Author Topic: 4WD’s – Old verses new technology  (Read 18548 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
4WD’s – Old verses new technology
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
Over the past couple of months I’ve read a couple of threads with owners giving feedback on how well their new Ute or mid-size wagon is performing, but I’ve also see a couple of instances where some of these owners were questioned when they said there new 4WD was equal or better than there old live axle Patrol/Cruiser etc.

I have to be honest and admit up until recently I also questioned how these new 4WD’s could be better than the live axle Patrol/Cruisers as for years these were the kings of 4WDing.

Over the past 12 months I’ve been 4WDing with one mate who owns a Auto Ford ranger which apart from a steel tray is stock standard even with Highway tyres and another mate also has a standard manual BT50 with Dunlop AT tyres, but these are far from an aggressive tyre.

I have a Live axle 100 series Cruiser with a 1HZ which has a 2 inch lift and Bridgestone AT tyres and it’s been my goal for the last 12 months to get these guys stuck or find a track they can’t do or need me to recover them. Our outings have included some severely rutted tracks in the mountains and some soft and chewed up beaches. (I know extreme tracks would be different, but none of us are into those tracks as our 4WD’s are also are daily drives)

During our outings neither of these 4WD’s got stuck and easily kept up with me, but my 2 inch lift did make it a faction easier as there bash plates did cop a bashing. Even on the beach one day we were returning at high tide pushing soft sand and I was constantly changing from 2nd to 3rd where my mate in the manual BT50 held 4th gear.

I have to say I’m personally very impressed with these new technology 4WD’s and it has got me thinking about trading in the Cruiser. These new 4WD’s are have far better fuel economy, more torque for towing the camping and much more comfortable on road.  (If I won Lotto I would buy a twin turbo 200 series Cruiser) but when the times does come to change 4WD’s, a ute could be on the cards. 
The following users thanked this post: callmejoe

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: 4WD’s – Old verses new technology
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
BM, I know what your saying. A friend of mine took her brand new bog standard Isuzu ute up to Fraser with me a few months ago & it was pretty impressive I must say. She showed up a few of the gung ho, certain magazine reading types at Ngkala rocks, much to my enjoyment ;D
However, your still running around with the old 1HZ & I'm still running around in my old '93 1HZ ute with after market turbo. I have my doubts that many of these small, turbo diesel, high output utes will last like ours.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
I have my doubts that many of these small, turbo diesel, high output utes will last like ours.

:cup:
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline two up

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
BM, I know what your saying. A friend of mine took her brand new bog standard Isuzu ute up to Fraser with me a few months ago & it was pretty impressive I must say. She showed up a few of the gung ho, certain magazine reading types at Ngkala rocks, much to my enjoyment ;D
However, your still running around with the old 1HZ & I'm still running around in my old '93 1HZ ute with after market turbo. I have my doubts that many of these small, turbo diesel, high output utes will last like ours.
Steve
Too true, it seems these days that they are made to last the length of the warranty.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
I tend to agree.
My 80 series is 1 owner prior to me and its a 94,
It came with full service history all done by toyota.
Reading through it its never had anything major done and its on about 330k now
Ive got a vibration in the driveline somewhere witch i thinks a uni and ive just done a clutch and all the seals including the rear main witch was leaking other than that everything is 20 years old or so and still going strong

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »
Too true, it seems these days that they are made to last the length of the warranty.

You are 100% right the older cars were built to last, my only concern is with all the new environmental laws on diesel engines how long will it be until you have to fit some aftermarket piece of equipment to meet the current pollution requirements intern affecting the performance and or reliability of the cars?
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
You are 100% right the older cars were built to last, my only concern is with all the new environmental laws on diesel engines how long will it be until you have to fit some aftermarket piece of equipment to meet the current pollution requirements intern affecting the performance and or reliability of the cars?
Im waiting until some cleaver bloke comes up with a hybrid donk to repower all these old trucks.
Its got to happen eventualy,either that or a alternative fuel that isnt petrol,or diesel

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
I've got a 2013 Triton that I bought new in the run out sales in March last year. It's got 45k on the clock, about 90% of that is highway. It won't keep a wheel alignment, I'm always having to tighten something up on it that's rattling off inside & out, it's just had a rear leaf spring collapse on it because the journey to Toowoomba & back with a half empty camper trailer was too tough on it & it's thirsty.
I swapped a 2000 model non turbo hilux for this & I'm constantly kicking myself for it. The only two things better about the Triton are it's quieter & the air con works better.
This was meant to be a 10 year car, we are now trying to pay it off fast so we can get rid of it asap.
I want my old banger back again  :'(

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
Yea I'm on to that. I'm looking for one of those VeeDub sensor thingies ;D
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I have always worked on the idea that it is far cheaper to fix what you have than update.
My 80series was purchased 10 years ago with 260k on the clock. Now has done 400k, most towing and off road. Newer vehicles may give a better comfort level but I am more than happy to stay with old technology (or lack of technology), and spend a few $ now and then when things break or wear out. So far have only needed to do a rear diff in all those k's.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
I have always worked on the idea that it is far cheaper to fix what you have than update.

Can't argue with that.

Forget about running costs, or setup $$$, depreciation is the killer....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
Im waiting until some cleaver bloke comes up with a hybrid donk to repower all these old trucks.

Or pour in used cooking oil (being careful to filter out the old chip bits 1st of course :D) they will run happily on stuff that will see my flash electronic BT50 riding home on a tilt tray and a 4 figure repair bill.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
Unfortionatly mines petrol so that options off the table but having said that its got alot more grunt
I like the look of the 80 series to.
Its a grouse looking bus

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »
Not knocking everyone's choice of transport but the newer vehicles have fan dangled technology like front and side airbags, stability control, ABS and the list goes on. I like this with my family in the car.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »
Not knocking everyone's choice of transport but the newer vehicles have fan dangled technology like front and side airbags, stability control, ABS and the list goes on. I like this with my family in the car.
Theres been a Shitload of accidents older 4x4s that didnt result in deaths because they were better made even minus the safty features.
The only plus of ne vechiles is fuel economy and airbags,and id still argue well built older cars of the 90s ect are stronger and had abs ect so are probably close to as safe unless its a total write off witch would probably render occupants of either knackered.
Fair call new vechiles have alot more safty features but people have been killed by airbags and assisted breaking too

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Never fear........if that ever eventuates Volkswagen will be on the front foot and design an anti pollution gear bypass setup for sure :P
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »
Oh, yeah, there is the whole 'rolling death trap' thing, but they go for ever!

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
Easy fixed.......don't crash......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
Easy fixed.......don't crash......
Exactly
And if you do dont do it in a bambina

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »
Theres been a Shitload of accidents older 4x4s that didnt result in deaths because they were better made even minus the safty features.

Fair call new vechiles have alot more safty features but people have been killed by airbags and assisted breaking too

Reminds me of the arguments when seat belts became compulsory.  So many said they are death traps.  You car is on fire and you are trapped.  Stupid law blah blah blah.  Now we know how they have saved so many lives. Well I hope we all know that.  ??? 
So I wonder how many have been killed by airbags? How many have been saved?  Older cars being stronger, absolutely.  But what about the better crumple zones now in modern cars?    When we looked at buying our 4WD I hated all of the tech stuff and what could go wrong, but now 6 years later I love that stuff.  Mind you where once I could fix a few things now I would not touch a thing.  Way too scary.  ;D    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
I will be sticking with me old 1973 Nissan/Datsun Patrol and the Old Girl ( 1991 GQ Nissan wagon ) for some time yet, But if I win lotto I would buy a new Nissan Patrol’s V with the K56VD 5.6 litre V8 engine.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:29 PM »
Reminds me of the arguments when seat belts became compulsory.     
So I wonder how many have been killed by airbags? How many have been saved? My partner had a slow speed accident, in a modern car, Air bag went off, she suffered sever burn to arms and face from the air bag Older cars being stronger, absolutely.  But what about the better crumple zones now in modern cars?The slow speed accident folded the whole front end in, between the air bag cost and panel damage the car was a right off     When we looked at buying our 4WD I hated all of the tech stuff and what could go wrong, but now 6 years later I love that stuff.  Mind you where once I could fix a few things now I would not touch a thing.  Way too scary.  ;D    Kevin
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »

Reminds me of the arguments when seat belts became compulsory.  So many said they are death traps.  You car is on fire and you are trapped.  Stupid law blah blah blah.  Now we know how they have saved so many lives. Well I hope we all know that.  ??? 
So I wonder how many have been killed by airbags? How many have been saved?  Older cars being stronger, absolutely.  But what about the better crumple zones now in modern cars?    When we looked at buying our 4WD I hated all of the tech stuff and what could go wrong, but now 6 years later I love that stuff.  Mind you where once I could fix a few things now I would not touch a thing.  Way too scary.  ;D    Kevin

Im not talking 40 series,im talking 80 series.
They were years ahead of alot of thier opersition in safty features too.
The no seatbelt arguement is another conversation all together although not relevant to old tech vs new tech it is a no brainer seatbelts save lives.
there has been massive amounts of deaths caused by airbags especialy on childern in restraints in the front seat.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
I have a 2000 model petrol 6 cyl cruiser that's done 167000 klm and only 25,000 with the recon motor. As much as I would like to upgrade the costs of doing it far out way the costs in holding my current vehicle. I have it set up how I want it and living here in the desert it tackles the corrugations great. Apart from the odd service and a few things to fix it is still a great touring car.

It's worth nothing as a trade in so I would rather spend the money on a nice hybrid etc. also less electronics to worry about. Plus I own it.  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline two up

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »
I will be sticking with me old 1973 Nissan/Datsun Patrol and the Old Girl ( 1991 GQ Nissan wagon ) for some time yet, But if I win lotto I would buy a new Nissan Patrol’s V with the K56VD 5.6 litre V8 engine.
Mine is a 93 so a baby. A 62 would be sweet.