Author Topic: Essential Criterion for a Camper Trailer  (Read 2753 times)

Offline chookduck

• Tent User
Essential Criterion for a Camper Trailer
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
Here is a challenge.  While we all have differing opinions about what makes up a great CT, and differing requirements based upon many factors, can we come up with a list of essential (gotta have verses like to have) criterion that ALL Camper Trailers must posses.  The nice to have become desirable criterion.

Having just gone through the CT selection game with the many great CT rigs out there, I thought this would be an opportunity for MySwag members to provide newbies looking to buy their first CT and CT manufacturers present on this site to see our views.  If the thread can reach some form of agreeance or final list, this should help both people looking for a CT as well as us providing the manufacturers what we want.

So, as first bat I'll open what was essential, vice desirable, for us in a Camper Trailer:
  • Must be able to be erected and packed up quickly and easily by one adult
  • must be lighter than 1000 kg tare to enable a wide range of vehicle to tow it (this may be controversial)
  • must have a tow ball weight of less than 80 kg to enable easy off vehicle maneuvering and vehicle hook up
  • must be capable of going where ever the tow vehicle/person is happy to go
  • must have a dedicated off-road type hitch that is capable of articulation in off-road situations
  • must provide protection from inclement weather and window covers/mesh/doors can be secured from the inside
  • must come with a credible warranty
  • must have sufficient storage/legal cargo load as to not require loading up the tow vehicle
  • Ability to match the track and wheel stud pattern of the CT with the tow vehicle
  • a mounted fire extinguisher
  • a mounted complete spare wheel/tyre
  • an incorporated kitchen unit

Batter two is up.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:42:22 PM by chookduck »
1994 Landcruiser RV 80 and 2014 Ultimate Xplor, previously a Trak Shak Midway

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Essential Criterion for a Camper Trailer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
Here is a challenge.  While we all have differing opinions about what makes up a great CT, and differing requirements based upon many factors, can we come up with a list of essential (gotta have verses like to have) criterion that ALL Camper Trailers must posses.  The nice to have become desirable criterion.

Having just gone through the CT selection game with the many great CT rigs out there, I thought this would be an opportunity for MySwag members to provide newbies looking to buy their first CT and CT manufacturers present on this site to see our views.  If the thread can reach some form of agreeance or final list, this should help both people looking for a CT as well as us providing the manufacturers what we want.

So, as first bat I'll open what was essential, vice desirable, for us in a Camper Trailer:
  • Must be able to be erected and packed up quickly and easily by one adult
  • must be lighter than 1000 kg tare to enable a wide range of vehicle to tow it (this may be controversial)
  • must have a tow ball weight of less than 80 kg to enable easy off vehicle maneuvering and vehicle hook up
  • must be capable of going where ever the tow vehicle/person is happy to go
  • must have a dedicated off-road type hitch that is capable of articulation in off-road situations
  • must provide protection from inclement weather and window covers/mesh/doors can be secured from the inside
  • must come with a credible warranty
  • must have sufficient storage/legal cargo load as to not require loading up the tow vehicle
  • Ability to match the track and wheel stud pattern of the CT with the tow vehicle
  • a mounted fire extinguisher
  • a mounted complete spare wheel/tyre
  • an incorporated kitchen unit

Batter two is up.

Lol. You just summed up our criteria also, probably explains why you have just bought the same camper lol
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
Match the wheels to the tug and use its spare UNLESS you are travelling remote.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:01:23 AM »
I don't think you can have an essential list unless it is an essential list FOR YOU.

A lot of your ideas are common wants/needs of CT buyers but everyone will have their own needs. EG we don't need a kitchen(haven't for the last 5 yrs), no need to match wheels, no need to be lighter than 1000kg, no need to erect quickly by one adult.

Don't get me wrong, your list is a great option list but not an ESSENTIAL list.

Just being a party pooper  :cheers:
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:07 AM »
I pretty much agree with everything.

A camper must not be a pain in the arse to set up.

That is my number one priority.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »
I love our camper, it's extremely tough and well built, but over time have come to realise that my main wants now are pull out drawers in the kitchen instead of cupboards, and storage that can be accessed from outside the camper as well i.e.. don't have to set it up to pack it :(

Oh, and don't get midgy mesh…it doesn't let any air flow through.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:52:07 AM by gclan »
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
A decent sized jockey wheel for manual positioning.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"