Author Topic: 10c Refund on Empty Cans and Bottles  (Read 14828 times)

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
10c Refund on Empty Cans and Bottles
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:54:43 PM »
I'm just cooling down with a nice cold beer after mowing the lawn. After finishing the first can I was reading the fine print ( only had one so far) and there it says "10c refund at SA/NT collection depots in state / territory of purchase". The question I ask is why don't all states do the same thing? It may stop a lot of cans and bottles left at campsites around the country. Does anyone know if it makes a difference in SA or NT?

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

KingBilly

Re: 10c Refund on Empty Cans and Bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
I don't think a 10 cent refund on a can or bottle would stop the knobs leaving them all over the bush unfortunately ;D.

KB

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
 The cans in sa and nt probably say refund only available in qld and wa ;)
Cheers

Justin

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:11:53 PM »
I'm just cooling down with a nice cold beer after mowing the lawn. After finishing the first can I was reading the fine print ( only had one so far) and there it says "10c refund at SA/NT collection depots in state / territory of purchase". The question I ask is why don't all states do the same thing? It may stop a lot of cans and bottles left at campsites around the country. Does anyone know if it makes a difference in SA or NT?

They have had drink container deposit Legislation in SA, and much less litter, for decades.

I believe they are moving that way in NSW. NT tried but the drink lobby won.

The idea bobs up in WA every year or so but big business rules  and it never gets beyond talking.

theins

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
I don't think a 10 cent refund on a can or bottle would stop the knobs leaving them all over the bush unfortunately ;D.

KB

Seems to work in other states (countries as well - Germany for example has a refund system on all bottles), wish they would introduce it in VIC...

Might not stop the knobs, but usually attracts some thrifty people to pick up bottles to claim the refund.. End result is the same - less rubbish out there...

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
Seems to work in other states (countries as well - Germany for example has a refund system on all bottles), wish they would RE-introduce it in VIC...

We had a refund system, but it was scrapped with the introduction of plastic/alloy containers.

Might not stop the knobs, but usually attracts some thrifty people to pick up bottles to claim the refund.. End result is the same - less rubbish out there...

Spot on there, theins.... :cup:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
Definitely works. Vast majority of people take their refundables with them and the ones that get left are picked up by others. We even have some thrifty people who go for walks along main roads and pick up cans and bottles.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
[

KB

quote author=theins link=topic=41960.msg696778#msg696778 date=1424578849]
[/quote]

Theins, your exactly right. This is what happens in SA.
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »
I watched it be introduced a few years ago here in NT, then suspended, now on again. Its not a magic solution, however it does make a noticeable difference. AND the other week I dropped all of ours off and got enough for a slab of beer! gotta love that. We dont have curb side collection, we can do a fair bit of recycling however it all involves packing it in the car and driving some place to drop it off(other glass, paper cardboard, metal)

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
They did it in NZ when I was a kid and the scouts did bottle drives and kids scrounged them up for Pocket money.
We used to do pretty good cashing them in.now it's the same as here....bottles and cans everywhere

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
Yars ago a guy I worked with who lived in SA brought his small Aluminium boat & trailer with pocket money he saved from collecting cans & bottles from work, side of road etc...

Me I'm in favor of it, and at 10c a piece will soon add up into a replacement slab / bottle.

Beverage companies - suck it up and support the efforts in getting your packaging litter off the streets / bush.

Offline evans52

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »
Use to be 5c. When it went up, some hard off people doubled their supplement income. Some kids doubled their pocket money.

I work in Mental Health and have a Client who rides his 3 wheel pushy with a trailer along the highway doing a round trip through various towns (100km's odd) once a month. He does it in a day. He works 30 hours a week also. He makes more collecting bottle and cans doing this trip and around town than he does through his employer.

Offline BadSeed

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:35:52 PM »
We used to collect them from building sites when we were kids.  ;D

It would never take off in WA, the abhorrent Colon Barnett despises the environment.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
Went for an interview the other day at a company that makes aluminium cans, and they mentioned that approx 50% of cans are recycled.  Interesting process how you make cans, just like pottery, just stretch the aluminium dusk to a can shape.  Which is why the sides are thinner

I miss the old glass bottles that you could return for money.
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 05:46:37 PM »
In Japan they have a scheme for plastic drink bottles, when you return them into a vending machine, you get credit for public transport tickets.
Public transport in Japan is amazing.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:57 PM »
In Japan they have a scheme for plastic drink bottles, when you return them into a vending machine, you get credit for public transport tickets.
Public transport in Japan is amazing.

I think this is similar to what the machines in NSW were being trialled for??  I wish they would bring it in to Vic too.

KingBilly

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
Use to be 5c. When it went up, some hard off people doubled their supplement income. Some kids doubled their pocket money.

I work in Mental Health and have a Client who rides his 3 wheel pushy with a trailer along the highway doing a round trip through various towns (100km's odd) once a month. He does it in a day. He works 30 hours a week also. He makes more collecting bottle and cans doing this trip and around town than he does through his employer.

30 hours at a wage of $12 per hour less 20% tax = $288.
To make that $288 from collecting bottles and cans @ 10 cents would require finding and transporting 2880 cans/bottles per week.
Not a bad effort on a pushie.

KB

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:58 PM »
The vending machines are coming and will spread all the country I know guys involved in SA and they have been to places like Denmark and Iceland where recycling is done properly. Just have a look at how well off the SA scouts are, don't think our scouts own basketball stadiums etc

Offline evans52

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
30 hours at a wage of $12 per hour less 20% tax = $288.
To make that $288 from collecting bottles and cans @ 10 cents would require finding and transporting 2880 cans/bottles per week.
Not a bad effort on a pushie.

KB

His pay is around $6 an hour- Disability Employer. I've tried to stop him for the safety factor. Road trains a plenty around my way, but he won't listen. Owns his house. Doesn't watch TV, doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs and he does cart wheels out the front of the Pub on a Saturday night. Good Bloke.

Offline fisher

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
Container deposit legislation (CDL) was introduced into SA in 1977, and since that time SA has had the lowest litter rate of beverage containers in the country.  Currently, less than 2% of litter in SA are beverage containers whereas WA is up around 8-9%.  CDL is a proven litter reduction strategy - it does work.  When those knobs leave them in the bush, someone will pick them up and get their 10 cents.  Return rates for beverage containers in SA is around 80%.  Aluminium is higher again, well over 90% in SA.

The beverage container companies - particularly the major ones - hate it with a passion and go to long lengths to oppose it.  You can be sure that the NSW Govt is under a lot of pressure from those companies to not introduce it.  90% of the population want it - all political parties in SA support it because they can see the benefits to the community.
The following users thanked this post: JCOJ

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »
The consumer must pay surely , the 10 cent fee must be added to the retail price first for them to pay the 10 cents when returned.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
 If that is so that would mean that if introduced in Queensland it would cost me another 3 dollars per 30 pack.  >:( >:( Bugger that , grog is dear enough already. :'( :'(
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
The consumer must pay surely , the 10 cent fee must be added to the retail price first for them to pay the 10 cents when returned.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
 If that is so that would mean that if introduced in Queensland it would cost me another 3 dollars per 30 pack.  >:( >:( Bugger that , grog is dear enough already. :'( :'(

Nothing stopping you claiming the deposit back yourself. Or if you have kids put them in charge and cut back their pocket money!

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »

Yeah, Sol, it did. A huge difference. I lived there when it was introduced and for some years afterwards.

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
I know the last time we went to Reedybrook, one of the fire places we pulled up beside had 37 cans thrown in there and left to burn ???
37x10 = $3.70. Doesn't sound much to us but the kids could make a few bucks going around picking up after the low life's have left.

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe