Author Topic: 4WD TV show spruiking to buy Australian made.  (Read 10834 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
4WD TV show spruiking to buy Australian made.
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
Howdee,

Last night I was channel surfing and stumbled across a 4WD show where they had a group of Australian companies on tour in Australia. Some of these companies were ARB, Piranha and a diesel chip mob plus a couple I couldn’t remember.

They made me laugh as basically they were implying  buying off the internet from Asia means we are buying inferior quality products and we should buy Australian made as we are indirectly buying are children jobs.

The part that made me laugh is if I researched each of the products these companies sell, I guarantee a large percentage would have had some or all the components made in Asia. So it’s okay for them to buy overseas, rebadge and on sell with their profit margin, but it’s not okay for us to go direct.  >:(

I understand buying online from the internet is a lucky draw as some items I’ve bought have been perfect while others have been average to poor, but making a blanket statement about it’s going to inferior is a bit rich.

Just my opinion.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 4WD TV show spruiking to buy Australian made.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
I can understand what they are getting at i think they just have their wording wrong

It should be more worded like buy from Australian Retailers cause even though the product is made over seas they shoul dhave done some R&D to see if the product is suitable for Ozzie conditions

and

If it does go wrong it is easier cause you have a shop to take it back to
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
My camper is Australian made with Aussie canvas, alko running gear, hot dipped Gal chassis and camec parts. That alone is equal or better than more expensive brands  >:D  But, does that make it better....?  The weak point in my camper is the australian made part!  The strong point is the australian made resale.... ;D

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
ARB has a massive manufacturing plant in Asia but say although it's made over there, it's just as good as here. They said on 4WDTV that they only went over there was to be closer to USA, not because it is cheaper labour??????

So is ARB still Aussie or not?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:02:23 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
ARB has a massive manufacturing plant in Asia but say although it's made over there, it's just as good as here. They said on 4WDTV that they only went over there was to be closer to USA, not because it is cheaper labour??????

So is ARB still Aussie or not?

...and it's possible to buy ARB stuff from the US & get it here, for less than you pay in the ARB shop up the road  ??? ??? ???

....and some of it is made in Australia!  ???

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
Most of ARB's gear is made in a huge manufacturing plant in Melbourne. They went overseas as they couldn't keep up with the demand for products and lack of labour available here at one stage

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
Most of ARB's gear is made in a huge manufacturing plant in Melbourne. They went overseas as they couldn't keep up with the demand for products and lack of labour available here at one stage

Aaron

So are they 100% Aussie born and breed, so to say, or are they an Aussie company using overseas labour and products????

I can't see how they are pushing "Only buy Aussie" in one breath but in the next saying, "We are in Asia but nothing has changed but don't buy any other product from those overseas cheap companies as they are poorly made" ?

Kettle or pot? I prefer the wagon wheel
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:50:04 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:57:07 PM »
I just wanted to say I didn’t start this tread to ‘bash’ any of the companies that were on the show as they have to do what they have to do to run their companies profitably.

My beef was trying to convince me everything made overseas is inferior and I should buy off them because it’s Australian made when I know what they sell isn’t all made here. I have a feeling the push by Ebay Asia into Australia has started hurting their profit margins.

Don’t get me wrong as I have used these companies before and I will continue to use them for some products as I believe the R&D and warranty are worth the extra money, But with other products I have no problems shopping on line myself.   

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
I prefer the Aussie made with a family company. Unfortunately most companies go the overseas option just for the $. I don't think anyone's bashing anyone but you can't attack overseas companies if you infact are one yourself, IMHO and 2c
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:03:40 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
I think its fair to say that 99% of the clothes we wear come from asian countries. Not to mention the TV, your phone, computer, household white goods and the vast majority of cars we drive. Thankfully most of it is sold to us by an Australian, well maybe a new Australian, or possibly someone holding a 457 visa, would you believe a student visa ... a martian in a human suit ?

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
After watching MIB, I'll go with your last one lol

Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Howdee,

Last night I was channel surfing and stumbled across a 4WD show where they had a group of Australian companies on tour in Australia. Some of these companies were ARB, Piranha and a diesel chip mob plus a couple I couldn’t remember.

Well not those three.  ARB in particular are a spectacular Australian Company that have branched into the US and Global markets.

But, yeah, hate all those people who bag out cheap chinese stuff.   >:(
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD TV show spruiking to buy Australian made.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
So are they 100% Aussie born and breed, so to say, or are they an Aussie company using overseas labour and products????

I can't see how they are pushing "Only buy Aussie" in one breath but in the next saying, "We are in Asia but nothing has changed but don't buy any other product from those overseas cheap companies as they are poorly made" ?

Kettle or pot? I prefer the wagon wheel

Because it is a factory they own, built and staff and it services mainly their overseas markets to save on shipping costs.

The Australian market is mainly served from their Australian manufacturing facility.

US sales are extreme low margin, high turnover selling from web based stores. They have a market approx 10 times the size of ours so volume makes a huge difference.

Piranha are also an Aussie company started in the backyard of the Johnsons house and still operate in Australia with Aussie made priducts.

Kaymar would be the other one. Also all Aussie and still manufacture their products here in Melbourne.

They are industry leaders in our hobby all started by enthusiasts who needed a product no one was offering. They support our hobby and still manufacture in Australia to support our country and yet still cop questions etc about their motives.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:53:12 PM by ozbogwam »

Offline spinyeel

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
Google Kodiak Flex Bow tent reviews and tell me that all Chinese stuff is poor quality. ;D
The same tents are branded as Dune Eyre in Australia. We have lost the war. Manufacturing is dead in Australia.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
As one bloke explained it, when a company goes to the Asian market they can set a criteria or level of quality they want in their goods compared to what cost they are prepared to pay.  The bigger problem with this is while a company can request the best materials if they do not have the research and development to go with it their product will come out no different to the cheapest product. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline KineticResults

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »
I don't see the need to complain about the guys at 4wdTV spruking. Many forum members are 4wd action readers and don't seem to complain about the constant propaganda from those pages.

I'm sure the message will mature and like the fact that in some areas we have some (many on this forum included) who passionately hold on to the belief Australians can still do it. The point, I think, is that Australians should support, where they can, the companies who pioneered the design NOT the opportunists who copied it, and produced it with the desire to maximise margins.

If Australia allows the design and manufacturing flame to totally go out we will have very little besides our resources to offer in the long term.

My kids strength comes from designing their own bike jumps and then having a go at constructing them..... Or they can spend another round of pocket money on a cheap imported plastic ramp and not learn the lessons of angles and best practices for themselves. Like my Imported knock off compressor the ramp will be discarded broken and not fixable within a short period.

In camping, 4wd and camper trailer terms Australia has fantastic reputation in many cases only matched in some segments by few nationalities. As I see it, if we allow our innovations and reputation to go unsupported then the future will be pretty bleak. Our biggest issue is we have forgotten it is the consumer who has the influence on the outcome.

On the positive side, we are generally a pretty intelligent mob and most will consider the impact of each purchase with the knowledge of the ramifications on person and country. If that extends to supporting by buying a designed and engineered item from an Australian company, even though it's manufactured elsewhere then that's ok. It helps me, the country and my kids.

The whole issue is not black and white and we seem to have past, in many cases, being able to competitively manufacture, but hopefully all is not lost. It is no longer 100% Australian vs import but in some cases supporting the Australian component in the product. If an idea or component of a product is a ripoff of an Australian companies design I have trouble justifying giving my hard earned to someone who, with little or no effort, has copied it. If that company only employs Australians to sell it, not design it, not support it than that's just not what I want Australia to be.

I honestly think this is the message that Simon of 4wdTV is trying to convey - consider more than the purchase price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16:15 AM »
Theres no point putting unreliabale items on your touring or serious offroad rig, cos when you need to go use them, they may let you down when you really need them.
up inthe high country last time, I came accross a couple of 4wders and he had a 200 series, with a cheap winch. It broke the first time he used it.
why spend $50 plus k on a rig, then put a $500 winch on it?
they spend 2 hours in one section that took me 15 seconds to pass.

Make sure your product has had good old AUSSIE research and design and is made to Aussie standards.

Sent by telegram stop
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
I don't see the need to complain about the guys at 4wdTV spruking. Many forum members are 4wd action readers and don't seem to complain about the constant propaganda from those pages.

They are annoying, but at least they don't preach buy Aussie whilst manufacturing and importing Asian products. You know what you get with their gear and where it comes from
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
So you dont mind buying crap that will let you down when you need it the most?

Sent by telegram stop

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
Would be interesting to know how loyal the producers of the show would be to the "buy Aussie made brigade" if companies such as 4wd Super Centre, MDC, GIC etc started throwing some coin at them for advertising on their show.

I wonder if their views and opinions would change then?
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
Guys,

It's a TV show, their income comes from sponsorship and they will push whatever their sponsors are
selling, and judging from some of the advertising content they let at least one of their sponsors run they aren't
interested in checking the accuracy of the content either.

I also seem to remember not so long ago Simon pushing Tiger winches as the bees knees, maybe he still does?

Should we support Australian companies? Simple fact is if you want your kids to have jobs in the future then yes if
possible. Manufacturing in Australia is dieing rapidly, from memory I believe around 70% of us work in local supply
industries, ie companies that earn an income selling or providing services to locals. Can you name one person you know
who works for a company that sells internationally and brings money into the country? I have asked a lot of people that
question over the past few years and not many can!

Another question is do Australian companies deserve our support? Their are some I would recommended and and others
 I now wouldn't due to their unethical sales and marketing tactics. It seems some Australian companies want Australians
 to support them but then they go and use false and deceptive advertising to aggressively push their products and try
 and steal sales from other Australian businesses. It is also sad to see some well know companies pushing their premium
 high profit products when they know in a lot of cases their lower costs products would do a better job, and whats worse
 still they sell the same items overseas cheaper than they do to the local market.

It has also been interesting to see at least a couple of well know Australian icons continue to sell products that haven't
 worked effectively in some vehicles for around 6 years. I find it hard to believe they weren't aware of the issues, if they
 weren't then they should not be marketing in the areas concerned.

I believe the bottom line is yes, support Australian companies when you can even if it costs a little more but only if the
company is also doing the right thing by the Australian public.

I have worked in electronics all my life,I have seen Australia go from a country where we used to manufacture our own
TV's Radio etc to a country were I have to purchase all my components from companies that just import as we no longer
 manufacture anything here. These industries were the breeding grounds for our technical personnel, they were state of
the art manufacturing, many of the highly skilled technicians that went into other fields were trained in these and the old
PMG/Telecom etc, these industries either don't exist now or no longer have training schools, once the current bread of TV
repair men, service personnel, motor car industry techs retire then that will be that in Australia, apart from the hobbyist
there won't be anyone left with skills to be able to repair anything electronic to the component level, forget having your TV
etc serviced, the company that sold it to you won't be interested after the warranty runs out. Same for your car, you can
keep an old model going forever, the newer electronic wonders are a different kettle of fish, once supplies of the modules
and sensors run out that's that unless you can find one of those prehistoric electronics technicians/hobbyists and he can
source or make a substitute component, but then again in this throw away society does it really matter?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:13:25 PM by HKB Electronics »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »
4WD TV is 100% behind australian companies. EMG made a very bold move moving to 4WD supacenter and roo systems etc, and it really upset a huge number of businesses

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
These industries were the breading grounds for out technical personnel, they were state of
the art manufacturing, many of the highly skilled technicians that went into other fields were trained in these and the old
PMG/Telecom etc, these industries either don't exist now or no longer have training schools, once the
current bread of TV repair men, service personnel, motor car industry techs leave disappear then that will be that in Australia,

And that is why Germany/China/ US all subsidize there motor vehicle manufacturing and other industries. Australia will continually dumb down so that we wont have the people to develop or manufacture anything
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
And that is why Germany/China/ US all subsidize there motor vehicle manufacturing and other industries. Australia will continually dumb down so that we wont have the people to develop or manufacture anything
Too late by decades.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »

Would be interesting to know how loyal the producers of the show would be to the "buy Aussie made brigade" if companies such as 4wd Super Centre, MDC, GIC etc started throwing some coin at them for advertising on their show.

I wonder if their views and opinions would change then?

That will never ever happen...

EVER

Guaranteed.

notice that wholesale automatics  dont advertise on 4wd tv anymore?
Cos they started selling 4wd super centre stuff or similar quality stuff.

Sent by telegram stop