Author Topic: ... but I need a 4wd  (Read 10600 times)

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
Re: ... but I need a 4wd
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:38 PM »
My Dad loved exploring, so our first 4wding experiences until Dad bought our old Patrol were in a VW wagon back in the 70's.

That little wagon went everywhere. I do remember him digging us out of soft sand though on a little track on the way back from a remote beach in the NT as a bushfire was burning all around us. It was an adventure at the time.

If you survive, it was an adventure. If you're injured or need rescuing at great expense, you're an idiot.

Is that how it's defined? ;D

Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
lf you sit around & dream about doing trips & plan about doing trips you start to collect Stuff . The many Mags & TV shows & internet links show us Stuff that can make life easier on the road . So you buy this Stuff & it gets carted around , sometimes it gets a run somewhere to its intended use . Then you read about somebody that dose a trip with 4/5 of 5/8  of SFA & wonder how they did it . Well they did , because they wanted to .
 There was a mob of Blokes that went from Melb to Up North somewhere & it turned to S@#T on them , let me think Oh yes Bourke & Wills . Lots of kit to take with them & still it went bad on them . BUT they had a go & Good on them .
Weather its in the 30s or tomorrow it a case of " Beat the Feet "   ,  do it   ,  have a go  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
 found a yellow Gemini with rollcage and well worked 13B in it.. that'll do me :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
i  got nearly 50 gems ATM.....got a few worthy runners here

my thinkin is jack the the gem up, fit 15" rims with some small AT's, then lock the diff, would go quite good off road, being 900kg will help with durability they are pretty strong in the body

no a/c, no power steering, no fancy electrics and no worries!  :cheers:
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
I've got a zd30, So it would still take me 3 months  ???

What and awesome trip. Must have been a fit bugger as I'm guessing there would have been a fair bit of pushing happening along the way.

That depends on how fast the flatbed can drive  ;D.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
That depends on how fast the flatbed can drive  ;D.

Now theres an idea. I could buy a tilt tray and use the Patrol as a tray topper for sleeping and cooking. Sure to make it home that way, and the winches on those things would get you out of anything.  :cheers:

2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
Now theres an idea. I could buy a tilt tray and use the Patrol as a tray topper for sleeping and cooking. Sure to make it home that way, and the winches on those things would get you out of anything.  :cheers:
take a modern twin cab with you and by the time you need it you'll have a Banana back truck :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
lf you sit around & dream about doing trips & plan about doing trips you start to collect Stuff . The many Mags & TV shows & internet links show us Stuff that can make life easier on the road . So you buy this Stuff & it gets carted around , sometimes it gets a run somewhere to its intended use . Then you read about somebody that dose a trip with 4/5 of 5/8  of SFA & wonder how they did it . Well they did , because they wanted to .
 There was a mob of Blokes that went from Melb to Up North somewhere & it turned to S@#T on them , let me think Oh yes Bourke & Wills . Lots of kit to take with them & still it went bad on them . BUT they had a go & Good on them .
Weather its in the 30s or tomorrow it a case of " Beat the Feet "   ,  do it   ,  have a go  :cheers:

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline JBird

• Tent User
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 10:02:26 AM »
Sounds like fun, reckon I'll stick with the fourby, with air con, dual batteries, fridge, maxtrax and a few other modcons

Just because someone did it like that 80 years ago, does that mean we should still be doing it like that now?
nice way to miss the point.

Posted by: Beachman
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »

I know everyone is going to think I’m a spoil sport, but it’s a fine line between legend and idiot. I’m not denying it would have been an adventure as I’m sure he was a lateral thinker when working out how to tackle the many obstacles he would have encountered. Wonder how many people didn’t survive when doing similar trips and called idiots??

How many of you guys would do a similar trip (No phone to call for help, No winch or snatch straps etc and limited food/water)  and go on a long trip to central Australia knowing there is a good chance you might not survive?

History is worthless to some people lol.

Funny how people say that to do something like this is stupidity, and maybe it is, but doesn't everything start with stupidity in some way? As the old saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention".

When you were younger didn't you used to just do stuff without thinking about it and 9 times out of 10 everything was fine afterwards.

'One PJ Ranger Supercab & goodies with modified AOR Odyssey XR in tow'

Offline Streetkid

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 10:28:54 AM »
Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like crazy. I like this motto.
Happy Customline owner

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »
Wouldnt say the old taxi driver went off on the adventure and didnt plan the trip out in advance ..he pre organised fuel and supply drops along his  planned route ... They might have been game in those days but not stupid ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
nice way to miss the point.

History is worthless to some people lol.

Funny how people say that to do something like this is stupidity, and maybe it is, but doesn't everything start with stupidity in some way? As the old saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention".

When you were younger didn't you used to just do stuff without thinking about it and 9 times out of 10 everything was fine afterwards.
Sorry for posting and expressing my opinion. Should I pm Jbird and Bird in future prior to posting to get the all clear?  ???
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA  ;D

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer