Author Topic: Yacht Bed  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Mercrusa

• Learning the Ropes
  • Myles
Yacht Bed
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
We re looking at buying a caravan that has a "Yacht Bed" and am concerned this configuration is not as acceptable as an "Island Bed" which may affect resale value. I would like to hear any opinions on this.
2006 Manual HDJ100
2003 Tvan

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Yacht Bed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »
Ok, what is a "yacht bed"?

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of it.
Mind you, I don't own a yacht either so that figures.....

Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline AllanK

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »
Yep ?????

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
Ok, what is a "yacht bed"?

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of it.
Mind you, I don't own a yacht either so that figures.....

Brian

i'll take a guess being I have no actual idea either....might be the type of bed that runs across the end of a caravan instead of length wise in it, where you need to crawl over your partner getting in and out of bed? Only say that as they mention it's not an island bed. Curious  to hear if I'm right or not though...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »
There are two designs of bed in a caravan. The first being an Island bed where the bed head is positioned at the front and you can usually walk down either side and faces north/south.
The second is the Yacht style where the bed goes across the front of the van from one side to the other or east/west.

Island beds are more popular, take up about two feet more of space, and the bed sometimes is shorter. The yacht style saves more room, the bed can be as long as the width of the van if you want it to, but the negative is one person is on the inside and has to climb over their partner to get out (or in for that matter).

We have a yacht style - I am tall so wanted the extra bed length and we wanted our van as short as possible. We like the design, and space saving aspect, plus it also allowed us to not only have a tunnel boot, but also a Weber Q slide out on one side and another slide out for a freezer on the offside. You can't have these two extra slide outs with an island bed.

As for resale - we haven't tried selling ours yet, but people can only buy what is available so we are not concerned about it.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
As opposed to JCOJ, I saw the last of a "yacht" bed in a soft floor many years ago. No climbing over the missus ( or vice versa ) for us. Plus the latest van is only 1.9m wide ( internal ) and I'm 1.95m tall, so would never work anyway.

Our tiny van has a full queen innerspring bed, whereas most vans with an island bed have only a double or a queen with the corners cut off ??
The most important feature of a van ( or camper ) is the bed, but some van makers seem to make it an after thought ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
Interesting... Our "yacht bed"... the one on yes, you guessed it, our trailable yacht is actually called a V berth.  It is at the front - the pointy end of the craft.  There is nothing east/west about our bed on the boat unless the boat is sailing East or West or berthed and facing East or west.....  Being a V berth we climb in and out over the head of the bed with feet towards the narrow end.  It is wider than a queen size at the end end and tapers towards the front of the boat.  At the pointy end is the choice spot according to ships dog who curls up in her own little nook.
Our previous van had a bed which was east/west was ok but was a pain to make and meant we had to clamber over whoever was on the edge side... not ideal.  Next van when we get much older will have an island bed.  Easier to make, easier to get in and out of....
Desert Lover

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
Not sure about a yacht or island bed.

Missus and I were going to get a water bed but I was afraid that we'd drift apart  ;D ;D
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
But are we talkn "Nth Sth Beds"; "Yacht Beds"   .... or WORK BENCHES? as another poster said in a recent thread; (see the Fraser Island Cape vid) . .....    LOL....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
When we renovate our van, we have decided to move to two single beds - for the small amount of time that we will be using it, it gives us more room and we don't have to climb over each other like the yacht bed (we hate that in out camper trailer!). I plan on making a hollow cupboard in between the beds so I can have a tunnel boot across the back of the van, and still have most of the length of the singles each side to put in another hatch or indoor cupboard if needed.
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline Mercrusa

• Learning the Ropes
  • Myles
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input. There are obvious pros and cons with the yacht bed layout and the problem is I think the pros outweigh the cons and the wife thinks the cons outweigh the pros.
2006 Manual HDJ100
2003 Tvan

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »
So Mercrusa, what actually is a "Yacht Bed"? For us not so smart people.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
I'm asking why your worried so much about resale when you haven't bought it yet, and may have it for 20 years and not be worried at all by the on resale!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mercrusa

• Learning the Ropes
  • Myles
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
A yacht bed runs crossways as opposed to a lengthwise running bed. For the nautical people it is lying athwartships.
The bed configuration factor is but one of many considerations in the big picture and I am doing the research as to make a more informed decision - hopefully.
2006 Manual HDJ100
2003 Tvan

Offline Gandalf the White

• Wise Wandering Wizard
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Feelin great with a 2.8
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
where you need to crawl over your partner getting in and out of bed?
Wow, at my age the thought of the Mrs crawling over me in the night in a yacht has some real merit🤔. Never going to happen however, which is why she ordered the walkup style Camper with the north south bed
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:05:16 PM by Gandalf the White »
How to fall asleep in a chair
1 - sit in a chair
2 - be old
The following users thanked this post: Bad Scott

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »
I'm asking why your worried so much about resale when you haven't bought it yet, and may have it for 20 years and not be worried at all by the on resale!

Agreed, buy what you want and dont worry about the resale - otherwise you would'nt buy anything.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
Well there ya go. Although, the nautical term for bed would be bunk or berth. And a "bed" would be the solid level beams you'd use to build the yacht on, or mount the engine on...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Well there ya go. .

I just googled it and I couldn't find any reference to the orientation of a bed under "yacht bed "....
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
I just googled it and I couldn't find any reference to the orientation of a bed under "yacht bed "....
Me neither, which is why I asked...  ;D

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »

When I first saw it, I thought he was referring to a hammock built for 2 ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03