Author Topic: ... but I need a 4wd  (Read 10586 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
... but I need a 4wd
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
This would be a good read.
A descendant of a taxi driver who in 1930 drove three women 11,000-kilometres from Lorne to Darwin and back has likened his bravery to explorers Burke and Wills.

Steve Heard's grandfather Charlie Heard steered the Hudson Super Six Tourer car over sand dunes and through crocodile-infested rivers. Despite often facing no roads and no petrol stations, the party returned safely almost three months later, the only mishap a puncture.

On Thursday at the Oakleigh 13CABS depot, Steve will launch a new book on the odyssey, The World's Longest Taxi Fare by Larry O'Toole.

In May 1930 wealthy property owner Ada Beal approached Charlie in a Geelong street. The 68-year-old spinster wanted to see Australia. She would pay the going rate, plus all expenses, and bring her friends Lil Wilmot and Eileen Glenny.

Steve Heard said Charlie, a WWI veteran who saved up to buy the "car for hire", knew they could die if they broke down. But he had a wife and four children to feed. The gamble paid off, and the trip earned him enough buy a mechanics garage in Birregurra.

The women saw sights few others did in the Depression - the Alice Springs telegraph station, the Devil's Marbles rock formation, and the unfinished Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Charlie's daughter Vemba kept his diary, telegrams and photo album in a wardrobe for 50 years before giving them to gobsmacked nephew Steve.

In 2008 Steve and his four siblings re-enacted the trip in a similar (1928) vintage Essex car. Even backed by a caravan, a tow truck and four-wheel-drive, they struggled. In the far north of South Australia, they dug the Essex out of the sand 13 times.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/steve-heard-hails-grandfathers-1930-transaustralia-cab-fare-20140903-10bz61.html

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: ... but I need a 4wd
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »
So are you saying that when driving on the graded tracks to Birdsville, Mt Dare etc I don't need my diff locks, snorkel, dual batteries, mud tyres, solar panels, ARB fridge, HEMA GPS, sat phone, winch........

Nooooooooooo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:50:10 AM »
So are you saying that when driving on the graded tracks to Birdsville, Mt Dare etc I don't need my diff locks, snorkel, dual batteries, mud tyres, solar panels, ARB fridge, HEMA GPS, sat phone, winch........

Nooooooooooo
you forgot ARB tire deflators.
:cup: :cup: :police: :police: :police: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Even backed by a caravan, a tow truck and four-wheel-drive, they struggled. In the far north of South Australia, they dug the Essex out of the sand 13 times.

Sounds like fun, reckon I'll stick with the fourby, with air con, dual batteries, fridge, maxtrax and a few other modcons

Just because someone did it like that 80 years ago, does that mean we should still be doing it like that now?
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA  ;D

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »

Sounds like fun, reckon I'll stick with the fourby, with air con, dual batteries, fridge, maxtrax and a few other modcons

Just because someone did it like that 80 years ago, does that mean we should still be doing it like that now?
nice way to miss the point.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Well you are part way there doing it now Komattapilla ya got a Landy ..... mmmm second thoughts ya doing it tougher than the bloke in the 1930's jobbie  ;D
Sorry couldnt help myself, but I do have a soft spot for Landies too ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:54:12 AM »
Quote from: edz
Well you are part way there doing it now Komattapilla ya got a Landy ..... mmmm second thoughts ya doing it tougher than the bloke in the 1930's jobbie  ;D
Sorry couldnt help myself, but I do have a soft spot for Landies too ..

isn't the 2015 and 1930 model defender the same thing? They certainly look it...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
Thanks for the link. What an adventure!

Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
What an adventure.. :cup:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
What an adventure.. :cup:
  That should before dementure  ,,,,l think  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »

It's funny how now more often than not people are dragging all the conveniences of home camping with them.
Roast dinners with all the trimmings, gourmet curries, ice cream, cheese biscuits and dips, beer wine spirits etc etc.
Microwave ovens, fans, heaters, electric blankets, coffee machines, bread makers, enough LED lighting to light up an aircraft hanger.......
Mains pressure water via electric pumps, hot showers, flush toilets, queen size innerspring mattresses

Hell I am even guilty of some of the above.

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
I've got a zd30, So it would still take me 3 months  ???

What and awesome trip. Must have been a fit bugger as I'm guessing there would have been a fair bit of pushing happening along the way.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
I'd love to do a trip like one of these in an old car like the family did..  Just to see how hard it really is.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Goose

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life turns on a dime.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
I'd love to do a trip like one of these in an old car like the family did..  Just to see how hard it really is.

To be truly authentic you would need to wear a suit too, like in the picture.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
Quote from: Goose
To be truly authentic you would need to wear a suit too, like in the picture.
I'll supply the suit, hat, and walking stick... Black Diamond can supply and wear the dress ... you supply the car :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
So he did a road trip with 3 chicks. I guess there could have been some benefits but I struggle to keep one happy on a road trip.

Offline CAM PER

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
So he did a road trip with 3 chicks. I guess there could have been some benefits but I struggle to keep one happy on a road trip.

Well on their way to 70 mind you. Probably not too many benefits.

Id love to know how it was done fuel wise. Those old cars must have been thirsty and I can imagine he would have been able to carry too much and there would have been very long stretches between 7Eleven servos.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »
I know everyone is going to think I’m a spoil sport, but it’s a fine line between legend and idiot. I’m not denying it would have been an adventure as I’m sure he was a lateral thinker when working out how to tackle the many obstacles he would have encountered. Wonder how many people didn’t survive when doing similar trips and called idiots??

How many of you guys would do a similar trip (No phone to call for help, No winch or snatch straps etc and limited food/water)  and go on a long trip to central Australia knowing there is a good chance you might not survive?

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
I know everyone is going to think I’m a spoil sport, but it’s a fine line between legend and idiot. I’m not denying it would have been an adventure as I’m sure he was a lateral thinker when working out how to tackle the many obstacles he would have encountered. Wonder how many people didn’t survive when doing similar trips and called idiots??

How many of you guys would do a similar trip (No phone to call for help, No winch or snatch straps etc and limited food/water)  and go on a long trip to central Australia knowing there is a good chance you might not survive?

Agree 100%
It would have been one epic trip and totally awesome but fraught with danger considering the resources available to them, hence my previous post
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA  ;D

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
I love these tales of adventure

I had a fairly clean diesel Gemini and wanted to do something with it before pulling it apart, so I suggested to 2 close mates ( both having many gems as well) that we recreate the wheels comparo road trip between the "new diesel" Gemini and a petrol one fom Sydney to Alice springs........I got blank stares, I guess the spirit of it wasn't shared with them!

Hmmmm......I wonder if a gem has made the cape? :)
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »
I guess at that time, they had the pinnacle of technology, and thought that they were very well prepared. So in their mind it was a well planned adventure.

Love these stories, thanks for posting.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »
I love these tales of adventure

I had a fairly clean diesel Gemini and wanted to do something with it before pulling it apart, so I suggested to 2 close mates ( both having many gems as well) that we recreate the wheels comparo road trip between the "new diesel" Gemini and a petrol one fom Sydney to Alice springs........I got blank stares, I guess the spirit of it wasn't shared with them!

Hmmmm......I wonder if a gem has made the cape? :)
find me a petrol gem and lets do it !!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »
Should be doable, remember the guy who drove Big Red and beyond in a HQ Holden then up to darwin, Also the Moke mob have done  the Cape and desert trips
Top Trek Mokes to Cape York Small | Large

Cape York Tele Track in Ford Falcon Teaser

Cape York, Old Telegraph Track in an Ed Ford Falcon Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:01:42 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »
l travelled from Melb to The Great North West & over the top  & back down the East coast in  a 77 LX Torana  3 on the tree with a 173 red motor . lt was sold with a huge hump behind the drivers seat on the passengers floor    , don't ask .
lts not the Dog in the fight lts the size of the Fight in the Dog  .
 Yes l have 4WD but this means l can travel further up a track to get stuck  just as stuffed as anybody else could be .
You dont really need a 4WD  but they are handy to have  . Your journey time is dependant on how fast you must travel .
                                                                                        :cup:       >:D         :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust