Author Topic: Your not going O/S for your hol,s what the....  (Read 7991 times)

tinkera

Your not going O/S for your hol,s what the....
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
HI ALL Are more people these days choosing to tour OZ by road rather than do the overseas thing or are they doing both?Just an observation over the last few years I know my plans have changed to more of a OZ flavor.Lots of places to see here as well. Pack up the CT and go go go.make you own travel plans stopover where you like for as long as you like not getting shoved from pillar to post to meet some travel agents plans.Any thoughts?   TINKERA.

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
Re: Your not going O/S for your hol,s what the....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:09:42 PM »
I am "tinkering" with the idea of sitting out the wet season here at Mackay, packing the Jayco Dove again in March and heading north and north west.  I have a mate that wants to fish the Nesbit River, north east of Coen on the cape, in May, but after that I am heading towards NT again.  I love that place - the old pubs like Daly Waters are like a magnet to me.  I might even get over to WA this time.  I have just come back from a 9 week trip up there and itching to get back.

Cheers

Graham
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
My wife and I used to go overseas every year.

Now we have the kids it has changed to travelling within Australia every year. 

We plan on going on a massive world tour by ourselves when the kids are old enough and responsible enough to look after our house themselves.  In the meantime we just keep building the frequent flyer points by using that VISA card for all our daily living expenses!

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
Graham
If you are thinking of the old Gunbarrel at around the beginning of April we might link up for the crossing, we are then going to Broome and Bungles

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Diksta

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Where I Should be
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/gbney01
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
I used to do a fair bit of OS travel but now it is the furtherest thing from my mind, but SWMBO still keeps at me about going to Canada, so iguess i will have to relent at one stage.

SWMBO has done alot more that I on the elow map you can add Turkey, China and India to name a few to her list.

cheers

Diksta
2016 200 Series
1983 60 Series
POTM November 2009 Winner :cup:
2009 POTY Winner :cup:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49966.new#new

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »
Hey Wil, I think you might be a bit early for me to meet you if I go to Nesbit River.  I will keep in touch with you and let you know my movements.

Speewa, if you are reading this, PM sent.

2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
I travel overseas for work and buggered if I want to do that when I'm on holidays. I have red dirt fever and want to keep touring AU. We'll probably take the boy to Disneyland etc. when he is older.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »
That a great idea Disnenyland is for kids of all ages . The firt time you go your a kid again , the rides are brainsnapping . AHHH to just walk down Main st Yeaaa do do Disneyland  ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Yup, I've been to Disneyland and rode the teacups, I was 35 at the time  :-[
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »

I've been overseas. 

Whitsundays, Tassie, South Mole, North Mole, Low Isle, Straddie, Moreton, Bribie ... just to name a few.  Highly over-rated in my opinion.

Give me the Wide Brown Land any day ... much cheaper to stay on the mainland.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »
I sent a reply but don't know what happened to it.  Anyway, here it is again: I am thinking of going over to either Thailand or Philippines in February to have a lot of work done on my teeth.  Be a bloody sight cheaper over there than here.

2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline DAZnBEC

• THE MIGHTY MODCON!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
With a country as great as ours, why would anyone want to travell OS.

We definately will be seeing all the great things this country has to offer and maybe once the kids move on we will expand our wings.

Dazza

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
I've enjoyed traveling OS, as recently as March when we went to Vietnam. I might suggest that a brief interlude somewhere else gives one a renewed appreciation of just how god, and big, Australia is.

The down side of people staying home is that the east coast, for example, is booked solid over the Xmas period.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
We plan on going on a massive world tour by ourselves when the kids are old enough and responsible enough to look after our house themselves.

Good luck with that one, by the time they are responsible enough they have long left home and probably living overseas!
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

tinkera

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Good luck with that one, by the time they are responsible enough they have long left home and probably living overseas!
  x2 We put our lives on hold both worked hard to put the girls through UNI graduated got good paying jobs they have both travelled O/S quite a bit while living at home but now they have moved out leaving us with empty nest now it,s our time but I would rather see more of OZ the wife and I enjoy meeting fellow campers and exploring new places at a slower pace maybe our tastes have changed or maybe the world has changed just a bit.TINKERA 

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
We try to do o/s one year, aus one year.  I enjoy doing both.  I remember when we where at Disneyland in cal, it blew my mind we went the week before Xmas so as well as being Disney world they had Xmas decoration woo hoo. I agree spewa it takes you back to being a kid as soon as I saw the magical kingdom it took me back to Sunday nights 5pm watching the wonderful world of Disney.

Our little fella was 4 at the time and some of the rides he was too small for, although by the time we got to Florida and went to Disney world (about 6 weeks later) he'd growen an inch and could do those rides.

crackacoldie

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
We chose to travel Aus after speeking to some backpackers who knew their homelands intimately.  Our decision was to know ours intimately before we headed OS.  Needless to say it will be several more years before we are even close.  :cheers:

Offline dallp

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »
I am "tinkering" with the idea of sitting out the wet season here at Mackay, packing the Jayco Dove again in March and heading north and north west.  I have a mate that wants to fish the Nesbit River, north east of Coen on the cape, in May, but after that I am heading towards NT again.  I love that place - the old pubs like Daly Waters are like a magnet to me.  I might even get over to WA this time.  I have just come back from a 9 week trip up there and itching to get back.

Cheers

How do  you intend getting to the Nesbitt?
Last time I went was in 1980's and could only be accessed via Silver Plains station. Road was ruff as guts and to my knowledge is not maintained at all. And the creek and fishing was not that flash.
Was a lot easier camping on the Massie River and travelling north each day.
Mind you was a totally different ownership and set up back then.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
We chose to travel Aus after speeking to some backpackers who knew their homelands intimately.  Our decision was to know ours intimately before we headed OS.  Needless to say it will be several more years before we are even close.  :cheers:

I agree, I'd like to see more of my own country before seeing someone elses. Plus I got all the holiday equipment I need here (4wd and camper :cheers:) We want to do a couple of OS holidays for the kids, most notably to have a white christmas. Havent really got any plans apart from that to go OS until we dont have to worry about taking the kids

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 05:56:54 AM »
Dallp,

My mate in Cairns can get a key to the front gate of the property (apparently he is a friend).  I was thinking about taking my Jayco Dove Outback up there, but after reading your reply, I will have to check out the road situation.  I want to keep the Dove for a few more years yet.  Mind you it would have to be bad to beat the Pormpuruuw to Kendall and Holroyd Rivers track.

I know the place hasn't been fished for quite a few years, and it would have to be better than King Ash Bay.

Cheers

2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »
Really why would you need to go OS when its all here if you look . If I was to go anywhere it would be Ashmore Reef  off the WA coast . Havent been yet but its known world wide , so popular they will come in overcrowded leaky boats . Just to say been there done that . Then on to the mainland , why would you want to go anywhere else ? " Listen to that serenity "     :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 06:42:11 AM »
Yes, Speewa, you are right, and I think it got a little more crowded over the past few days.

2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline muttang

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 07:10:29 AM »
Well late last year y we thought about going to Malaysia for Christmas this year but I said no as it would have cost us $6K for a couple of weeks.... So what did I do then? Decided we will go down to Tassie instead and it has since cost me- Camper Trailer $15K, Fridge and Slide $1.5K, Dual Battery System $1K, Spirit Of Tassie $1.5K...... And the list goes on....

Would have been heaps cheaper to go OS but least I have it all set up now for next time.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »
Ashmore Reef  off the WA coast-so popular they will come in overcrowded leaky boats . Just to say been there done that.  :cheers:

Gold Jamie :cup:
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline tropicbird54

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Yay! CT owner at last!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
We just love camping and can't wait to see more of Oz, but also love the excitement of planning and then going on overseas trips too.  Until you've done that first one,  you can't imagine how many everyday "things" can be different in other countries, so the experience is such an eye opener and education.
 We have 3 trips under our belt  - 2001- coach tour of NZ for hubby's 50th,   2004-trip to US for my 50th to meet penfriend of 25 years.   And this year in May, over to Canada - Vancouver/Whistler - to visit son and wife who are there on 12 month working holiday (seemed like a really good reason to go, don't you think???  haha)
JKohn has the right idea -  frequent flyer points are definitely the way to go  -  2 of our trips have been on points - certainly helps to keep the expense down!!
But as Bigjules said,  it also gives you a renewed appreciation of how great it is here and how much space we have. 
So it's great to visit other countries, but always great to come home again.