Author Topic: Is all diesel equal??  (Read 10714 times)

KingBilly

Re: Is all diesel equal??
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 10:42:19 AM »
And that's another topic......if we only import 1/2 of our diesel, why are we paying full market price for it ?

Arab countries make 100% of their fuel and pay almost zero for it......why aren't we paying 50% for our diesel  ?

We could be the lucky country if the powers that be didn't give our assets away !!

Think you are missing a few key facts.  An estimated 91 per cent of Australia's transport fuel (petrol and diesel) is imported either as oil to be refined in Australia or as refined fuel products.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Rural_and_Regional_Affairs_and_Transport/Transport_energy_resilience/Report/c02

KB

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fKxLOTVEnI

KB

Tuned out when I saw that John cadogan dude. His just a human headline
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
Quote from: Shippo
....  and discharge to all the major fuel companies...Mobil..Shell..Caltex etc. Once it was discharged into their tanks it had their own additives mixed in, but it's all originally BP fuel.
I used to do the same with coolant from ICI Botany to a factory out west sydney - tanktainers of the stuff... 2 bottling lines - 5 different companies - just a different colouring in the coolant!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: rockrat

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 05:52:23 PM »
KB, in post #14 you state that "Australia imports around 50% of its Diesel"
Gronk  brings up a question based on the % you stated, but all of a sudden the % is now 91% , yet Gronk is wrong on his facts ??? I'm not real bright mind, so please type with one finger. How is Gronk wrong based on your figures that you posted but he's "missing the acts" ????
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

KingBilly

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 06:10:50 PM »
KB, in post #14 you state that "Australia imports around 50% of its Diesel"
Gronk  brings up a question based on the % you stated, but all of a sudden the % is now 91% , yet Gronk is wrong on his facts ??? I'm not real bright mind, so please type with one finger. How is Gronk wrong based on your figures that you posted but he's "missing the acts" ????

Yep, you are right, you are not a real bright mind Mr Bullfrog.  I suggest you re-read what I posted.  But just for you, I will type really slow with just one finger.

I originally posted that Australia imports 50% of its diesel.  Just for you Mr Bullfrog, that is diesel, the stuff refined from oil and readily available from a service station.

Gronk posted
....if we only import 1/2 of our diesel, why are we paying full market price for it ?
Arab countries make 100% of their fuel and pay almost zero for it......why aren't we paying 50% for our diesel  ?

To which I responded,
An estimated 91 per cent of Australia's transport fuel (petrol and diesel) is imported either as oil to be refined in Australia or as refined fuel products.
  Emphasis added for your benefit Mr Bullfrog.

Can you see the difference now?  The other 50% of diesel used in Australia is refined in Australia from both oversea’s sourced oil or from the small percentage sourced from Australia.

My response was to debunk Gronk’s conspiracy post about why aren’t we only paying 50% for our diesel.

Happy now Mr Bullfrog?

KB
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:12:26 PM by KingBilly »

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
Yep , I did re read your post ( I shut 1 eye so as to match my typing ability). Nowhere did I see a quote of 91%, just the 50%  you stated before being questioned by Gronk. Once again, why state one thing if you mean something else ? You where questioned on what YOU quoted, nothing more. Now you want to shift the goal post to suit your needs & do your best to belittle people for asking. Gee, you sure must be a clever bloke Mr Billy or is that Mr King?  Whichever it is in your mind good luck to you,you're waaay to smart for this poor dumb pr!ck. As Mrs Browm would say "That's nice""
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

KingBilly

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2019, 07:23:14 PM »
Yep , I did re read your post ( I shut 1 eye so as to match my typing ability). Nowhere did I see a quote of 91%, just the 50%  you stated before being questioned by Gronk. Once again, why state one thing if you mean something else ? You where questioned on what YOU quoted, nothing more. Now you want to shift the goal post to suit your needs & do your best to belittle people for asking. Gee, you sure must be a clever bloke Mr Billy or is that Mr King?  Whichever it is in your mind good luck to you,you're waaay to smart for this poor dumb pr!ck. As Mrs Browm would say "That's nice""

WTF, have another read in the morning mate.  No idea where you are getting this sh!t from.  You are confusing two very different facts.  Have a good night.

Oh and it is King, not Mister.  Check your history.

KB

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »

Oh and it is King, not Mister. 
Did I,
Miss something
(cheers)

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »
See... Told you all to get the popcorn....
Puff

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »
Now, this may start one of those sit down with a big bag a popcorn sessions.. But, I have a Hilux with a very highly modified diesel. Old school mechanical injection ect. ect.
I normally run United fuel with the occasional tank of BP if nothing else is available. Now, not that I have ever checked it out but I have been told that United buy what ever fuel is the cheapest. Again, not sure if that's true or not..
But, two points.. The truck 'seem' to run better and further on the United. Second point, every two tanks or so, I drop in 2 stroke engine oil, (mineral only) at 300:1 ratio.
When pulling the van I can actually notice the difference in smoothness and pulling. (torque??)..
Also, we do a lot of trips out west where we only use Puma fuels, usually filled up at unmanned road train pumps.

Bottom line is. I have an anaroid  system fitted to the injection pump controlled by boost pressure and switched via an electrical solenoid effectively giving me the choice of two fuel maps. Out west using Puma we sit on around 110 -120kph and dont use the higher fuel map unless we are passing a train (or a 200 series towing half a house). But in the occasional times where we have needed to fuel up with BP or Caltex, the anariod is left switched on.. So, I guess it's a case of make of it what you think..
WTF ?
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2019, 07:49:26 PM »
I work on the theory I need diesel to make my vehicle go, don't particularly care whose it is as long as it's available. As for one being better than another there are so many variables to my economy, load, towing, wind and my right foot.  :cheers:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 07:56:25 PM »
WTF ?
You cant say you've never heard this one before ??? theres been 213098423948230984 arguments discussions threads no it in the past!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 07:57:59 PM »
I've just done a couple of quick calculations. Over the last 20 years of my working life I've used approximately 260,000 liters of diesel, and I've never noticed any difference in quality or consumption over that time and just filled up where it was cheapest  :D

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

KingBilly

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
I've just done a couple of quick calculations. Over the last 20 years of my working life I've used approximately 260,000 liters of diesel, and I've never noticed any difference in quality or consumption over that time and just filled up where it was cheapest  :D

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

And therin ends the lesson for today.  Class dismissed.

KB

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »

But, is a liter the same amount as a litre? >:D

Gallons aren't gallons, depending where you are.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 08:26:49 PM »

Are you  suggesting it could be Fake News?  ;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
Quote from: xcvator
Over the last 20 years of my working life I've used approximately 260,000 liters of diesel
I thought the Jackaroo was petrol? :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
I thought the Jackaroo was petrol? :D

Der  :-*

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
Having gone through the grief of a bad batch of fuel (it was Shell)  I would buy from any brand that would guarantee that that wouldn't happen again.  I think that is unlikely to happen.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Der  :-*
no wonder you went through so much diesel.. I think... :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »

A liter is a litre is a liter, but american spell checkers don't like litres   :cheers:

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
You cant say you've never heard this one before ??? theres been 213098423948230984 arguments discussions threads no it in the past!

WTF, again, why ?

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2019, 08:50:31 PM »
Having gone through the grief of a bad batch of fuel (it was Shell)  I would buy from any brand that would guarantee that that wouldn't happen again.  I think that is unlikely to happen.

And if one the ways to guarantee that you don't get a bad batch is to get fuel from a servo that is regularly turning over stock, I'd say where I am that rules out Shell... they seem to have the least customers out of all the servos in town. They also have the highest price...

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
Fast running out of popcorn here..

Time to chill out...

Puff

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2019, 09:58:36 PM »

I didn't reply because I was confused as well ??  If we produce 50% of our own diesel, that only leaves 50% we need to import . Wasn't brilliant at maths 40yrs ago, but thought I had 2+2 down pat ????
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra