"You want to spend how much on a kitchen appliance ??? "
She gave me that look (guys, you know the one), and said "You want to spend how much on the Pajero!"
Touche!

For those that do have a thermomix, are they really that good? Do you use it enough to justify the cost? Do I upgrade the suspension on the Paj instead? >:D ;D ;D
Cheers
Matt

We have one and I purchased it. it gets used every day and on the weekends it gets a good go as I prepare things for the week, this weekends jobs were

Orange juice both mornings
Strawberry sorbet
pizza dough
strawberry daquari for the adults
spicy capsicum dip
pork spare ribs and rice
sausage
rolls

All the other apliances now sit in the cupboard doing nothing, I think it may be time to move them to the shed as they have become just dust collectors. Also at the moment they have intrest free which is the way I purchased mine, just pay off an amount each month and its not as hard on the back pocket

GG

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
Thanks GG. You had me at sausage rolls  ;D
I didn't realise you could do so much with them, thought they were just a fancy bamix!
Interest free helps as well.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
Yes they are worth it, had ours for five years now, still lives on the bench and used several times a week.
My wife used to be a TM consultant and the easiest sales were when the husband's were at the demonstration! You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk 4
Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Quote from: brickiematt
For those that do have a thermomix, are they really that good? Do you use it enough to justify the cost? Do I upgrade the suspension on the Paj instead?
Go the suspension... if you havent missed it yet, you wont miss it at all.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
Go the suspension... if you havent missed it yet, you wont miss it at all.

True. Wife discovered today she works with a girl who sells these things, and organised for a demo at our place so I can see it in all its glory!
I'll reserve judgement 'til then.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
We've just ordered one and should take delivery at the end of the week.
We actually ended up doing the "poor man pays twice" thing and trying a cheap Kogan one first. Handy, fancy but annoying hot spots in the container that burn on and a terrible burnt plastic smell from the electric motor that just never went away. I was hesitant to throw good money after bad on the real thing but, it's true, being at the demo sold it for me. Bread/pizza dough, curries and stews, sorbets, daquiries, all sorts of goodies.

I wouldn't take it camping but I'm sure we'll use it to pre-prepare some meals for on the road.

Cheers!
Jono.
"Roads?!...Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
Don't buy one it will make you fat  ;D   (or in my case fater)  :cheers:

Offline elle.mac

• Tent User
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
I cannot seem to get keen on the thermomix - however what i have heading my way later this year is the Kenwood Cooking Chef...similar price but way better suited to bigger baking batches :D
2003 120 series Prado (aka the Beast)
2012 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline Jjw1234

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
We have had ours for 3 yrs. we love it. As a large family it's an excellent way to save time and money.

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
My wife came home from the demo and told me the price. After I picked my self up of the floor, I was gently reminded how much I spend on the prado....

Suffice to say we have one, it gets used on average 10 times per week. Food is great, and 12 months on its one of the best purchases we've made.

Wouldn't take it camping in a fit.

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »
Well, ours arrived a few days earlier than expected! Our demonstrator is a friend of my wife and she dropped it around yesterday afternoon so we used it to make a coleslaw for a family dinner we went to last night and I made some biscuits for my kids lunches this morning, bewdiful!!

Cheers!
Jono.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
You do realise that you lot aren't doing me any favours with all your glowing comments on this thing ;D
Biscuits,  sorbet, pizza dough, daiquiris. ........the list goes on! And whipped up seemingly within minutes.
I'm this close to agreeing to getting one, so come on, who's going give me the clincher?!!!!!!............
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
Quote from: brickiematt
You do realise that you lot aren't doing me any favours with all your glowing comments on this thing ;D
Biscuits,  sorbet, pizza dough, daiquiris. ........the list goes on! And whipped up seemingly within minutes.
I'm this close to agreeing to getting one, so come on, who's going give me the clincher?!!!!!!............
yea, just keep telling yourself what you can buy for $2000 that isnt this thing that you wont take camping.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
yea, just keep telling yourself what you can buy for $2000 that isnt this thing that you wont take camping.

Probably quite a lot of stuff! They'd better be bloody good daiquiris ;D
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
No pressure, just do it, I think its made life a lot easier, don't forget the cheesecakes with malteesers, chocolate mousse, and all the other great foods you can knock up. Just to keep it in line, I have taken dough made in it camping, and a couple of great dips which we froze and ate while in the Flinders.

The kids also get a kick out of it when you make the playdo  >:D

GG

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
........ don't forget the cheesecakes with malteesers, chocolate mousse........

Righto, that's the clincher!
Damn you GG ;D ;D
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline phatassphairy

• Swag User
  • BarraBarts better half
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2013, 05:17:19 PM »
Probably quite a lot of stuff! They'd better be bloody good daiquiris ;D

Daiquiris are DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvine

yesterday .... for my steps sisters fam.. I made a linseed focaccia topped with my secret sauce  ;D (which is sweet chilli sauce made in thermo, a dash of BBq sauce, garlic and fresh basil all blitzed then painted on with pastry brush) topped with onion rings, pumpkin slivers, shredded baby spinach sprinkled with small amount of cheese. we also had fresh mango daiquiris, and fresh pineapple and midori slush .....then later for desert ...caramel and hazelnut baileys cocktails....

this morning made a tropical juice punch for the boxing day breaky. oh with perfect hollandaise sauce to top off the eggs :)

And before you say .... there are no pics .... Barrabart is still at work and we won't actually have our xmas until the 3rd of jan ... so I will be repeating the bread at least and maybe a daiquiri/cocktail or 2 :)

And I agree .... I wouldn't take it camping ... just do the prep before hand and freeze and store.
have you ever noticed, that whenever you run into a spiderweb, you turn into a ninja?!

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
my wife makes our own dishwashing powder and clothes washing powder in it also, all nasty chemical free apparently, the only thing it doesnt do so far is brew beer and vacuum the floors......so i bought her a robot vacuum aswell.

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »

Barrabart is still at work and we won't actually have our xmas until the 3rd of jan ... so I will be repeating the bread at least and maybe a daiquiri/cocktail or 2 :)

Roll on 3rd of Jan.......... this bigfella is hungry!! ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »
For those that do have a thermomix, are they really that good? Do you use it enough to justify the cost? Do I upgrade the suspension on the Paj instead? >:D ;D ;D
Cheers
Matt

I did both! Got a 2" lift on the Pajero and got the missus a Thermomix as a surprise Christmas present (brownie points galore). Got to thank the taxman for that this year.

The suspension is awesome, even the missus has noticed that it "drives better". Not sure about the Thermomix yet, haven't even plugged it in but the missus seems to think our lives are about to change haha!!!

The $$$ thing is just the same as the cheap vs expensive camper. They effectively both do the same thing but do it in very different ways.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline phatassphairy

• Swag User
  • BarraBarts better half
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2013, 07:55:05 AM »
I did both! Got a 2" lift on the Pajero and got the missus a Thermomix as a surprise Christmas present (brownie points galore). Got to thank the taxman for that this year.

The suspension is awesome, even the missus has noticed that it "drives better". Not sure about the Thermomix yet, haven't even plugged it in but the missus seems to think our lives are about to change haha!!!

The $$$ thing is just the same as the cheap vs expensive camper. They effectively both do the same thing but do it in very different ways.

Oh Nab ... what a man   :cup:  ..... not only will you get some brownie points ... but you will get fed like king .......

My tip for the beginner is ..... if it says speed 3 .... only do speed 3 .... there is a huge difference between each speed .... it is not like a food processor/ blender where you can go speed 2/3/4 if it states speed 3 .... it will mean the different between coleslaw or vegie juice ...lol

Another tip ...... i now make my own mince ...... lasagna/ spag bol/ sheps pie  now taste so blurt if i eat it anywhere else ... just cant do store bought mince ....but watch for small bones in the meat ....i have actually stripped my blades ..... i was absolutely shattered....i almost was sick at that the thought that i had broken thermie ..... so i called the company directly ... and got a replacement set for free .....AWESOME..... even though it was my fault.

and i have also got the Veroma bowl, thermo server and the thermo scrubbing brush (as a package when i bought mine) ...... so if you are looking for add-ons .. i would suggest these as they are great too.

have you ever noticed, that whenever you run into a spiderweb, you turn into a ninja?!

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
my wife makes our own dishwashing powder and clothes washing powder in it also, all nasty chemical free apparently, the only thing it doesnt do so far is brew beer and vacuum the floors......so i bought her a robot vacuum aswell.
Funniest part about that comment is that technically you can brew beer in it!! But only 2 litres at a time :| Not worth it!

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
Got the Aldi version just before Christmas.  So far I haven't used it at all. Still trying to find something I want to cook in it.  All the recipes seem to involve gluten or dairy.  Very hard to find clean recipes.

If you have any good recipes for this time of year (no, I don't want to make soup or stew), then post them up.

And btw, the Aldi cookbook and video are very light on!  Maybe a dozen recipes, the first of which seemed to involve little more than opening a couple of cans....

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
I have never heard of it until now, I am sure the wife hasn't either. Is it something that can only be bought from a Tupperware party type thing, or from a shop?
Perhaps, I may just say nothing about it to, that $ value finishes all the CT Mods, and fixes the rear diff in the troopy, plus some beers for my work.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
Went to a demo last week and the salesman was huge had to use a porta power to get him through the front door I took a step ladder to climb over him as it was a lot quicker than walking around him - so I decided no on first glance at the bloke that had his own post code ....  I am struggling to get rid of my verandah for my old fella as it is ---  this thermomix will just make it bigger
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:49:41 PM by fishfinder »
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy