Author Topic: Kimberley Kamper Platinum  (Read 15995 times)

Offline Nathan

• Sleeping Bag User
Kimberley Kamper Platinum
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I should start by introducing myself. My name is Nathan (mid 30s) and are looking to buy a new camper trailer. I am struggles to decide whether to get a KK Platinum or Complete Campsite Fraser. I am torn between the brands as the both produce execlent campers.

As my boys and I ride dirt bikes, the Kakadu also interests me by the fact that you can carry dirtbikes. Our tow vehicle is a new Prado which won't limit our choice of camper.

Has anyone else gone through this selection process between KK and CC?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:56:20 PM by Nathan »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Tough decisions KK vs CC
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
Hi Nathan,
First welcome here.
We have the KK SportsRV, which is the "little" brother of the Platinum.
When looking around we had a look at the Complete Campsite, but in our opinion the trailer was too heavy.
At that time we had the Toyota Surf as tow vehicle.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

nbd73

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
Welcome to myswag dude. Don't own either but did a lot if research on these style prior to our family purchase. From what I recall, the above comment is on the money in terms of weight, but CC have a pretty impressive elec set up standard. If you added all the standard inclusions on the CC to the KK the weight would get a lot closer. And from inspection at shows the CC had awesome finish and general appearance. Others who own them will be able to advise on quality etc. Don't discount aussieswag campers from Brendale here in QLD > they are good stuff and some models are now offering 3 batteries from the factory which has got to be good. Best of luck with your hunt, you can't really go wrong with any of these. But if the budget stretched far enuff and have no kids an ultimate would be REALLY nice....

Offline GOLDIE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »
I don't have either as well, but I went to the show to check these two out but then stumbled across the Aussie swag and fell in love.  Have fun.
Cheers, Ryano
Ready to Roll

2010 Goldstream Storm - 2006 Toyota Landcruiser GXL

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:19:20 AM »
Hi Nathan and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
Tough decisions KK vs CC
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »
G'day Nathan and welcome aboard mate. Good luck with the selection both are awesome campers :cheers:

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
Nathan,

Welcome aboard mate.

We went through this exact decision about 9 months ago. Whilst I loved the CC unit, I could not get past the additional weight of the CC, and it is very significant with the new KK's front end. We ended up with a KK Limited that we optioned up with the bits of the Platinum that we wanted. For us alot of the "extras" were not really required.

Either or mate, I am sure you will be happy with either.....I know we are :)

Cheers, Craig
Cheers, Craig

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
G'day & Welcome.

Both good campers, both big and comprehensively kitted out. I like the soft floor CC range more than their hard floor campers.

You'd surely only get one bike on there, or two small mini bikes, before the ball weight became too much.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Nathan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
Well we finally paid a deposit on a new KK Platnium with December delivery.

We accessorised with the following:

Extra water tank
Lithium battery
Limited cooker
Wiring loom for audio system
Alloys and 285BFG AT
Colour coded graphite
Full wall kit
Tropical roof
Kids room
Cover and 5yr warranty

Couldn't be happier with the service from James at SEQ Campers.

Chris F

Re: Tough decisions KK vs CC; Update with Decision
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Nice choice Nathan. Some people prefer the Ltd Edition pantry because you can still access it when things are on the stove top. LB (Myswag member) recently optioned his Platinum with the Ltd Edition pantry. Either way you'll love it  :cheers:

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
 :cup:

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
Good choice, you will enjoy it.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Nathan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »
Nice choice Nathan. Some people prefer the Ltd Edition pantry because you can still access it when things are on the stove top. LB (Myswag member) recently optioned his Platinum with the Ltd Edition pantry. Either way you'll love it  :cheers:

Hi Chris,

I too didn't like the idea of the Platnium kitchen either and optioned down to the Limited Edition version.

We have opted for start December delivery to access whether we want the 2013 upgrades. James has only been informed of a minor change regarding the roof structure frame mount being slightly higher.

We are absolutely stocked with camper and service.

The only decisions yet to make is whether we need a space heater (hot water) or dual zone stereo.

Does anyone have any advice?

Regards,
Nathan

nbd73

Re: Kimberley Kamper Platinum
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
Hot water is a non negotiable. May seem costly, but you won't regret it. Stereo? Depends on price as that's q fairly basic mod you may enjoy doing yourself down the track, unless its too good a bargain from factory.

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Chris F

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »

The only decisions yet to make is whether we need a space heater (hot water) or dual zone stereo.

Does anyone have any advice?

Hi Nathan,

I'm not exactly sure what your heater question is, but there are two heaters available. One apparently runs off the hot water system and is ducted through to under the bed, but is obstructed by the under bed draw. I was advised the stand alone heater is much better. It directs heat straight out into the floor area of the tent. After using ours a number of times I thoroughly recommend it.
We weren't interested in the stereo, we can use the car stereo outside if we want, but we like the peace and quiet when we're camping.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:03:24 AM by Chris F »

Offline Nathan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 07:48:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice Chris. I will speak to the dealer today to discuss.

I will also discuss swapping the treg hitch to a hitchmaster and adding led lighting to the shower with the dealer.

In regards to rims and tires; SEQ Campers have an extreme rim special and will suit the 200 series. James said that the KM2 are noisy and recommended the BFG AT because noise and wear. I wouldn't have thought that wear and noise would be too much of an issue with the trailer.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
Roll-on summer!  ;D

A noisy tyre is a noisy tyre! However on the trailer you may not notice it all the way back there!

Wear; as a trailer tyre does no driving, negligible cornering and minimal braking to wear the tyre, noticable trailer tyre wear is almost always a result of poor suspension geometry design and/or suspension damage. Over-eager electric brakes do plenty of damage, too

You may like 'the look' but unless you need matching tyres to keep the carrying of spares to a minimum (weight, space) in arduous terrain travel, having chunky tyres on a trailer does little more than add to your fuel bill due to the extra energy required to spin them up to speed

Not sure if you are limited by the manufacturer's options list but take a look at the Hyland hitch, too

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:48 AM »
Hi Nathan,

I put up what accessories we went with on our post.

In regards to the heater from everything I have researched the air heater is the way to go.

You can't go wrong with BFG's we have always had them on our 80 series and get five years out of them (and trust me they get a workout). We have matched the tyres on the cruiser with the trailer to make it easier.

Bit of a tip I noticed in a picture Chris F posted that his annex matting fit perfectly under his awning, it is a CGEAR 6m x 2.4m brought one and used it under our gazebo whilst camping last weekend and it is brillant :D

LB
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

bunyip

Kimberley Kamper Platinum
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice Chris. I will speak to the dealer today to discuss.

I will also discuss swapping the treg hitch to a hitchmaster and adding led lighting to the shower with the dealer.

In regards to rims and tires; SEQ Campers have an extreme rim special and will suit the 200 series. James said that the KM2 are noisy and recommended the BFG AT because noise and wear. I wouldn't have thought that wear and noise would be too much of an issue with the trailer.

Hi Nathan,

We discussed different hitches with ExpressTools and Campers before ordering our KK and were told that there may be warranty issues as the factory will only dispatch with the tregg.

Not sure if others have had the same advice but this is what we were told.

Bunyip

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »

The dealer has advised that the Lithium batteries itemized on the invoice and quote are no longer available and that an additional sum of over $3000 is payable. Can anyone advise if they are worth pursuing?

We didn't go with the lithium batteries as we didn't feel the cost was worth it and there were other things that we wanted more.

Just for interest had you signed the quote with the lithium batteries?.

With the water tanks we have decided to leave them seperate. May consider joining them later if we feel its needed.

LB
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »
Hi Nathan,

If its on the quote and you have paid deposit I would think they should have to give them to you unless they are giving you something in exchange.

LB
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »
Nathan,

I would of thought, like the others that if it is on the quote and deposit paid, then just lean and you will get them.

We did not go with these batteries as I like the simplicity of the AGM and to be able to source them elsewhere if needed down the track. I was also a little concerned because I think that keeping them cool is a lot more critical with lithium batteries.

I kept the front tank separate from the main system. If we are doing extended trips, then the front tank gets filled with the drinking water from the tanks at home, this leaves the main tank avaialble and separate in case any of the fills are with "questionable" water. My son seams to have a delicate stomach and does not respond well to changes.

good luck mate.......hope you love yours as much as we love ours :)
Cheers, Craig

Chris F

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
Hi Nathan,

I went for the additional plumbing to use the front tank through the heater. Who ever did it stuffed it up and I had to fix it myself in the end as my dealer is way over the other end of Melbourne. It was so easy to do I would have prefered to save a few bucks and done it myself in the first place.