Author Topic: 4WD’s – Old verses new technology  (Read 18549 times)

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 4WD’s – Old verses new technology
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »
I have a 2000 model petrol 6 cyl cruiser......................

Plus I own it.  ;D

Mark

:cup:
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
I have a 2000 model petrol 6 cyl cruiser that's done 167000 klm and only 25,000 with the recon motor. As much as I would like to upgrade the costs of doing it far out way the costs in holding my current vehicle. I have it set up how I want it and living here in the desert it tackles the corrugations great. Apart from the odd service and a few things to fix it is still a great touring car.

It's worth nothing as a trade in so I would rather spend the money on a nice hybrid etc. also less electronics to worry about. Plus I own it.  ;D

Mark

X2  :cup: :cup: :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »
Yea keeping and repairing is good value but where is the cross over point?

My 1998 prado was neatly faultless for the 17 years I had it (220,000km) worth only $7k when I sold it a few months ago.....will I get that from my 200 series? Dunno, so far nearly 6 years and 150,000km and done way more offroad than the prado. We were always of the opinion to keep our trucks for as long as possible but I question the idea with the 200....right now if the injection goes bad we are up for $10-20k to repair, as it stands if I sell it to buy a new one we would need to fork out $30k to update, getting perilously close to being better to update more often (extras we added not withstanding) than keep, give me another 5 years to work it out :)

I think the best time frame was mid 90's to mid 2000's for good solid trucks

2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Agree that some modern 4bees are pretty capable out of the box probably Moreso than a standard patrol or cruiser (which either aren't much chop as standard anyway). With all th electronic Traction aids and all they go put a lot of the big boys to shame.
Marketing also plays a big part in what a vehicles can vs should be able to do. Don't believe all you see in the ads.
Better safety features are a big plus for the family and good fuel economy is also a good thing.
What I worry about is the longevity of the package and as said previously they are built to last the warranty period.
Still Love my patrol and I've thought about parting with it a few times but just can't find a suitable replacement that I think will have the strength and ability for a reasonable cost, Plus I own it and it does everything I ask of it.
And being fairly modern 2011 it has quite good safety features, quiet, comfortable and ok on the juice.
If I was to upgrade it would be an SUV for the missus and I'd KEEP THE REAL 4WD ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:57:53 PM by Jakster1 »
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 03:43:01 AM »
I have a foot in both camps at the moment. 2015 Pajero and a 96 80 series Cruiser. About the only thing they have in common is that they are both auto and both 4wd. Which would I rather have offroad?..............The Cruiser. Hands down. Does everything  easier. Not that I.ve had this Paj off road, but our 03 NP that we just got rid of, had been wheeled a bit.
Give me the older truck for my style of offroading any day.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
For me its maintain and reco as needed an older truck and upgrade its specs to give the comforts and power and economy [ now theres two words that rarely go together ] of the newer vehicles , as good as the newer electrical artificial intelegence aided whiz bangers are [ To me they breed dumber steerers ] , Where do you start looking amongst all the techno gizzmo and get help with when something goes south out in the back blocks of nowhere  to get it going again .. Guess thats what a sat phone is for . ;D
At least with an old rig, generaly its either a fuel or spark spark problem .. and can be jerry rigged to keep mobile if need be ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »
For me its maintain and reco as needed an older truck and upgrade its specs to give the comforts and power and economy [ now theres two words that rarely go together ] of the newer vehicles , as good as the newer electrical artificial intelegence aided whiz bangers are [ To me they breed dumber steerers ] , Where do you start looking amongst all the techno gizzmo and get help with when something goes south out in the back blocks of nowhere  to get it going again .. Guess thats what a sat phone is for . ;D
At least with an old rig, generaly its either a fuel or spark spark problem .. and can be jerry rigged to keep mobile if need be ..

To be honest most of the new breed have a limp home mode available. The problem is more parts and mechanics that are used to dealing with a particular model.

Offline Andreweasty90

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »

I've got a 2013 Triton that I bought new in the run out sales in March last year. It's got 45k on the clock, about 90% of that is highway. It won't keep a wheel alignment, I'm always having to tighten something up on it that's rattling off inside & out, it's just had a rear leaf spring collapse on it because the journey to Toowoomba & back with a half empty camper trailer was too tough on it & it's thirsty.
I swapped a 2000 model non turbo hilux for this & I'm constantly kicking myself for it. The only two things better about the Triton are it's quieter & the air con works better.
This was meant to be a 10 year car, we are now trying to pay it off fast so we can get rid of it asap.
I want my old banger back again  :'(
i find that strange might just be one built on a Friday  before a long weekend as my 07 ml is never needing anything but basic maintenance i have finally got a rear leaf spring bushing on it way out cause it squeaks a little on bumps but that just gives me an excuse to upgrade the suspension. Im regularly towing the work trailer(1200kgs) and bike trailer with it (600kgs approx) through all sorts of stuff and its never had a problem with alignments have you tired a different tyre store or mechanic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andreweasty90

• Swag User
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »

It's worth nothing as a trade in so I would rather spend the money on a nice hybrid etc. also less electronics to worry about. Plus I own it.  ;D

Mark

A old excavator operator told me once the machine that makes you the most money is the one you own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »
Would agree with the op. If the bank was a little more friendly ( ok a lot more  ;D ) I would be out of my GU and into a Y62 like a fat kid into an icecream.
The older I get the more comfort I crave.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I noticed the ability of a few newer vehicles when we were at Rainbow last. A soft patch of sand opposite our camp stopped many people. But a LOT of newish stock vehicles drove straight through it effortlessly.
Obviously driver experience has a lot to do with it, but there were many, many people there that I'm sure had never even been to the beach before, drive straight through in std vehicles. Many didn't too  ;D

Also a lot of lifted, tyred, accessorised up "trucks" that sank in that sand in almost an instant.  Some egos were tarnished there.  ;D
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 12:02:09 PM »
I noticed the ability of a few newer vehicles when we were at Rainbow last. A soft patch of sand opposite our camp stopped many people. But a LOT of newish stock vehicles drove straight through it effortlessly.
Obviously driver experience has a lot to do with it, but there were many, many people there that I'm sure had never even been to the beach before, drive straight through in std vehicles. Many didn't too  ;D

Also a lot of lifted, tyred, accessorised up "trucks" that sank in that sand in almost an instant.  Some egos were tarnished there.  ;D

I agree, but I also think the auto's play a massive part in it also.
It was also an eye opener watching a stock y62 go the same distance on a travel ramp as a 2inch lifted GU with 33's. Lot to be said for traction control. The thing was rocking on two wheels and wanted to keep going.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »
I miss my old 60 series but it just doesn't compare to my 2008 Prado.   My Prado has gone everywhere my stock 60 series went, faster, using less fuel, in more comfort and with less driver stress. The 60 was costing more than it was worth to keep on the road (rusted, using 2litres of oil per 1000km, transfer case seal gone, crappy single speaker tape deck) but I do miss the gearing in L1 though.

Realistically the newer trucks are going to go most places that most of us want to take them to.
Traction control on the new trucks is just as good in most cases as a locker.
The new autos are brilliant over the old 3 and 4 speeds
I'd rather crash in a modern car than a 60 or 80 series. Roll my 60 series and I would have been squashed flat, my rear passengers would not do as well as they would in my Prado. The passenger cells in cars these days are incredible.
Longevity - who knows, but there are many old trucks that didn't make it and aren't out there being driven, and there are many modern trucks that are still going strong despite the horror stories. There's plenty of fleet D4D Hilux's/GU's out there pushing 400,000km.

Realistically its as much about the driver and picking decent lines as it is about the 4wd technology. If you don't believe me look at his Fiat showing up the locked and loaded Jeeps and Landrovers:

https://www.facebook.com/1407587569463211/videos/1684098471812118/

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
I miss my old 60 series but it just doesn't compare to my 2008 Prado.   My Prado has gone everywhere my stock 60 series went, faster, using less fuel, in more comfort and with less driver stress. The 60 was costing more than it was worth to keep on the road (rusted, using 2litres of oil per 1000km, transfer case seal gone, crappy single speaker tape deck) but I do miss the gearing in L1 though.

Realistically the newer trucks are going to go most places that most of us want to take them to.
Traction control on the new trucks is just as good in most cases as a locker.
The new autos are brilliant over the old 3 and 4 speeds
I'd rather crash in a modern car than a 60 or 80 series. Roll my 60 series and I would have been squashed flat, my rear passengers would not do as well as they would in my Prado. The passenger cells in cars these days are incredible.
Longevity - who knows, but there are many old trucks that didn't make it and aren't out there being driven, and there are many modern trucks that are still going strong despite the horror stories. There's plenty of fleet D4D Hilux's/GU's out there pushing 400,000km.

Realistically its as much about the driver and picking decent lines as it is about the 4wd technology. If you don't believe me look at his Fiat showing up the locked and loaded Jeeps and Landrovers:

https://www.facebook.com/1407587569463211/videos/1684098471812118/
Yeah I miss my old 60 series too, especially the rust holes in the roof during winter, and that feeling of being strapped onto a rampaging snail.
?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
Lol

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »
Yeah I miss my old 60 series too, especially the rust holes in the roof during winter, and that feeling of being strapped onto a rampaging snail.
?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Or the brakes that you never quite knew were going to stop you... stopping... stopping....stopping?  FFS STOP!!!! Phew!
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
I've enjoyed reading this thread as I've just been through the process myself. I have an old R50 (2000) Pathfinder that I've owned since new, never missed a service. In 15 years, I've replaced 3 sets of tyres and 2 batteries ...other than scheduled servicing...she's been a cracker. But, when it came up for rego, and with a pending 4500 trip towing my boat coming up, I had some serious questions to answer.

The tyres were ready for replacing and the suspension was shot, plus, there were the nice'ities that were not as they should be.  Although it would not be my choice of tow vehicle, $$ precluded replacing it with what would have been nice..... So I guess I have now over capitalised in that I've spent about $5k on it. New suspension all round, new  entertainment head set, new speakers, air con back to new, brake controller and Anderson plug added for what I hope wil feed a trailer in the not too distant future..plus the tyres of course. Then the regular service ...tranny included on top.

Have I made the right decision .... Well, once I get past 12 months with hopefully no major dramas, I'll consider the answer a yes.... Everything after that will be a bonus.

As much as a slug as she is....I love my pathy. 😀

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 05:26:20 PM »
Latestarter
you spent $5k on an older car, but if you had changed over for a later model you would have spent many thousands, then probably lost $10k in the first year to depreciation

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »
I have the best of both worlds covered, the FJ45 ute for the rough work and the 200 for the touring

GG

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »
I have always worked on the idea that it is far cheaper to fix what you have than update.
My 80series was purchased 10 years ago with 260k on the clock. Now has done 400k, most towing and off road. Newer vehicles may give a better comfort level but I am more than happy to stay with old technology (or lack of technology), and spend a few $ now and then when things break or wear out. So far have only needed to do a rear diff in all those k's.

same with my '96 pajero escape - and I reckon if I'd looked after the drive line better I may not have had to have the rear diff replaced even if its lsd

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »
Have been tempted to upgrade our 97 Disco 1 300TDI for a while now but would really miss the simplicity of the engine and the fact I can service it myself for around $100 a year as I have done for the past 15 years. Its a low power unit for sure and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding when compared with modern high tech common rail diesels, its also smoky and noisy but it just keeps going and the only issues I have had in all these years have been auto box related. Some blokes on the AULRO forum have got in excess of 1 million km's on the original motors which is impressive and shows what  a low tech diesel can do. Manages to tow our 1000kg camper around without any drama's but if we upgrade to a bigger caravan then that will be the time to look at something with more grunt  ;D
The following users thanked this post: Barry G

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 09:42:32 PM »
New tech.. one bad batch of fuel the world comes to an end... thousands of large bux later.
old tech - **** I ran my GQ with 1/2 a tank of petrol in it by accident once.. just drove home 20+klms.. drained it filled with diesel and 100k klms later still as good as ever
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2015, 04:51:12 AM »
We went from a Ute and a Wagon to just a ute, the ute had 2 airbags only. The wagon 6 airbags ABS, EBD all the good letters. Ask me which one I would rather be in, in a crash, the fancy one. The new ute is also a an Ancap 5 Star I am spending the money doing it up, I may not do the mad 4wd driving now as it is our only car, but its still going off road.
I work as a Paramedic I have been to a lot of accidents, Airbags save lives!!! proper child restraints save lives. I do not plan on having an accident, but!!!
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP

Offline powerd

• Sleeping Bag User
  • I think I have automotive ADHD!
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »
I have read this post with interest.  I am not one of those people who believe older cars are better or that modern vehicles aren't built to last.  I have been buying cars since 1973 and have had many, many different vehicles.  And the older ones were complete rubbish, frankly.  I may have loved them, and they may have helped me to do fantastic things, but frankly, why would anyone want to go back?

None of which explains why I own a 1978 Jaguar XJS, a car which requires more ongoing maintenance than the Sydney Harbour Bridge!  But for its time, it was amazing, and that engine still is. 

My everyday car is a modern, sophisticated, powerful, fuel efficient AWD wagon, beautifully built and incredibly capable, with all the equipment you could ever need.  I do plenty of kms, it is my company car. But my 4WD to tow the camper was a '96 Jackaroo 3.2 petrol, with good offroad tyres.  It was a plodder, super reliable and well built, but drank like a sailor on shore leave, was sluggish, the brakes overheated going downhill with the camper on (until I put big DBAs on it), it struggled uphill when towing and generally drove like an early 1990s 4WD.  But it did what I asked of it, slowly and competently, never missed a beat. 

But I recently bought a bigger, heavier camper, and I am going to go further afield with it now work is less of an impediment.  So I went through the decision process of trading both for a new 4WD with all the bells and whistles, heaps of grunts and traction aids.

Now, I am not frightened of electronics anymore, having taught myself how to maintain and repair modern fuel injected stuff and use a laptop and diagnostic tools.  Trust me, I am no talented mechanic, just a determined plodder who used the internet and skilled friends to help me.  If I can do it, you can.

What did I do?  Buy a shiny new expensive powerful turbodiesel 4WD with the lot?  No.  I bought a mint, later model Jackaroo 3.5 petrol (the diesel is troublesome) and kept the car.  I couldn't give up having a proper car for everyday driving.  Yep, its two regos, the Jackaroo is a bit slow and thirsty by current standards, but its still reasonably capable offroad.  I know my way around it, and I am upgrading plenty of stuff but doing most of it myself.  Little depreciation to come, low purchase cost.

Each to their own I guess.  And I would still like a modern 4WD with the lot down the track.  They do things so well, and so easily.
I have never met a kilowatt I didn't love
In the driveway - '01 Jackaroo 3.5, '95, '11 Skoda Superb V6 AWD wagon, '01 Holden Astra and '11 Triumph Sprint GT. 
In repose, 1978 Jaguar XJS and 1974 Jaguar XJ6 w/ V8
The following users thanked this post: Barry G

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
Yeah it's interesting.
When I have to replace the pathy, I'm now thinking I might go petrol again. Several mechanics have warned me off modern turbo oil burners when a lot of use will be in the city. Given I live in Sydney and a lot of the miles will be stop start, this apparently is not good for them.

One of the issues is that the trend seems to be away from petrol tugs. The most I will be towns is 2T and it won't be that often that it will be lots of miles..... I'm a bit off retirement yet 😀

I would love to hear feedback from people with modern high output low capacity diesels that have clocked up toward 200k kms including a lot of city driving.

Never thought it would be on the radar, but an FJ cruiser with that 4 Orr jobby is looking the goods down the track