Author Topic: 18v reciprocating saw - any good?  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Diver

• Tent User
18v reciprocating saw - any good?
« on: December 16, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
I searched topics but couldnt find much about size of wood they handle.   I only want a small one say 18v makita as I have 18v makita drill but know nothing much about them.  All i want to do is cut a bit of firewood without bring out the jacksaw or axe.  What diameter wood will they cut and how do you sharpen a blade.  Not looking for a large proffessional model type - just something that is easy and small.

Thanks

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 18v reciprocating saw - any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »
I've got the brushless 18v Makita.  It's $100 dearer than the entry brushed version. If you can afford it, the extra grunt (and battery efficiency) is worth it.

I've used it a bit for pruning up to 50-75mm  and it works well.  No doubt it would do up to 100-150mm, but would probably take longer than a chainsaw. Not to mention heating the blade up and prematurely destroying it.

I've never tried sharpening the blades, just treat them as disposable.  Buy the best blades you can afford, the cheapies last one cut.  We use the Milwaukee branded blades at work and found them to be the best by a fair whack.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Diver

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
They will cut just short of a blade length before they start jumping on the tip like a jigsaw. I have the ryobi one. Max blade length is about 200mm? Blades are generally disposable and are available at the hardware. Get an aggressive tooth with plenty of set rather than a multi purpose blade. They are no chainsaw but ok for small stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »
Chainsaw V's Recip:

https://youtu.be/CaQt46uGIvY
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
The following users thanked this post: Diver, Ragman

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
I,ve a Milwaukee 18volt reciprocating saw for about 4 years.  It has done a tonne of work.  Just recently it helped cut down a 8 meter palm tree!. I also used it to cut down 6 other large palms around the house.  It is used in place of a small chainsaw.Put a 300mm rough saw blade on it and it worked a treat.  I preferred to use it over my chainsaw as being high up a ladder with a heavy saw wasnt really a smart plan.  I have 2 x 4 amp/hr lithium batteries which help and after 4 years of hard work are still going strong. The saw trimmed the highest leaves/stalks off first and then I proceeded to cut pieces of the trunk, about 350mm thick into 600mm lengths to make dropping to ground easier.  I,ve used the saw for metal, pvc, plastic wood and plywood cutting.  I thoroughly recommend the Milwaukee brand.  Expensive but will outlast the cheaper ones and will always work 100% of the time.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Concur with Bigfish, and I wouldn't bother to re sharpen blades, most are bi metal and will give an acceptable life, like any cutting tool try not to overheat blade as you will shorten its life.
I run the Milwaukee 12 volt RECIPRO in my CT just for cutting the occasional bit of firewood etc and it performs well.
You won't regret adding a RECIPRO saw to your kit, ideal for wood, plastics metals etc with the appropriate blades.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
Chainsaw V's Recip:

As I was saying about using the right blade.
If you can cut quicker by hand you are doing it wrong, and I guarantee I could cut that quicker with my tenon saw, much less a panel or bow saw.

This is the type of blade you want
https://www.bunnings.com.au/diablo-9-5-tpi-reciprocating-saw-blade-for-pruning-2-pack_p6370853
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:09:11 PM by GBC »

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »
Why not just get the Makita battery chainsaw?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
Why not just get the Makita battery chainsaw?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I just need something small to fit in a rear drawer system. but will check physical size of both.  I already have a stihl petrol for big stuff

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
I had a small petrol chainsaw, pain carrying oil and fuel and it leaked. Went to a reciprocating saw for one trip. Now have a battery chainsaw and love it.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
Buy a Chain saw.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
Quote from: barnray
Buy a Chain saw.
he already has one :)

I bought a small Stihl 011 for campfires... but then thats why I have my farmboss LOL

having seen a bloke with small battery operated chainy with a short (around 6/9in bar) it worked brilliant round the fire...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
If you get a Milwaukee then go for the sawzall not the smaller hackzall. The sawzall will cut hardwood post reasonably easy where as the hackzall struggles big time.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 08:53:54 PM »
I have a 18 volt Makita reciprocating saw it wood be great for cutting a few bits of firewood to heat your shower water in a fire drum or cook a feed in the oz pig or something like that, and nice and quite too, it would handle 10cm hardwood no worries with a new blade, I take my full set of 18 volt power tools when I go away with mates camping up north, I charge them with a small $70 12 to 240volt inverter, It mite even be legal in a NP where chain saws are not, Craig   
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »
Chainsaw V's Recip:

Geez Neither of those looked any good. wonder if they had sharp blades?

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 09:03:24 PM »

I've also got the 2X18v chainsaw with a 10 inch blade and its great for camping.  If I  to choose and could only buy one. A decent brushless recip saw has far more uses around the home.

If you get a Milwaukee then go for the sawzall not the smaller hackzall. The sawzall will cut hardwood post reasonably easy where as the hackzall struggles big time.

OP said he already has 18v Makita gear, so would make sense to stick with that.

The Hackzall is the sub compact 12v.  Great gear (love my 3/8 ratchet), but is more suited for thin wall tubing, all thread, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »
I have a 18 volt Makita reciprocating saw it wood be great for cutting a few bits of firewood to heat your shower water in a fire drum or cook a feed in the oz pig or something like that, and nice and quite too, it would handle 10cm hardwood no worries with a new blade, I take my full set of 18 volt power tools when I go away with mates camping up north, I charge them with a small $70 12 to 240volt inverter, It mite even be legal in a NP where chain saws are not, Craig   

It mite even be legal in a NP where chain saws are not, Craig   
[/quote]

No mate...not legal.  The illegal bit is cutting firewood in a National Park.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 06:55:19 AM »
not even to cut up your own off cut bits of sawn timber for fire wood you bring with from home. I know at Inskip you can have round timber and sawn timber off cuts for fire wood, still no chain saws but it is run by NPs rangers not a NP,
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:59:40 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 06:55:32 AM »
Being the tightar$e that I am and for convenience I have a range of Ryobi +one tools including the reciprocal saw. I have given it a fair flogging cutting firewood, tree limbs and a range of other things and it hasn't missed a beat. I reckon I would have had it for about two years now and while I don't use all the time it has had a pretty tough life. In some situations due to space restrictions etc it is a better choice than a chainsaw. Nice and compact also compared to a saw and I don't need to worry about sharpening a chain.

Chainsaws are no doubt better suited to a lot of jobs however weighing up convenience for me the reciprocating saw wins hands down 

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
Ok just revisiting this and thanks for responses .  I have now bought an 18v brushless Makita with a 5 AH battery.  I bought 12 inch blades but find they get a lot of flex.  For those of you that have reciprocating saws can you please tell me the blade length and brand that you find works best for general camping wood.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
I use Sutton tree pruning blades and yes they flex. I found the trick is to cut as close to the guard as possible.
https://www.suttontools.com/products/specialty-reciprocating-blades-tree-pruning-h529/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:53:21 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
Ok just revisiting this and thanks for responses .  I have now bought an 18v brushless Makita with a 5 AH battery.  I bought 12 inch blades but find they get a lot of flex.  For those of you that have reciprocating saws can you please tell me the blade length and brand that you find works best for general camping wood.
Add approx 50mm to your material thickness to allow for stroke length and you will reduce the flex.
75mm material, 125mm blade, 150mm material, 200mm blade etc.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: Diver, plusnq, Fizzie

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
If they flex a lot look down the blade and make sure it's straight. Just bend it back. Small bend in the blade will make it flex as well.
Had Milwaukee, hitachi, ryobi, makita etc. Milwaukee for me. Looked after them with a bit of CRC now and again and they all last pretty well.