Author Topic: Modcon overlander  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Butch

• Learning the Ropes
Modcon overlander
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:45 PM »
Hi everyone

Long time tent camper and the family is moving up in the world to a trailer as we mow have three young boys under 5. We love our camping. We are looking at a mod con overlander in the 2006-2007 model range and we wanted to know what people thought of them (pros and cons).

When did modcon stop making them and how much were they new as most we have looked at are between 8500 to $11000 dollars for a 6 year old model.

Thanks in advance- we love this site,

KingBilly

Re: Modcon overlander
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum Butch. Know two owners of Modcons and both are very happy with them.  Look forward to reading of your decisions.

Happy camping
KB

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
Butch, again, welcome to The Show, hope you enjoy the ride.

Modcon's are typically well built & designed. We have a newish [2011] FF hardfloor & are very happy with it.

If you want to know more about your particular model, give Kerry @ Modcon a call, he is a great bloke & is very approachable.

All the best

p.s. Where are you situated? If you are in or near Brissy, Modcon's factory is in Capalaba
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:37:21 AM by HEM19X »
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Butch

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
Thanks Guys

Im down on the NSW mid nth Coast at Coffs.  I'm trying to get up to the factory but might give them a call for starters.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
We bought a 04/05 Modcon Overlander in 2009 and have only recently sold it and now have a Aust Off Road hard floor camper. (Still miss it but :'() Over the 4 years we had it we did a number of trips, just over 60,000 kilometres and about 42 weeks in total and loved it.  We took it over some of the roughest roads/tracks and it never let us down.  It towed brilliantly.  We did lose the rebound springs off the springs on some of the roughest roads, but after talking to several manufacturers we did not replace them and the springs still worked perfectly. We had a full size king innerspring mattress and that was so good!  The only reason we changed campers is that we are now doing some more long term trips, currently 6 months, and wanted some extra comfits and more of the ability for quick setups and no pegging required.  With the soft floor if there was any wind we had to peg the floor down.  Also it was a little limited where you could setup, for example if the ground was very rocky or muddy. But the Modcon was a well built and very strong camper.  We also had our Modcon set up for solar and had two batteries and a 12 volt electric pump for the water.  Being a simple trailer it was easy to service and to add little extras. The Modcon also had heaps of room on the floor for extra sleeping arrangements.  We paid $9,000 in 2009 and sold it to friends for $7,000.  The friends have 3 children and they said it would be perfect for all of them. It was in perfect condition when we bought it but a little well used when sold it.  A fair bit of red Kimberley dirt on the canvas.    Kevin

Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
Hi Butch
We have a Origin, it suits our need perfectly, especially as the purchase price was very cheap.
The quality through is easily found and the tent is what impressed me. Ours is a rear fold, I am making a few changes to it to make life comfortable.
I'd recommend it for sure, provided it has been looked after of course.
Cheers
Dave
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
Thanks Guys

Im down on the NSW mid nth Coast at Coffs.  I'm trying to get up to the factory but might give them a call for starters.

Thanks again everyone.

Butch, It's a bit of a drive but the Modcon crew will be at the Lismore Camping show [5-7 July].

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Butch

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
Thank you everyone's comments. I appreciate it. Think I will go ahead and get one.