Author Topic: 1 tonne trailer kits  (Read 1643 times)

Offline jakewaze

• Learning the Ropes
1 tonne trailer kits
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
Hi
I need to buy suspension, hubs, axle and brakes etc for my trailer build. Huntsman Products do a lot of trailer kits, but none that are rated to 1 tonne with brakes. They do 1 tonne without brakes or 1.4tonne with brakes. Searching online I can only find 1.4 tonne kits that include brakes. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a kit? Buying everything separate adds to be alot more.

Cheers
It maybe illegal, but that doesn't make it wrong

Offline ScottH

• Swag User
Re: 1 tonne trailer kits
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »
Looking at the Huntsman website, you could buy the 1T eye-to-eye kit for ~$280, add the electric brake kit $215 and then you just need to add the handbrake & cable (say$40), for a total of $535. Mechanical adds another $35 from what I can see. Note that you will need to weld the backing plate to the axle, but that is very simple to do.

Most people buy a 1T trailer kit and register the trailer with a max weight of 750kg, so don't need brakes.

How close to 1T will your loaded weight be? I always like to have a bit of headroom to allow for possible overloading, bad track conditions, etc. The 1.4T setup might not be such a bad idea for the sake of the extra $50 or so.

Offline jakewaze

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
Looking at the Huntsman website, you could buy the 1T eye-to-eye kit for ~$280, add the electric brake kit $215 and then you just need to add the handbrake & cable (say$40), for a total of $535. Mechanical adds another $35 from what I can see. Note that you will need to weld the backing plate to the axle, but that is very simple to do.

Most people buy a 1T trailer kit and register the trailer with a max weight of 750kg, so don't need brakes.

How close to 1T will your loaded weight be? I always like to have a bit of headroom to allow for possible overloading, bad track conditions, etc. The 1.4T setup might not be such a bad idea for the sake of the extra $50 or so.

Just looking at that now, might be a good option, Works out to be pretty well priced
Weight will be 6-800kg depending on how much water/fuel i have on board so 1 tonne should give me that bit extra. 750kg would be pushing i think.

Offline jakewaze

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »
Can get eye to eye springs, mechanical drums, the u bolts/mounts wtc for $540 delivered. I think I'll go with that. I'll grab an axle local so I can get the right size size Huntsman don't do one.
I should have looked outside of whole kits originally lol.