Author Topic: cooling the inside of the camper  (Read 3827 times)

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
cooling the inside of the camper
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:48:27 PM »
Hey all:

We drove the 105 series Cruiser back from Melb last weekend towing the "half an 80 series camper".

We took the inland run to be different and to test out the trailer and freecamp on Saturday night at Narrandera since we had puppy with us. (more on the 105 cruiser in a different thread)

to put it bluntly... it was f'n HOT inside the trailer at night.

The trailer is an old 80 series chopped at the "B" pillar and then at an angle through half of the front door lower panels. The front end was then shaped and sheeted in steel plate. Over the XMAS break the father in law and I insulated (with foam insulation sheets from the big green shed) and lined the entire inside front section with ply; plus we built a new bed deck and covered both it and the drawers with carpet.

So basically the inside is nothing but a queen sized bed with an extra 30cm wide strip of carpet at the tailgate end for puppy to sleep on

But on Saturday night... with only the sliding side windows open, it was an oven inside. Must have been 30 degrees easy at 9.30pm. (probably didn't help that we had puppy in there with us...) It was slightly cooler when we opened the side doors. (we sleep head to the front) But still bloody uncomfortable. and open doors invite mozzies...

The side doors have power windows and no power to them. So rectifying that and adding fly screens could help a little. But I'm looking for something more than just "open the doors/windows".

If I want SWMBO to appreciate my love of camping... I need to find a viable solution.

What are my option for cooling the inside? (there is no 12V power in the trailer at the moment, but it's on the list to be done)

Roof exhaust fan?
Whirlygig to vent hot air throughout the day when travelling?
Portable 12V evaporative cooler?
Fans? (roof? walls? windows?)
cheap used van' air con unit?

open to any and all suggestions...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:03:50 PM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: cooling the inside of the camper
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:16:01 PM »
We had a camp in 42C heat sat all the day with  :cheers:in hand & a water spray with fan Spray & fan instant cool down  ,  for a bit . Slipped in the slab by bed time . Cheap cooling & work well  :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
If you're camping with 240vt??   you can get dirt cheap air cons from online stores such as kogan.com.au for circa $300....

Air con is the only effective way out of your heat hell.....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
I assume it was a warm night. But half your problem is all that metal, glass and plastic - storing and radiating heat. I've only ever been able to sleep in cars in winter for this reason.

I'd be looking at getting the windows activated, with screens, and also maybe rig the tailgate with canvas and screens so you can have it open too. Then add a couple of 12v fans.

Aircon for sure if you use powered sites, it's not much of a weight penalty for a trailer that heavy.

2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
This may help.

I recently cut to the shape to fit the inside of all my rear windows of my 80 series windows with silver sun shade that is used for windscreens.
To my amazement, it has made a huge difference in temperature. You can buy this off the roll at clark rubber. It's slightly different, silver lined 4mm black foam but it works.

The other thing is you need some sort of hot air scape on your roof. I'm thinking of something like our Jayco roof vent.

Having said that, there are some nights in the Jayco when there is no breeze, this is when we need some sort of 12v cooler.

Ive had a thought about a 12v fan with a wet cheese cloth hanging in front of the fan...............yep, you have to soak the cloth often.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:20:59 PM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
I'll second the roof vent idea.  Every hardtop caravan/ hybrid thingy you see has at least one roof vent.  Hot air rises, so you want to give it somewhere to go.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »
We have a outdoor connection 12v fan for use in the queensize swag. On particularly hot and sticky nights we use a damp sarong instead of a sheet, works very good.
[insert witty comment]

Offline KathyL

• Tent User
    • Ron & Kathy's Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
Maybe a cooler that doubles as a DIY air conditioner is what is needed ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis
2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Ultimate Xplor GT
Travel Blog:  Not At Home Today

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
Here you go DIY  Evaporative cooler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHbQYajfGqM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:27:25 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:06:11 AM »
Sounds as though the insulation is doing the reverse of what you want at night, by keeping the heat in. To cool it quicker at night consider ways of keeping it cool while on the road and during the day.