Author Topic: (2 x Fridge): Owners... Do You have 2 x "Fridge AND Freezer Combos" - or What??  (Read 5861 times)

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
I am getting a van soon - and we are planning to put our twin tub 90ltr Luna on its fridge slide...

The Luna can be operated as a freezer and / or a fridge...

It was suggested by the van people (at Lifestyle) - that its a nice thing to have a 2nd fridge in the truck -
(for extra capacity and for day trips, etc...)      (The Luna used to sit in the truck..)

SO - I have jumped in and bought a "price match Rays > Anaconda" 80ltr Weaco for $900...

But in spite of it being a bargain - I am concerned that the Weaco I bought can only be run as a fridge or a freezer  (not both)...

So whilst its a "bit too late now" - (having bought the thing....); can any myswagers advise me whether I should have had the 2nd fridge (that is to sit in the truck)  - also as combo - (a fridge and a freezer combo??)

I did try to speak with a couple of people about it - prior to my "rushed bargain purchase" ... they said - just run the Weaco on the truck as a "fridge" for the day trips and for overflow (beers / wines etc - at the camp site).... Or as plan 2 - run it as another freezer - where you can bulk haul food for your trips etc...    (This chews more amps of course... but "ok" whilst on the road and in caravan parks etc...)

But I would like to hear what do myswagers have for fridges when:
# They have 1 in the truck
# and 1 in the van

I guess if the consensus is that "better off with 2 x fridges that can operate as a fridge AND a freezer at the same time" - then I can take the Weaco back for a refund - or maybe sell it and recoup the cost...?

Battery capacity is ok to run everything - because I have a total of 490ahs between the truck and the van; and solar is on the shopping list down the track......

cheers

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:27:04 PM by BaseCamp »
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
60L in the truck as a fridge, always on and loaded

32L in the camper as a freezer on longer trips, as a drinks and overflow fridge on short trips

GG

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
We have two fridges, one in the vehicle and one in the camper.  I can not see the sense in spending the extra to get a fridge with a separate freezer compartment.  Just learn how to pack your fridge and by using the thick corrugated cardboard as insulation you can use any fridge as a freezer and fridge. 

Was trying to search for an old article on packing your fridge as a freezer/fridge but haven't found it yet. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!

G'Day Basecamp,
                          I run 60ltr. Waco as fridge and 60ltr. engle fridge/freezer in CT ..Seems to work for me. Have 120 watt solar panel as well as ( if needed ) 50 amp bush power charger which runs off 1kva  honda genset if the sun is not responsive
                                                  Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

theins

We have a 80 Waeco dual zone in the camper, but only ever run as fridge.

On longer trips we have an additional 40l Engel in the back of the D4 set as freezer.

Cheers

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
We decided we wanted as much flexability as possible. We have three Engels, two 40 L and one 15 L. We can run any one as a freezer or a combination of the three, dependant on the length of the trip, power availability and distance from supplies. As has been mentioned previously running them as a freezer requires a healthy supply of 12 volt juice!

We are off to the Cape in late June and will run both the 40 L as fridges in the back of the truck and the 15 L on the back seat between the kids for drinks/lunch on the run.

For us flexability was paramount.

:cheers:

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.
The following users thanked this post: MDS69

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
We run a 60 lt engel in the back of the cruiser and an 80lt waeco in the KK.
I'm inking if changing the 60lt for a smaller 40lt, I don't see the need to run a freezer unless you want ice cream every night.
Just vac seal all your meat before you leave and you don't need to freeze.

Matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Thanks for your replies so far everyone...

It helps to build up a bit of a picture of what folk do ...  (I have never had a van / truck / fridge(s) combination myself, so always learning...  cheers...

I am thinking of running:
>>My new 80ltr Waeco as a FRIDGE - in the back of the truck... and
>> My existing 90ltr Luna twin tub as a FRIDGE & a FREEZER - in the van...

May provide bucket loads of flexibility in the configs..

Cheers

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
40 litre engle in my wagon, primarily as a drinks/spill over fridge, and a 60 litre engle fridge/freezer in my ct, I find this combo works best for us, I can use the 60 as a stand alone fridge, or I can have it as a fridge freezer, I used it like this for our trip to the cape last year, 7 weeks door to door, and was just fantastic.

Swanny

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
We used to just run a 40l Engel in the back of the ute as our old KK doesn't have room for a fridge, and ran as fridge only (except when I got a bit excited and turned the temp control up a notch too high). When we were heading off to the Kimberley last year we purchased a Luna that has a 40l fridge and 10l freezer. Couldn't have been happier. I thought the 10l freezer might have been too small but we had a stack of meat in it, frozen veggies, and at one stage, a box of Magnum ice-creams. The 120w solar panel kept up with the current draw when camped for a few days and the Luna is just about identical in size to the 40l Engel, so fitted in the same spot. We just restocked when in some major towns, but never felt like we needed more than the 50 litre capacity.
If you were worried about needing cold food on day trips, why not freeze some water in a plastic bottle in the 90l Luna and buy yourself a cheap Esky and use them instead. I couldn't imagine wanting to take a lot on a day drive and you won't have the issue of keeping 2 big fridges going.
Just my thoughts.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
We run a 60 lt engel in the back of the cruiser and an 80lt waeco in the KK.
I'm inking if changing the 60lt for a smaller 40lt
swap ya my Engel 40 for your 60 ?? :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: buddha

Offline RallyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
Gday BaseCamp we run a 60ltr in the van as a freezer and a 47ltr in the cruiser as a fridge for drinks and water the van also has an 87ltr fridge in it.

Offline CampAround

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The count down is on...
60 lt fridge in camper, and last trip 35 lt freezer in ute for first half of trip then fridge. Next long trip will try both fridge only with meat vac sealed. Think this will work a treat.

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
swap ya my Engel 40 for your 60 ?? :)

how olds ya 40 ?
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
I run a 32L as a fridge in the car and a 57L in the camper. The 57L has a small freezer compartment but we have no need for it.

Is there any reason you need more that 90L?
What type of camping/touring do you plan on doing?
Do you set up camp and just stay there relaxing for the week or do you day trip all the time?

170L of fridge space is huge if you're only doing weekend trips! The 80L in the tow car would take up a huge amount of space, but if you don't need the space then all good!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
 I run 2 Engels. A 40 as a fridge and a 21 as a freezer. I find this adequate for the two of us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
I run a 32L as a fridge in the car and a 57L in the camper. The 57L has a small freezer compartment but we have no need for it.

Is there any reason you need more that 90L?
What type of camping/touring do you plan on doing?
Do you set up camp and just stay there relaxing for the week or do you day trip all the time?

170L of fridge space is huge if you're only doing weekend trips! The 80L in the tow car would take up a huge amount of space, but if you don't need the space then all good!

Hi mate - here are some answers for you...

"Is there any reason you need more that 90L?"
No specific reason - just don't like to make compromises if space; batteries; and coin can be managed...

"What type of camping/touring do you plan on doing?
Do you set up camp and just stay there relaxing for the week or do you day trip all the time?"

Part of the experience of camping for us is being in wilderness scenic areas in a bit of a Robinson curiso mode...    (Think being parked in private scenic areas on the dunes on the beach at Fraser, etc...)

Part of the 'rituals' we enjoy - is where wifey cooks up very good quality / gourmet meals from scratch...      She gets a lot of pleasure from doing this; (and me and her from eating them)    ;D     I am talking bottles of wine; crystal glassware; Corelle dinner plates; fresh bread rolls; a proper set table; etc...    We are not talking about heating up another plastic bag of frozen spag bog for yet another meal...    (Not having kids assists with these complicated meal regimes as well  LOL).

We're talking Lamb Shanks with all the (fresh) vegs, steamed; or Nasi Breanie; etc

All this means that a lot of food stuffs and ingredients come from the kitchen at home - so it will be nice to have cubic capacity for the refrigeration...

A "typical drinks selection" for an evening meal may entail our choice of red, or white wine, or bubbly; some poppers mixed with soda water; and aperitifs of Smirnof Black; etc...   If possible, a $4 bag of ice goes on the trip as well - (to make it even more magical)...    Note - when reading "or" in this paragraph - please feel free to substitute with "and"  ...  LOL...

We used to operate a slide on that came with 1 x Engel 40 & 1 x Engel 30 (and found this was "barely enough"....)    The 90ltr Luna did meet our needs - but if you want a 2nd fridge for times you are away from the van - may as well make it a 80ltr Waeco (@ $900, nice...).

"The 80L in the tow car"
Its a ute; with a checker plate canopy...    Already has a fridge slide in it from about 2 years ago.
So the "only extra" coin is for the 80Ltr Waeco ....(already purchased on sale for $900)..
I have already pre existing batteries to cope with everything - so as I see it; the coin blowout is circa $200....    eg: a cheaper brand and / or smaller fridge - would still set me back say $700? 

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
Hi Basecamp
I now have a 95 and 46 litre Trailblaza. The 95 will be my fridge in the car as it won't fit in the CT. the 46 will be my freezer in the CT. I can use both as a fridge or freezer. Day trips At home I will take the 46 in the car.  If I wanted to I can lay a piece of plastic down to separate and use it as both. The 95 will be used at home as a freezer. Cheers
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Sounds like you have got the right size fridge then!!!

PS I want to camp near you and "test" the food, you know, just in case....
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Sounds like you have got the right size fridge then!!!

PS I want to camp near you and "test" the food, you know, just in case....

No worries nab - we can pm down the track - once I reach #4 below...    ;D

My next mission around here is to:
(1) Learn how to post pictures...
(2) Take delivery of my as-new ("pre-loved bargain"); Lifestyle AT-11 Evo
(3) Start up a thread *in colour*  :D about my van and tug
(4) Blog etc about up coming trips etc...

Regarding the wife's gourmet cooking expeditions - some of the amazing dinners we have been spoiled with include:
# Lamb Shanks in red wine sauce; fresh steamed veg and coscos; apple pie and ice cream deserts...
# Nasi Bryani (Chicken) on Balmati rice
# Beef Rundun
# Lamb Cutlets
# Massaman Curry

Unless we are feeling tummy-tanked; breakfasts are often crispy bacon; slow fried eggs; hash browns; mushrooms; gourmet sausage; pulp orange juice; toast and marmalade; etc

Big yum factors; :cheers: and all part of the rituals of camping for us...   

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Just my personal set-up, that works well for our circumstances.

We have a 90l twin tub National Luna in the camper. It has the option of running as fridge/fridge, or fridge freezer. it is almost entirely run as fridge/fridge (food in 1 side & drinks in the other).

We also have a 40l Engle in the car that is either used as a fridge when on day trips, or as a freezer when touring.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.