Author Topic: New to the CT lifestyle - Introductions  (Read 6552 times)

Offline carlrobertson

• Learning the Ropes
New to the CT lifestyle - Introductions
« on: June 27, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »
Hey myswag crew,

We are just getting into the CT lifestyle. The family, with 2 kids (ages 6 & 4) only recently had our very first experience down at Mt Barney in one of their pre-set up Camper Trailers.

What an amazing time it was, the ability to unwind without a phone and the exploration of the great outdoors with the kids. Unforgettable!!
The kids are begging us to go camping again!

Hence, in the September school Holidays we are hiring a Jayo Swan (to try before we buy). Can't wait!

What tips / essentials does everyone think we need to take? - we will be staying in a Caravan Park in Yamba this time.

Cheers,

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: New to the CT lifestyle - Introductions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:24:49 AM »
Welcome to myswag Carl, sounds like you're on the right track with hire/try before you buy.

As far as tips/essentials, making sure everyone stays warm and dry would be step 1. Other than that, make a checklist so you don't forget things and enjoy yourself. There may be some tension when you are reversing/hitching/setting up etc. maybe have the wife and kids go somewhere else :angel:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:10:30 AM »

Welcome Carl......D4D has given you very good advise..... :cup:..... :cheers: :cheers:

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline carlrobertson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:52:13 AM »
Thanks D4D, reasonably nervous re the reversing of the CT into the site. Hopefully I don't have an audience and things should then go smoothly...

Carl

Offline slowtrip

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:00:44 AM »
Thanks D4D, reasonably nervous re the reversing of the CT into the site. Hopefully I don't have an audience and things should then go smoothly...

Carl

Welcome Carl.

I would be nervous of learning to reverse the CT in front of an audience.   I got around the problem by buying a boat first.  After backing down a crowded boat ramp, anything on level ground seems much easier  :)
Emu SUV Roader Camper

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »

Carl

Welcome to myswag.  Enjoy your trip to Yamba.  It is a great spot.

Watching others back into their site and setup camp is almost better entertainment than a footy final  :D. Don't stress too much mate, we have all been there

KB

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »

Carl

Just do the reversing nice an slow......straighten wheels ...place hand at the top of the steering wheel and don't move hand more than 6 inches either side ....over correction is the worst thing. If trailer goes right... right hand down....trailer go's left ..left hand down.
                                                                         Practice is the answer ( in drive way )

Cheers Tracker.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:34:26 PM by tracker »

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
Hi, welcome to My Swag. Can't give any advice on backing as sometimes it's good  :cup: and sometimes it's bad  >:(.

:cheers:
Cat slave

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
Hi, welcome to My Swag. Can't give any advice on backing as sometimes it's good  :cup: and sometimes it's bad  >:(.

:cheers:

+1.

Practice makes perfect..better.... ;D
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline carlrobertson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, glad I won't be the only one when I get to the camp site having reversing troubles. Hopefully I can practice and then be the one watching everyone else.... Unlikely though.

Any recommendations on Gadgets that are essential when camping with a CT?

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
Thanks everyone, glad I won't be the only one when I get to the camp site having reversing troubles. Hopefully I can practice and then be the one watching everyone else.... Unlikely though.

Beer openers and coolers.......hehehehehe.... ;D ;D :cheers: :cheers:

Cheers Tracker.

Offline GregP

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »
Hi Carlrobertson.  Welcome to Myswag.
Lots of techniques on reversing.
A couple of tips if I may
Only listen to one person if getting advise
Hand on the bottom of the wheel and what ever way you want the trailer to go move your hand in that direction.
It is a lot easier backing distance straight or nearly straight if you have the option then trying to get in turning sharp.
Don't be afraid to make a mistake, go forward and start again.
Cheers,
GregP
GU Patrol

Cavalier Off Road

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »

1) TV
2) dvd/bLUrAY
3) Nintendo/game machine
4) Mobile phones - one for each member of the family

(don't think for a minute the kids will last long without them!!!)

Offline carlrobertson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »

Hi Carlrobertson.  Welcome to Myswag.
Lots of techniques on reversing.
A couple of tips if I may
Only listen to one person if getting advise
Hand on the bottom of the wheel and what ever way you want the trailer to go move your hand in that direction.
It is a lot easier backing distance straight or nearly straight if you have the option then trying to get in turning sharp.
Don't be afraid to make a mistake, go forward and start again.
Cheers,
GregP

Thanks GregP,
Great advice - always looking for the tips on what makes life easier when reversing. Having the hand on the bottom of the wheel makes sense!
Hopefully I can use your advice and pull it off like a intermediate pro....

Offline carlrobertson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »

1) TV
2) dvd/bLUrAY
3) Nintendo/game machine
4) Mobile phones - one for each member of the family

(don't think for a minute the kids will last long without them!!!)

Thanks Slydar,

We are totally trying to get rid of these things. Unfortunately for me, my phone is locked to my hand or within 30cm of due to my job. Therefore we are trying to escape the electronic life and get back to the great outdoors.

I appreciate your advice though - I am sure the kids want that, but unfortunately for them they won't get it. Time with Mum and Dad and Friends is what they will have to cope with during our camping trips....

Cheers,

Carl

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
Welcome. Learning is all part of the fun. Sitting down watching others is funerer! Here's my 2c

Reversing: good advice given already. Over correction stuffs up a lot of newbies. If you find it all going wrong no harm in driving forward to get it all straight again. I find easy long distance reversing easier by looking over my shoulder through the back window, but tight technical reversing easier by using my mirrors. No idea why. I just do.

Essential Gadgets: fridge, cooker, some lights, a lighter and a stove top Espresso maker. The rest is fluff... ;p

Personally I don't care what others bring. If it works for them, great, but we go camping to get away from devices. My greatest pleasure in life is sending the group email that says I'm going camping, won't have email or phone access (even if I do)
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline carlrobertson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »

Welcome. Learning is all part of the fun. Sitting down watching others is funerer! Here's my 2c

Reversing: good advice given already. Over correction stuffs up a lot of newbies. If you find it all going wrong no harm in driving forward to get it all straight again. I find easy long distance reversing easier by looking over my shoulder through the back window, but tight technical reversing easier by using my mirrors. No idea why. I just do.

Essential Gadgets: fridge, cooker, some lights, a lighter and a stove top Espresso maker. The rest is fluff... ;p

Personally I don't care what others bring. If it works for them, great, but we go camping to get away from devices. My greatest pleasure in life is sending the group email that says I'm going camping, won't have email or phone access (even if I do)

True story tk421, learning is always part of the fun!!!

I would have to agree with you re the email subject " Camping - No access to Phone or email!" I just need some discipline when data is accessible to not look at emails of the phone!

I would be interested to know - we are looking at a Jayco Eagle, what (extra) fridge do you have? Brand? Also, what stove top espresso pot have you got? I NEED my GOOD coffee of a morning to operate effectively!

Cheers,

Carl

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
We've got a single 55litre evakool fridgemate FM-55 (the yellow ones) in the tug, nothing in the camper.  Might think about a second similar size later on.  Basic and tough.

We just use an Avanti Stove top/Moka pot with pre-ground beans and heat milk in a saucepan.  http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Category/ProductCategory/TCESPR/40804

Not the same as an espresso machine but it does the job. :)

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Reversing a trailer. Mirrors. Use your mirrors..
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/