Author Topic: How do you secure (lock up) you camper while camping - Easter coming up  (Read 17592 times)

Racer

Re: How do you secure (lock up) you camper while camping - Easter coming up
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
I can offer advice on padlocks, not so long ago we needed to cut one of these padlocks below. Bolt Cutters - NO, Marlin Spike - NO, so next stop was Homaltro hyrdaulic sheers. They eventually made it through after the sheers could not cut through, instead twisted the steel until it snapped inside and took off like a bullet.

A lock is only as good as its chain, I recommend one of those stainless cables!

http://www.lockweb.com.au/en/site/lockweb/Products/?groupId=484&productId=844

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
 Hi 

From the local locksmith I purchased 2 x 1.25M lengths of special security chain, it is meant to be very hard to cut. It came with the black sleeving to protect the wheels from the chain, I also got 2 good quality ABUS padlocks both locks use the one key.

The chains wrap around the wheel and the coil suspension frame nicely.

It cost me approx $290 for the locks and chain, This should make it a bit harder for someone to nick my trailer. Sure I have insurance but I would prefer not to have to claim, to much work went into this Cub Escape.

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=5195.15

Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
I can offer advice on padlocks, not so long ago we needed to cut one of these padlocks below. Bolt Cutters - NO, Marlin Spike - NO, so next stop was Homaltro hyrdaulic sheers. They eventually made it through after the sheers could not cut through, instead twisted the steel until it snapped inside and took off like a bullet.

If you hit down onto the body from the top with a good drift or chisel and a 3lb hammer most will break easily.  I have even done it with a river rock
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:23:47 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
If my camper is setup with an awning and all the other crap that goes with it, then if they have the time to pack it all away and not be seen, then they deserve it  !!!

The most important stuff is in the 4WD.....beer......and the camera !! ;D

The missus sleeps for that long, so they may get unlucky and have to pack her up with it as well !! >:D >:D >:D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Racer

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
If you hit down onto the body from the top with a good drift or chisel and a 3lb hammer most will break easily.  I have even done it with a river rock

I understand what you are saying Darren however that is exactly what a marlin spike is. I am talking the "parrot beaks" carried on a rescue appliance that cut cars open for breakfast. These tools did not cut through the steel.

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
May be worth trying the notice I have on the front window of the house:
"Warning: Armed response. There's nothing in here worth dying for."
Cheers, Tony

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Depending how far away from the camper you are you could fit a paging alarm that alerts you when activated. We mostly stick within a 5km radius of the camp if walking so one of these would probably suffice http://cars2.ebay.com.au/VOYAGER-5000M-2-Way-Pager-Remote-Start-Motorcycle-Alarm_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ180530518991
There are more expensive longer range car models available. You may not make it back to camp in time but at least you are aware and can perhaps notify a Ranger etc before they get to far, or activate your $90 tracking system as mentioned in a post on here yesterday.

Gonewalkabouts

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
Great question and one I can certainly answer so here goes:

If my last trip away to a remote farm property is anything to go by then I don't see security of camper as a problem, mind you if anybody is stupid enough to want to play bush ranger and rob me of my camper while on a hunting trip ( 12 guage shotgun, Win 243 etc) then all I can say is "Good Luck"

Regards

Gonewalkabout ( last of the great white hunters)

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
if i was to happen i do not want to be there

Manjimike

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
There is always the universal key for most locks and chains unfortunately
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Cordless-Lithium-ion-100mm-Grinder/dp/B002SVCDFO

>:D
 :cheers:
Mike

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
yep locks only keep honest people out  :cheers:

Offline RichardW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Out and About from North Rocks, Sydney
    • Profile and Images
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
I've got locks on the all the doors and windows on my hard top camper trailer but rarely use them.
As others do I put a lock through the treg pin and keep all the valuables in the vehicle.
Richard
2005 Landcruiser TD100 & Wallaby Hard Top Camper Trailer
Profile and Images

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
Hi all,
cheers for all the response's and it seems like we are all on the same page, its just a real shame that there is some scum out there and it doesn't matter what we do, we can only keep the honest theives away.......... guess we just have to make it a liitle harder for that low life that thinks my hard earned goods need to find a better home
we do appreciate the input
cheers
Garry

Offline Camping Grant

• The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Such Is Life
    • Grant & Kerryn's Camping Adventures
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »
Hi
When we go away (and when it's at home) the CT has one of these on it's wheel. It keeps the honest people out.  We also never leave valuables in the tent if we go "exploring" as my son likes to put it. 

The way I see it, if they want it that bad that they can afford the time to pack it up, and the risk of getting caught whilst doing it, then they are welcome to it.

Cheers
Grant

tinkera

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 08:00:15 AM »
Reminds me of a mate camping on Straddy a few years back.His dog was keeping them awake this night wouldn,t settle growling draging the chain on the poles mate had look around nothing ended up putting dog in canopy in back 4by to get some sleep.In the morning found both his food and beer eskys gone from inside annex.Found food esky and contents speed out in bush not too far away never found beer esky.Stuffed his week up buying esky more food beer every thing costs twice as much in these places.These A** holes never think about the actions and effects on a guy trying to give his family a holiday on a tight budget.TINKERA.

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Hi all i hae one of those couple mate things that help guide you on to your rig ,when fitted to the vehicle it doubles as a lock for the tow hitch as you cant get the handle up enough to lift the rig if the ball ,i know this is of no use if you are unhitched from the ct but if you are just wandering away and sight seeing it is a good idea
crispy ;D

ps : other than that set a mine feild around campsite with irregular outer edge ensure all personell are aware of minefeild start /finish use m14 only easier to set!

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
On a serious note (if I may). I take it that there are more examples of theft being experienced than perhaps once was the case.

I'm wondering if perhaps there's a trend towards more of it happening on the coast and perhaps less of it elsewhere?

Over at ExploreOZ (I believe it was) I read about fishing gear going missing with hoons walking by spotting the rods and helping themselves. Esky contents went missing and as did a Honda gennie.

I pretty much live on a nice section of the coast and so I prefer more inland camping than the beach version. My logic says that more people frequent the coast than away from the coast, so there's much more likelyhood of encountering 'undesireables' where it's salty than where it's fresh.

I'm wondering if anyone bush camping away from the coast has experienced similar issues with theft because I'm planning a 3 month trip (SW NSW to Kimberleys, up the centre to Alice, Darwin, Kakadu, Kunanurra, Bungle Bungles, Broome) and it would be good to get my stategies sorted for when it's reasonably okay to leave the camper unattended and when it's best to hang around camp playing 'security guard'.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated - Wayne

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 11:54:29 AM »
I traveled NSW for 9 month's and had trouble 2 time's once in Moree and once Wilcannnia both time's cought before to much damage was done, and were right in the town while doing some some work related advertiseing. I offten wonder if the VIC plate's on the car made it a target..and it seemed to be an acknowledged problem in both town's. That's a long time back, thing's may have changed.. I found local people very help full , and after a while you learn to ask the right question's and can get a bit of an idear what's going on in and around a lot of the CP's and town's.   
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »
I have done a fair bit of travel west of the ranges and the outback and have never experienced any issues of this nature. 

When free camping in these areas it is wise to employ the 40/60 principle....that is 40 to 60 klms from town which normally puts you out of range of any 'locals' who may want to get up to a bit of nonsense.

Offline Joey21

• Learning the Ropes

Hi! New here. This is what I guard against:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-4-1-2-in-5-in-Grinder-w-Paddle-Switch-Tool-Only-2880-20/315445886

Similar problems with my ebike locks. They fend off lock cutters but nothing survives against a cordless grinder.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Hi,
    Bonus points for a camp where you leave everything unlocked and the keys stay in the ignition.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline manchu

• Tent User
nothing survives against a cordless grinder.

This does apparently,  but pretty useless for securing a camper.   

https://altorlocks.com/products/saf-lock

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
This does apparently,  but pretty useless for securing a camper.   

https://altorlocks.com/products/saf-lock

"6.2 kgs total weight"

Jeez, you wouldn't want to be carrying it too far ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline manchu

• Tent User
"6.2 kgs total weight"

Jeez, you wouldn't want to be carrying it too far ::)

probably weighs more than some of the bikes its locking up. 

Most people would leave it where they usually lock the bike up I guess.